aTm on probation

You made my point. What Coogs fans are saying is what Ag fans are saying. Long term commitment for proven coach, good recruiter, it’s coming. Not an Aggie fan here in any way . I was just making the point depending on what side of the table your on, it still sounds the same. My post was more in response to the posters mocking 7-5 recrd in SEC Conf! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

With the amount of money we are spending on our staff, our return has not been what I am looking for in the win column either.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, the tough SEC. You schedule 3-4 glorified high school teams, that’s 3-4 wins. Not everyone in the SEC is Alabama. 7-5 is underachieving. As for our 1st season under Holgs, we saw the dumpster fire he took over, and while 4-8, we were realistically in every game until the 3-4 quarter. I expect 8-4 this year.

3 Likes

So true. I’m not buying this whole the SEC is tough garbage. Maybe for teams who aren’t in that conference, but aggie has as much talent as anyone in that conference not named Bama,LSU and Georgia.

That said, they don’t play Georgia every year and with an average of 5 losses, that tells you that they’re getting beat by other teams.

And please…CDH haters…Jimbo didnt take over a team that recently got blew out by Army in a bowl game. They’re not the same. Also one coach is going on his second year while another is going on his 3rd. Stop it.

6 Likes

Because being “in games” in the 3rd and 4th quarter is a metric of success.

Of course. All of us fans will have different expectations. For the longterm health of our program I was looking at a 3 to 5 year return of our program to 2015/2016 levels.

But honestly, the average Coog fan had no idea how badly our program fell from Herman to the Major over 2 years and last year needed to be an investment year to get older, more mature, stronger, deeper, turn over some kids, and to bring in the transfers. We are definitely going to be better this year if there is a season which I believe there will be one at some point in time. But with the virus, we don’t know how the virus may or may not impact us.

But with the economic impact that is happening to college football even if we do play a season, we probably are going to have to return to being prett good for the financial stabability of the program sooner than later. Hopefully by the 2021/22 season we are performing high enough to be pulling in more revenue to counter the 2020/21 economic impact.

Fans need to think back.

Remember when Herman arrived to a stacked team with many proven seniors and future NFL players ( thanks Tony)… then think back to when CDH arrived to a team of unknowns with 3 straight mediocre at best recruiting classes, no redshirt program, players who had not had to work hard the past 2 years for a coach who was way in over his head… Nuff said !!

8 Likes

That’s right Cary. With 35 Red Shirts, a bunch of injuries and yes, staying in games until late with a depleted roster and many injuries is a metric… All of that determination coming back, 35 Red Shirts that practiced with the players all year and those quality transfers means we should win at least 8 this year.

4 Likes

Only on Coogfans will a post about aggie facing violations can turn into the fan base defending the head coach of the Coogs. Never a dull moment. :joy:

3 Likes

Oh it’s been very dull with Coog sports since I left FC parking area in early March after a WIN over Memphis! Now I only get to count how many times the COVID19 posters will keep closing down their own thread with back n forth silly Politics. Like one side is going to be completely right…Pssh!

1 Like

I would trade places with Agy hi any day of the week…but I would like to have their fan support before we do so…

I would too! I have often said we should make our students “an offer they could not refuse,” like “show up at the games or get no degree.” But, that is a joke - sorta; could never be done.

But, something similar seems possible to me: “make them an offer they would be happy to accept” would be more like it! Come up with a way to tell if a student attends any sporting event, and then reward them with some kind of reduction in their tuition or living expenses. The cost could be adjusted up or down as needed.

1 Like

THIS!!!

I’m convinced that if we hired Bill Belichick and went undefeated for 10 straight seasons, some folks on here would still complain about something.

5 Likes

I would like to meet those people. Obviously they would need some help and immediately! :grin:

1 Like

Yep, Herman inherited a team that absolutely steamrolled a P5 program in the 4th quarter in the greatest comeback in school history during that bowl game. CDH inherited a team that got destroyed by Army in our bowl game along with against other teams during the 2nd half of the season. A huge difference!

I remember when Herman recognized the comeback win against Pitt at his introduction. I kinda felt he was happy to see what he was inheriting but it also appeared to me that he may be recognizing that this increases the expectations to perform higher with that great comeback. After mildly congratulating the team, he then ranted how the culture of the team needed to change without meeting with one of his new players. That was the strange part of the Herman introduction to me.

Herman certainly got a loaded gun full of talent, he just needed to motivate them far better than Tony and teach those kids how to win.

Dana got a dumpster fire and had to implement a RS investment program to get older and stronger to get better quicker.

3 Likes

That statement seems incongruent to me. If you say, “Maybe for teams who aren’t in that conference,” isn’t that the same as saying it is a tough conference? Let’s put it this way, the SEC had 8 wins and 1 loss in post season play this past year – including yet another CFP championship.

Sure, there will always be a couple of teams in every conference that are below average for the conference. However, I would bet the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the SEC would beat the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the B1G, B12, PAC12, and ACC.

I was saying the SEC is a tough conference for OOC foes to compete against. aggie, is not an OOC team and has the resources to complete. I brought up the big 3 players in the SEC because one can argue that a&m isn’t on their level in regards to talent.

If you’re going to make this statement, then you need to acknowledge the other part of my point where I mention a&m averages 5 loses; therefore they have to be losing to below average teams in that conference.

^^^ Now this is funny. You’re in for a surprise. lol

The last two examples aren’t “P5” foes ,but they don’t weaken my point. Every year some SEC team loses games “it shouldn’t” and all we hear is SEC! SEC! You call it below average for that conference…If it’s consistent, then I call it reality. :sleeping:

Last year aTm lost to Clemson, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU. I wouldn’t say any of those were below average.

Last year:
K State was 8-5
Appalachian State was 13-1 (So Carolina lost their 1st string QB in 1st game and 2nd string QB in the 6th game)
Western Kentucky was 9-4
California was 8-5
None of those would be bottom 2 or 3

Here is my point, while I understand there is general animosity toward aTm in particular and the SEC in general by many UH fans, the SEC is the best conference in the country and aTm has a pretty good team, like most other teams in the country, they just have a hard time against Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU. As much as this is hard for UH fans to hear, I do expect them to do better as Jimbo builds his program.

I have tried to moderate my attitude toward other teams and try not to hate any other team, it does me no good and doesn’t affect them at all. Since I have 5 nieces and nephews that either have graduated from aTm or are there now, I have softened my opinion of them and actually pull for them against other teams except UH and LSU – as I promised my sweet niece. However, I have not managed to stop hating UT – OK, I admit I don’t even try.

It all boils down to the fact that I can enjoy life better without the hate. I also believe that much of the hate by UH fans towards other schools is really due due jealousy. At my age, I just accept things I can’t change and roll with the punches. The years tend to either mellow us or harden us’ I choose the former.

2 Likes

Don’t be jealous of ut bro :grinning:

Hate is a strong word for TU…I have plenty of great friends from TU and EatEm, most of whom have no idea what the PUF even is.

I do however despise the institutions, and understand fully their greed. Back room deals have killed us for generations, to ignore these facts would be imprudent at best.

I trust them like gas station sushi.

5 Likes