B1G Commish threatens to kick Nebraska out if they play elsewhere

Even if he felt that way, I wouldn’t make that threat public against a member institution that didn’t agree with a position. Not professional, not representing the positions of all member institutions at all levels. Besides you have ADs and coaches and now players from different member institutions publically taking a different view from coaches from OSU, NB, Iowa, Purdue etc.

There was a letter of 60 Iowa parents that was delivered to the B1G yesterday in support of the Trevor Lawerence “We Want To Play” mentality. They made it sound like the decision was made from the Ivory Tower but from bunker mentality without input from ADs, coaches, players, parents. You never know when the tied will change in these times.

We’ll be watching where the cracks develop over the next month, or going into the future. That big broadcast contract they have is made from the market share that each uniiversity brings to it. NB and their supporting fans is not a small market school.

https://twitter.com/murphykeith/status/1294307491568857088?s=21

The AAC should publicly invite Nebraska. Of course they would say no but it would be good publicity for the conference.

2 Likes

Good point but…our commish is spineless, tied to the hip with the ncaa and the likes of espn. Remember the position that he took when UCF finished undefeated. He not only downplayed UCF’s achievement but quickly swept it under the rug.

3 Likes

Put your confidence in no man!

• Bible
3 Likes

Guess what?

One University of Michigan physician is strongly questioning the paper that the B1G schools used as a justification for cancelling the Fall season.

See here.

1 Like

I don’t see the benefit of being publicly spurned.

3 Likes

What a shock !! More misleading medical opinions.

More BS statistics.

Time to get on with life !!

4 Likes

People on here apparently think that college football glory is the only reason universities and conferences exist. Outside of the Ivy League, the BIG Ten is the preeminent academic conference on Earth! Nebraska and Missouri fought each other tooth and nail to get that invite (which ultimately went to Nebraska). Why? Because As a public university, inclusion in the BIG Ten carries enormous weight. It means you have access to billions of research dollars, both public and private; billions of dollars in public support, and billions more in donations and revenue from very, very wealthy alumni.

The idea that Nebraska would risk getting kicked out of the BIG Ten because it’s overrated loudmouth coach says something he had no business saying is absurd. Nebraska literally committed fraud to get accepted into the BIG Ten. The BIG Ten has a rule that to be accepted you have to be a member in good standing in the Association of American Universities (AAU). At that the time of its application to join the BIG Ten in 2010, Nebraska was an AAU member; however it knew that’s its status was under review and that it was likely to be removed due to its miscalculation of research dollars (it was counting research dollars from its UN-Omaha satellite in its UN-Lincoln numbers, which is not allowed). The moment Nebraska was accepted to the BIG Ten, it withdrew from the AAU rather than experience the embarrassment of being kicked out. (BTW, same thing happened to Syracuse).

This really upset a lot of the BIG Ten member schools, many of whom preferred Missouri due to its academic reputation and its existing rivalry with Illinois.

Trust that it Nebraska left, Kansas and Georgia Tech would be invited in in 5 minutes and would accept in even less time. Not to mention Colorado. I live in Atlanta and that is the hope of every GaTech alumnus. There was a rumor going around that Ga Tech and UNC were going be invited in 2013, but that ESPN asked the BIG Ten not to because it would destroy the ACC, which ESPN basically owns lock stock and barrel. Heck, it was all over Atlanta sports radio!

So, Nebraska has no leverage in this situation at all. None. You guys are acting like Nebraska is some powerhouse. Nebraska is a football also ran that regularly loses to my Alma Mater, Iowa, and I don’t mean that as a compliment.

2 Likes

Actually, Nebraska didn’t “withdraw” from the AAU.

Nebraska got straight-up KICKED OUT!!!

The AAU voted to expel Nebraska by a super-majority vote. Syracuse might have been kicked out as well, but they withdrew voluntarily to avoid the humiliation.

Yes, Nebraska improperly counted research dollars from their state system’s stand-alone medical school in Omaha, as well as non-competitive USDA research dollars to try and reach the AAU benchmarks, which is something that the AAU does NOT permit.

1 Like

Not a surprise! But if they used flawed data to make such a critical business decision heads need to roll starting with the commish and all involved.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked in quite a while, but how close or far off is UH to qualifying to their requirements?

1 Like

Hey, your Visitors’ Pink Locker Room is the envy of All…:+1::smiley:

PS…The N on the helmet stands for “Nowledge”…

3 Likes

What if Nebraska plays 10 televised “scrimmages” vs other teams? Do they still get kicked out? Just wondering.

1 Like

Correction, the Big Ten Conference is a Division 1 collegiate “athletics” conference, not an academic conference. Yes, they are all excellent academic institutions that pride themselves on their research achievements and leadership. But its primary objectives and purpose is excellence in collegiate athletics.

1 Like

Although they started this spinoff.

https://www.btaa.org/about/history

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it a “spin off” of the Big 10 Conference, its a separate organization formed by the Presidents of the member institutions who are participants of the Big 10 Conference.

1 Like

BS. Publicly challenging the conference is not professional. Neb. had their say at the Big 10 meetings. As crazy as it sounds, it cannot be denied that the Big 10 puts academics before athletics. And the Big 10 presidents know if something goes wrong, it’s their head on the chopping block.

BTW, you’re some sort of consultant. What do companies do when they adopt a policy, take on a project or the like and the rank and file start publicly challenging the company? They cut out the cancer.

It’s not a frickin’ democracy. Presidents were hired to make decisions like this. They answer to a board and nobody else.

You spent several months pissin’ and moanin’ about all those BLM protestors. Now you’re lauding them. Make up your mind.

1 Like

Why are you getting so upset about this? You sound angry! Does this call impact you in some form?

Making a public threat as the commish did is unprofessional. NB desires to play like many of the B1G coaches have confirmed from OSU, NB, Purdue, and I even think the Michigan coach has said the same. OSU was looking to play elsewhere also. The B1G commish should keep that inside the house with a threat like that and not in the press.

My issue has been with the riots and the destruction of businesses and property that have hurt far more people. No problem with any peaceful protest at all. That is a big difference to parents of players writing a letter and questioning the decision as a little protest of the decision made by the university presidents? Have the conference headquarters been destroyed, fire bombed by this 60 family protest letter? I don’t think so. The university presidents are big boys and girls, they should be able to take the heat with their jobs.

However, if they made their decision based upon bad data that was also called out in this thread, they should take the heat for that move also from their BOR, for this was a big time business decision for their conference with significant financial impacts.

2 Likes

I read the article from the Iowa players’ parents and I agree with their concerns about a cancelled season. One parent made a very valid point. The Big 10 Commissioner has a son who plays for Miss State. Why is he allowed to play, but her son cannot? Is it safe for some conferences and not for others? Has he complained to the SEC about his concerns that he so adamantly made clear for his own conference? I don’t see how you can play a fall and spring season. It’s just not a wise choice. Just my opinion.

5 Likes

Nine OU players tested positive AFTER going home on break. Young people are not going to social distance and huddle in their homes when they are not on campus. At first I thought there is no way you should play this season. But thinking through the player safety issue, they are safer at campus practicing, working out and living with the same 100 people.

4 Likes