Big 12 Non-Expansion Link Dump - October 18th

https://twitter.com/BDavisAAS/status/790945109067960323

https://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN/status/790949874325856261

https://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN/status/790953346093809664

And the conference commissioner can’t even keep to the bullet points that they released a week ago…

Malloy Reached Out To ESPN On Behalf Of UConn In Big 12 Expansion Debate

Skipper then called Bowlsby, according to a source, and while maintaining the position that ESPN preferred no expansion, told the Big 12 commissioner if the league did add teams, that as corporate citizens in Connecticut, ESPN would appreciate that UConn be given all due consideration.

Big 12 won’t go with divisions in 2017; will match up 2 top teams. Every decision goes against what firms told them in regards to increasing playoff chances.

https://twitter.com/blatanthomerism/status/792020830700052485

They are an absolute dumpster fire…that stopped taking their medications.

1 Like

Uhhh … sorry but that makes dumb and dumber look like Oxford geniuses …

Neither WVA nor Baylor will ever enter the top 10 … the cubbies will for generations have the “leper” stigma attached to them … only Mother Theresa being HC would remove it.

There is a high probability that the top two teams will each have one loss or more … then if they play each other again one more loss and they are both out of the CFP if they weren’t out already.

Dead man walking … doomed to oblivion … bound for the garbage heap … neighbors to the Titanic … I am sowton more descriptions will be created for the BXII in the future.

They never would have done it that way 5 years ago. It shows you how far Texas and OU have fell from expecting to be at the top to hoping for a second chance if they lose to the top team.

I’m not sure UT/OU even care at this point. Think it has more to do with outside interests (ESPN/FOX) dictating things.

I imagine they don’t want to end up with a WVA-Baylor championship and are hoping that this eventually will bring about UT-OU playing again in the championship…or OU-OSU in future years.

No divisions probably makes the most sense if you have a 10 team league that plays a round-robin schedule. What would have made more sense was expanding or not having a championship game if you don’t expand. Just no leadership in that conference right now.

1 Like

Oh, there is leadership alright - it is all in Austin! All the rest do as they are told.

BIG 12 TITLE DECISIONS COULD BACKFIRE
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/207414920/big-12-championship-game-no-divisions?partnerId=as_mlb_20161028_67338206&adbid=792073350432497664&adbpl=tw&adbpr=595667888

This is the same conference that, in May 2014, had its commissioner aggressively suggest the conference had to have a title game. Then two months later, decide not to play one, touting its model and road to the playoff, before changing its mind again. A year later, the conference began a four-month process exploring expansion, taking meetings with 20 schools and hosting in-person presentations from 11 only to decide, “Thanks, but no thanks,” and leave a trail of scowling Group of Five administrators in its wake.

Want to watch something shoot itself in the foot? Perhaps undercut its own success on the field and on paper? What about further damaging its reputation in the world of college football?

Pay attention to the Big 12 long enough, and you might see all three.

This has always been my opinion. Losing the institutions they lost were too damaging. The LHN was the beginning, the end is near. Entering that conference now is just hanging around until it goes away. Our best bet is look other places.

I tend to believe this too about the B12 being a “dead man walking.” The fault for the Big 12’s downfall was caused by one man…DeLoss Dodds. Due to his overwhelming arrogance and bullying of conference members for UT’s benefit, rather than doing what’s best for the entire B12…and therefore UT, he alone drove CU, Nebraska, A&M and Mizzou to leave the B12. (Okay, only the loss of Nebraska and A&M hurt the Big 12.) Google comments by T. Boone Pickens about UT/Dodds bullying and you’ll understand what I’m referring too.

Facts is, the rumors a few years ago about Clemson and FSU joining the B12 were true, but that arrogant SOB insisted he could do better by landing Notre Dame. So What? No school in the B12 at that time had any history with Notre Dame and B12 fans pretty much yawned at the prospect, but DD always had his eyes on $$$$. In his mind, that’s what defined his tenure as UT’s AD. If UT’s athletic department made more money than any other school, he was a success. He didn’t care about Horn fans, alumni, longterm athletic success, etc. So now we have the result of his myopic narcissism, a disfunctional conference.

Frankly, adding 2 new members won’t save the B12, if UT and OU leave, unless both schools are currently currently in a P5 conference. Aaaaand my girl is here to go out. Gotta go. I’ll try to revisit this thread tomorrow. Lol.

3 Likes

Try not to rush back.

Have to agree with you, but the admins at OU & A&M are at fault as well. Dodds tried to bring them in on the LHN and make it a conference network, but they both refused thinking that it was a bad idea.

In the end, without collaboration, the Big 12 was doomed to fail from the beginning in this day of tv money and greed. The conference presidents could never agree enough to make visionary decisions and keep up with the times, even now.

adding Boston College and Wake Forest will not save the B12 even though they are P5. No brand name team will leave there current conference for B12. I wonder if Tech will be wind up in MW or AAC when the collapse comes…

Von E, i always enjoy your posts and the TT viewpoint…Big 12 almost certain to implode with OU and Texas leaving. I think Tech and Houston should work together and get 2 other acceptable teams for PAC 12, and work hard to make it happen. Maybe Okie state and Kansas state, something of that nature… Larry Scott wants into Texas market…Houston and TT can make it happen in 5 or 6 years when all this TV contract stuff comes up for renewal.

Not exactly, although he tried to bring in A&M.

Dodds told The Associated Press he first met with Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne about the idea of an Aggies-Longhorns network about four years ago but Byrne didn’t seem interested. At the time, the Longhorns weren’t sure they could carry a network on their own.

Byrne tried to re-open discussions about a year ago, but by then it was too late, Dodds said.

Texas had decided it had the national brand, stature and skill to forge ahead alone.

“I said we were too far down the road,” Dodds said. “We had figured out how to do it by ourselves.”

The Longhorns signed a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN in January to create the Longhorn Network that launched last week. Byrne has said the Longhorn Network created uncertainty in the Big 12 and cited it in his Wednesday blog as a big reason why the Aggies will leave the Big 12 by July, presumably to join the Southeastern Conference.

Dodds acknowledged that no one anticipated the size of the contract the Longhorn Network would get when he first approached Byrne with the idea.

Dodds said Texas has been unfairly cast as greedy for pursuing a network that has been blamed for shaking up the Big 12, which lost Nebraska and Colorado in July. A&M’s departure has heightened speculation that the entire league could crumble if the Big 12 can’t replace them with at least one attractive program.

_“It’s not about what we did,” Dodds said. “It’s about what they didn’t do – create their own network.”_

Texas’ pursuit of its own network was widely known in 2010 when Nebraska and Colorado decided to leave and the remaining 10 teams all committed to keeping the conference together.

“Nobody seemed concerned with it until it was done,” Dodds said. “I find it interesting that it’s a problem today … If somebody is surprised by this deal, they haven’t been paying attention.”

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne took a swipe at the Big 12 during a booster appearance in Lincoln, Neb., on Thursday. He said the Big 12’s revenue-sharing plan lends itself to instability.

“When there are inequities, eventually something is going to give somewhere,” Osborne said. “It doesn’t mean it will happen, but it makes it more difficult.”

Each Big Ten school received $22.6 million this year – about twice as much as Nebraska could have expected if it had stayed in the Big 12.

The stories of the Little12 wanting them, with no reciprocation? That would be true, yes.

Mitch Vingle: It’s a good time for WVU to be relevant again

The quiet, however, is surely temporary. As a geographic outlier, every time the Mountaineer football program takes a dip, every time Louisville or expansion candidates like Cincinnati, BYU, Houston, etc., have a better season, fingers will be pointed east. Criticism will be leveled.

So WVU athletic director Shane Lyons has quite a task on his hands: Keep his athletic program relevant. Constantly.