Big 12 rumor of expansion, again

And he’s an alum so I trust he has the best interests of UH first and foremost.

It is NOT a long shot! Their own marketing group PAC hired to look at the situation in future advised them to expand EAST into the central time zone…A majority of their presidents favor doing this, as well…WHEN the time comes…

6 Likes

Expansion is ALL about $$$ and the Houston market IS $$$. One of the P5 IS going to plant their flag here, just a matter of time. $$$ wise it doesn’t make much sense for B12 or SEC. That leaves 3…I’d prefer ACC but smart $$$ says PAC, as they NEED to expand and grow their footprint…I’m doubling down with Aldine

3 Likes

Baylor will come back down to earth in basketball and UH will take over as the best team in Texas. Football we will be good but as was shared earlier, the B12 wants Houston recruits and are scared that if UH gets in they will not get as many. So the plan is to not just keep UH out of B12 but keep them down so no other P5 picks them up, then the B12 will really be hurting. If OU leaves for B10, they are done anyway.

I think the Big 12 wants us to go 8-4 and still draw crowds. Can we?

I’d love to see PAC take UH and could remotely possibly see it happening, but the desire for PAC to expand east is primarily manifested in a desire to raid OU and UT (and possibly two others) from the Big 12. Those are the blue bloods that would bring the big $$$ to PAC. Everyone else including UH, and other Big 12 teams is on a lower rung of attractivity.

3 Likes

UT turned the pac down 2 times or at least 1 good time and they have better options so UT isn’t going there. They hate the time zone also. OU would go bc they have less options but they still have the sec if they wanted to I’m sure. The pac would then need UH, Tech for the Texas market along with 2 more.

Baylor and the Big 12 will be loaded in hoops next year. Texas has a really good coach so we shall see if their problem is coaching or culture

1 Like

The main criteria for the new PAC 12 Commissioner is “ Revenue enhancement skills”.

That is widely reported in media out West.

More Revenue = Texas.

1 Like

Yah I just dont see the Pac thing ever materializing. Probably the best we can hope for is a fusion between the top programs in the American and a depleted Big 12 in the event of a UT/OU exodus.

2 Likes

Where else could Texas go and make more money? They pretty well run the Big 12 so I doubt they are going anywhere…

3 Likes

They’ll bounce if OU were to bolt. Which to be clear, probably isn’t happening but its far more likely than the Pac extending us an invite.

1 Like

Well, moving to the big east looked pretty good too until the cream of the league bailed out. So if UH ever gets solicited by a current P5 conference, there should be some sort of disincentive for teams, especially the top ones, to bail out. I’m actually thinking very large dollars here.

Yeah because P5 take them all

For most conferences, the incentive for top teams not to bail is that there’s nowhere better to go. USC, for example, isn’t flying to Tuscaloosa or Ann Arbor every other week, and Penn State isn’t going to be doing the opposite.

That was very markedly not true of the Big East when we joined. They were very clearly the worst AQ conference in a region that already had 3 others.

1 Like

Only good program that left the American was Louisville.

1 Like

Why not before? Existing contracts didn’t stop the SEC from adding A&M and Mizzou or the Big 10 from adding Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland… or the Big 12 from adding TCU and WVU. All of those schools (except A&M and Mizzou who received full shares) were phased into their conference’s existing TV contracts.

Saying they can’t add teams because of the current PAC 12 members have a GoR seems like an attempt to make your reality more palatable.

But it’s presidents that make these decisions. And you have to have a super majority of the PAC 12 presidents to vote in a new member. We don’t have any leverage in this.

2 Likes

I spewed the coffee out of my mouth when I read breaking news from “AUSTIN COX,”

YES THEY ARE!!!

1 Like

You guys can’t help yourself. Surely CDH is thinking about what was said.

These coogfans fans are tough he thinks.
At least he does not have a mullet.

I mean all he’s really missing is the hair on top of his head.