Big 12 Football: Top 5 expansion candidates for the conference

He was saying it is cheaper to fly from Houston to LA than Houston to Stillwater.

i think pac is correct assuming ut and ou are going sec or BIG.
uh, ka tcu, byu if they can drop the play on sunday’s objection are best options for the PAC.
this gives high academics in or near large cities.
if no byu then maybe new mexico in albuquerque
not a huge town but easy to get to.

tech and baylor deliver nothing…podunk towns, not what pac is after.
okie lite too lite on academics but 50 miles from okc, it could be an option if needed.

1 Like

Tech and Baylor deliver more than what New Mexico offers.

albuquerque is easier to fly into, closer to other pac schools, i believe has solid academic reputation, twice the population of lubbock and 5 times that of waco.

2 Likes

This may play into the equation. All things remain the same then the PAC and BIG would benefit the most from inviting UH. I know, I know, we don’t have the academics for the Big…yet.

perhaps we view this thing all wrong, perhaps FANG facebook, amazon, netflix, google are the next big disruption. why assume they just want to dip their toe in the water. they are not some fledgling companies looking for a shot, they are behemouths who could bankroll the entire NFL.

so why not take all the huge programs and prominent schools usc, ucla, notre dame, ohio state, alabama, lsu, michigan, fsu, florida, clemson, auburn, ou, texas, tennessee, oregon, georgia, texas atm, az state, stanford, pick another 5 and start a new league.
a semipro league that drafts like baseball, pays players a minor league salary with firm set pay rates that cannot be exceeded, but players can keep their own endorsement revenue, has an affiliation with nfl or maybe mcmahon’s xfl, they can stay in the system for 6 years, play for 5.
they could get a degree in anything they want but the only mandatory course of study is football, includes sports management, contracts, advertising, Radio TV, public speaking, accounting and finance…
this would be welcome by guys like saban…
this would redraw college football.
5 stars and most 4 stars would be in the new league.
actual student athletes would be in college football, and all the conferences could be realigned based on geography and rivalries etc…

You mean a G5 playoff that ESPN has been trying to cram down our throat???

NO EFFING WAY!

I think that’s where some want it to go, but there’s a tenuous balance there. Would those big schools make more money going off on their own like that? Maybe at first, but I think it’s a losing bet long term, and they know it.

1. some of those schools will become perennial losers or even mediocre over time without having weaker schools to beat up on. Fanbase and viewership will decline sharply for those schools.

2. Part of the appeal of college football is watching how others do in relation to your squad. Separating those schools out effectively ends viewership of those schools for a lot of folks. Basically why the G5 playoff is a bad idea for the P5.

3. This is basically forming a minor league for the NFL (and yes, I know that it already is, but this makes it official). So far, folks in the US haven’t accepted minor leagues on a large platform and I doubt they would here.

4. Not sure the anti-trust ramifications that would go into play here, but I’m not sure state supported public schools would be eligible to be part of this.

In the end, I don’t think the P5 schools want to push any further than they have already. Separating themselves would probably end badly and end the money flow.

1 Like

The towns themselves don’t matter but Texas tech graduates spread out in a state of 18 million people. Same with Waco. Heck, Baylor has more top 200 players from Texas than any other school so I’m pretty sure the win loss record would favor Baylor over New Mexico.

New Mexico is an afterthought.

quit talking about Baylor. The PAC has said numerous times they will NOT bring in a church school. TCU, Baylor, BYU have never, and will never, be considered.

2 Likes

Thank you for the PAC reminder. Some folks just can’t get seem to get off the church school band wagon.

1 Like

When has the PAC stated this? Wishful thinking will not prevent our competition from having a leg up on us.

But the point of this is who will go to the PAC with UH. New Mexico is a non starter. 19k attendance during a winning season.

The big 12 will likely stay together with OU and UT staying so who does that leave for the PAC to expand east? UH and ???

If the Big 12 does happen to dissolve then Texas tech and Baylor and TCU are legitimate targets, despite wishful thinking here.

Tech…yes.

TCU…eh…nothing spectacular about them other than Patterson, but Del Conte will have some feelings for them.

Baylor has no chance. PAC12 will not take a religious school (they’ve said as much in regards to BYU) and Baylor’s history speaks for itself. There’s a reason they fought so hard to keep the Big12 together the last time as they will not be in a Power Conference otherwise. Shouldn’t be in one now if not for Texas politics.

1 Like

the Big 12 is NOT staying together…at least not with Texas and OU…OU and Texas have refused to extend the GOR…they do NOT intend to stay…the only question is where they go and who else, if anyone, they take with them…They wont go west, as PAC doesnt pay enough…BIG, SEC or ACC…i think Texas and someone else goes to BIG, OU and someone else goes to SEC…
THEN, will PAC make a move, or not? I think they do…They will take Houston and 3 other academically qualifying state schools from Big 12…If PAC does nothing, Big 12 will rebuild and Houston will be a part of that… All this is 4 or 5 years in future, when BIG and PAC tv deals are close to expiration and Big 12 GOR like wise…NOTHING is going to happen now.