B1G Commish threatens to kick Nebraska out if they play elsewhere

1 Like

Well we know the Big12 is out. Maybe an SEC invite in hand!

what if Nebraska plays indy for one year. bet acc and sec would adjust their rules. play 3 sec, 3 acc, 3 b12. and 2 aac.

1 Like

That sounds about right. If you go rogue, against what your governing body says, then that governing body can take action against you.

Let me get my popcorn. This is going to be exciting to watch.

5 Likes

Somebody please convInce ECU and Tulsa to go rogue! lol

6 Likes

So basically if they went indy, they could then negotiate their own tv deal this season? Could they potentially make more since there will be fewer games available to networks?? I assume they are in the 3-5 range of more marketable programs in the Big 10 so value is there. Of course they would need some decent opponents too.

Hypothetical: Nebraska, Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St, and one other decide to play a mini season with round robin and a couple other games, negotiating their own tv deal. Maybe even steal the Big 10 bowl bids if those games happen, keeping the payouts to themselves. Would it be a success and could it potentially destroy the Big 10 or conferences in general?

Should they get booted from the B1G, I doubt they would have a problem finding another conference. They already border Missouri, so they would fit the SEC footprint. They also border Colorado which puts them in the PAC12 footprint.

Of course, the AAC doesn’t care about footprints and would welcome them with open arms. Adding Nebraska might just push the AAC into a true P6 – or maybe even replace the PAC12 in the P5. OK, replacing the PAC12 isn’t likely, but a true P6 with equality.

After all of this moving and shaking, I wonder if some of these schools wish they had not abandoned the Big8 and joined with the evil one in Austin. I wonder if the old Big 8 would like to reform and maybe even add a couple of teams not named UT. I know that from the Big 8, Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou didn’t like being in a conference with UT. Obviously old SWC members Arrkansas and Texas A&M didn’t either.

I would love it if the former Big8 members left their current conferences and again joined together with their old conference mates and added a couple of other teams in adjacent states. What non-B12 schools would fit in that scenario? Let’s see, there would be UH (TX borders OK), Memphis (TN borders MO), and…, and… Well, there’s Colorado State and Air Force.

What would really take the rag off the bush would be for all old Big 8 teams rejoin and invite UH, TT, Memphis, and Colorado State then tell UT to go butt a rubber stump.

2 Likes

The schools are not moving. Nobody is playing. Some just want to be the tough guys in the room. It is a macho thing.

Why only sue a university when you can sue its partners too. The conference and network.

The networks are not broadcasting news, they are broadcasting a sports event that they own.

And if you can’t find a lawyer to connect the dots, hire another lawyer.

Nebraska would never lower themselves to the AAC, forget about it lol

5 Likes

I think the most interesting realignment would be to go back to regional type conferences with a few big dogs in each then each champ gets a playoff spot with some at large bids. I used to find the old system better when the SWC , Big East and Big 8 were around. Miami and Neb used to be big dogs bc the conf. weren’t as tough top to bottom. The Acc isn’t that strong but Miami ruled in the big East with a chip on their shoulder. This ties into if Neb leaves. If they join the sec, it’s just way to tough a league.

I know, just banter.

i’m sure they could go back to the little 12, maybe they realize they never should have left…hmmm. Texas BS or BIG BS which is better?

1 Like

The solution is obvious.

Nebraska back to the big 12-4+2 and ut to the Big 10…then you would have at least 4 teams leaving the big 10 within a couple of years just to get away from the arrogance of ut demanding everything.

Another conference shuffle ensues and then ESPN has fodder for another decade !!

Everybody wins and gets $$$$$ !!!

1 Like

Nebraska and UH to the pac 12

2 Likes

Why not…lets get on the phone…err after PAC 12 change play stance of course.

1 Like

If the B1G were to kick out Nebraska for trying to play when the B1G would not. I could see Nebraska laying a big lawsuit on the B1G for not letting them make a living so to speak and failing in their duty to each school.

2 Likes

Nah. Anybody can sue. A lot tougher to win.

I’m sure there are clauses in the membership agreements that require certain compliance with conference decisions and the consequences are probably spelled out, as well.

And what would you sue them for? They don’t want you to be a part of their group? You may have a claim for any past due compensation, but I’m sure exit fees/compensation are all pretty clear in the agreement or the bylaws.

I said this in another post: I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the other Big 10 teams have some buyers’ remorse re Nebraska. And I’d bet Nebraska isn’t too happy about being a perennial also-ran in the Big 10. Maybe they’ll negotiate a mutually agreeable divorce. Maybe they can get a better deal for a new conference they join. Or maybe Nebraska is willing to sacrifice a few million a year to try to get back to national prominence.

Who knows? But I love to watch infighting among the monied class.

4 Likes

OK, so apparently Nebraska is folding its cards.

I guess the threat worked!

1 Like

Kick out Nebraska and add Houston.

2 Likes

Way too much money to walk from.

1 Like