Baby Briles

But then Tech would go after Briles, then what?

You guys are a bunch of worrying old ladies.

Agreed it’s defetism at its finest.

7 Likes

I predicted that we’d win by 4 TDs or more.

So we won by three
OK. Fair enough. We still won and it wasn’t a squeaker.

Obviously, there were kinks (run blocking in the first half, kick scoring, punt returning), but I hope that in the “you improve more between games one and two than any other” time period, we get those kinks worked out.

Hopefully, AZ won’t improve as much and will be just as unimpressive against us as they were against BYU.

Regarding Briles, we had some issues with the run game in the first half, but we finished the game with 257 rushing yards, 577 total yards, and 45 points (all offensive), and a huge yards per play average
so I’m certainly not going to complain about the offensive coordinator at this point.

Those numbers speak for themselves.

2 Likes

It wasn’t a squeaker? We were down at half, and if Rice came out and would have scored a TD we probably would have lost, thankfully they didn’t and we won, but let’s dont act like it wasn’t close, I was very worried at halftime

If this is the type of threads after a win I hate to see what happens when they lose.

3 Likes

It wasn’t close. A three TD victory with over 577 total yards is not particularly close.

One TD or less is “close.” Two TDs (12-16 points) is decisive. Three TDs or more (18-24 pts) is a convincing win.

Four TDs or more (over 24 pts.) is a blowout.

Halftime score doesn’t matter. It’s the FINAL score that matters and if the final score shows a 3 TD difference, as this one did, then it isn’t close.

2 Likes

if he is successful, UH will retain him.

1 Like

If a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his butt. If, if, if. That means nothing. What means something is that we turned it around and beat them convincingly. Yes, it was worrisome at the half; but that’s why they play the whole game.

1 Like

Dislikes

3rd down, and 4th, read option hand offs up the middle for little, no gain, or loss. Last time we did it we got a 1st down but only because RB muscled it after being hit in the backfield.

We got away from that and sailed
some because didn’t have 3rd downs on the quick drives.

Not a lot of negative plays
Not a lot, 2 maybe, throws behind the LOS
No running to the line after a big play to rush the next play, snapping it and taking a loss. We played fast but in control.
Only one fumble when receiver was holding ball out in front of him everyone else taking care of the rock
Feel good about receiving corps we reloaded successfully
Big plays are back - 12 plays for +20y, 2 +50y TDs
Big Ed is a monster - Not offense and We know but it’s fun to repeat

Probably not plausible, but we should try to lock Briles up before he gets away

1 Like

A lot is made about showing plays too early in the season. It has some truth to it but we all know Coaches know each other mindsets well, very well. It is part of the job to be a position Coach all the way to HC. What makes the difference is how you utilize the best player’s traits. How much are we getting out of our players? That is always the key question.

Briles isnt going to leave after 1 year
Apple is more likely to leave after a successful season than KB
When Judas flames out at Texas, it will Apple they will be after
KB is going to be our future HC, if we have any sense.

3 Likes

CMA is going to have to have a good 2018 and 2019 to get interest. I think Kendal stays at least a couple of years. This isn’t an FAU situation. He needs to restablish himself in Texas football again for a couple years before it becomes “okay” to hire him. We got a little bit of a pass because he is an alumnus.

They aren’t going to hire Major, they’ll want someone considered top-shelf after flaming out with Herman.

2 Likes

ut will not want CMA. Not a big enough splash.

I heard that some of the big $$$ boosters have been trying to see if Lombardi can be exhumed and let the famous ut med school bring him back to life !!

3 Likes

They won’t hire two UH coaches in a row. aTm did the same thing, many were pining for Judas to replace Scumlin, but they were against hiring another UH HC no matter how good.

Major had a little baggage when he left UT so I think that + not being a proven winner at a P5 level + being the UH coach will keep him away from UT
for now.

There are many reasons why Applewhite wouldn’t be hired by UT.

The question is would he go to uta? My impression is that there was some bad blood between them.

He left his last job after 1 year. Money is money.