B1G Commish threatens to kick Nebraska out if they play elsewhere

How much does Nebraska lose this yr along with Lincoln’s economy since that town relies on Nebraska football each yr

2 Likes

“Stay in your place Nebraska.” Is what he meant, and it worked!

4 Likes

I had no doubt the threat would work. Nebraska is not Ohio State, Michigan or even Penn State. They have little cachet in the Big Ten right now and their president was not going to give up that easy money of $54M a year.

1 Like

AAC needs a new team. AAC should invite them straight up. Then claim its rightful P5 status.

Nebraska hates UT. UH being elevated would hurt UT…maybe they’d go for it.

2 Likes

I think the thing we are all forgetting is the money. We don’t have $54 million a year to offer Nebraska, therefore our wishlist is just that: a wishlist!

2 Likes

Let me get this straight without everyone getting angry at me.

Folks are suggesting that a school drop out of the premier athletic league in this country with all of its prestige, honor, recognition and money and then join the American Athletic Conference. A school would do this just to make another school that they have nothing to do with angry.

Where do I begin?

I will just say one thing. The schools in the American don’t really want to be in the American. We are only here because it is the least worst.

4 Likes

U could always go back to ur mental health comment, our medical school comment on another thread??

1 Like

Do you want to get me put on double secret probation?

Don’t get all nit picky now. LOL.

1 Like

Don’t you be bringing in a load of reality to my fantasy fest now.

1 Like

That is like being a brother of Omega Theta Pi then renouncing your membership and pledging Delta Tau Chi.
Who would do that!

2 Likes

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor…

2 Likes
1 Like

Financially, Nebraska stands to lose $50 million in payout. Plus all the economic loss in Lincoln from all the home games lost.

If (and its a BIG IF) the Big 12 plays, they will still collect their $40 (tier 1 and 2 only) million payout. It made sense financially for Nebraska to try and partner with the Big 12.

When Nebraska moved the Big 10, they had to pay $10M exit fee, and wait 6 years to get full Big 10 payout. If they had remained in the Big 12, in that same time they would have earned $125M as a Big 12 member as opposed to $80M they earned in the Big 10. The move to the Big 10 cost Nebraska $55M in lost revenue and exit fees.

Given the differential in Big 12 and Big 10 payouts, it would have taken at least 10 years for Nebraska to break even. Now add to $55M, the $50M million they will lose this year and you can see it’ll take Nebraska a lot more time to make up the money they have had to give up for joining the Big 10 relative to what they would have earned had they remained in the Big 12.

Then there is the potential hit to recruiting.

I believe the Big 10/Pac 12 are betting heavily that the Big 12/ACC/SEC will “see the light” and cancel the season.

1 Like

The 1918 pandemic ended world war 2.

I thought dropping a-bombs on Japan ended World War II. (Kidding)

1 Like

I am shocked that a conference commish made that threat. He works for the schools. Of course if he thinks he can develop a coalition to kick a university out so be it. But each of those schools decides who is commish and they pay his check. The universities are the bosses, not the commish.

True, but I imagine if the other presidents all went forward with the decision or are choosing to abide by that decision, it would be be too hard to bill is that coalition to the school that thinks they are too important to not play. Especially in regards to the B1G, and NU isn’t a big fish in that pond.

The BIG10 season is postponed not cancelled.
Read between the lines of what the ncaa is saying.

We could see a Spring Football national bogus (always is) championship. The ncaa wants money, lots of money…follow the money. Nebraska is not going anywhere.

The vote was 12-2. The commissioner knew exactly what he was doing and he had the support of at least 12 presidents.