Biggest AAC worry

we were the reason for that…

1 Like

when you are willing to pay the same amount of money as UT and he leaves anyway, thay is not the school, but the coach looking for green pastures.

2 Likes

You’re right. You’re not one of the posters who constantly blame UT or aTm or ESPN or the unknown cabal for our mediocrity since 1991

Coaches leaving voluntarily cannot be blamed on the university. However UH has had as many coaches fired as resign to go elsewhere.

Basically each fired coach is a self-inflicted injury and the blame lies with the university.

Time will tell if CDH is a home run hire. At least we know he isn’t looking to head to a P5 program. I visited some WVU boards when he was leaving and they weren’t shedding a lot of tears at his departure.

Schools aren’t always going to hire the right coach. It’s trial and error. Especially G5 schools who have to hire coordinators or unproven coaches as opposed to P5 schools who can hire someone with experience. Schools fire coaches all of the time. I don’t understand why you want to make it seem like the university is wrong for firing coaches that didn’t work out? Plus, UH is a different situation. It can’t afford to have a sustained amount of losing seasons with realignment the way it is. UH was left out years ago and wandered in the mediocrity that it has for so long due to it. It has to always position itself for the next round, whether that actually comes or not. So yes, if a coach doesn’t perform, they probably will get fired. It’s the way it goes. I like that our administration at least cares enough to make bold actions like that. I do have one question for you. Are you a UH fan?Did you graduate from here? If not, from where? (Serious question, Just wondering)

1 Like

The university is not wrong for firing coaches. You missed my point. It’s that for everyone who claims that we’d dominate in a P5, overlooks that we have hardly been dominant in the G5. So someone raised the issue that we lost all our good coaches. My point was that we made some bad hires as well.

not counting CDH because he has not coached a game yet, UH has had six coached since 2000. Only one had a loosing record (Dimel) and was fired. Two had winning records (Levine, Applewhite) and were fired. We had three coaches (Briles, Sumlin, & Herman) leave. All three that left did so before the bowl game and were negotiating their departures during the season.

2 Likes

My point was that amongst some bad ones, there were some really good ones that if we would have had the benefit of keeping them, maybe they would have been our Patterson or Peterson. But we will never know.

It’s not where they were finished, it’s when they were playing UH that is being discussed. Part of the reason why they didn’t finished as top 5 was because UH knocked them down from their top 5 perch!

1 Like

We could compete in the Big 12. In a couple of years we would be the 3rd best program behind Texas and Oklahoma. Every 5 years we would probably win a conference championship.

We would also give UT a game in Austin against a school they hate which they currently don’t have.

Seriously dude? You think UT fans give UH a second thought? We aren’t going be their rivals ahead of other Texas programs with whom they have a lot longer and recent history.

UH will give every Big 12 school 1 game in Houston every other year. That exposure in a massive TV and talent rich markwt could be worth its weight in gold.

P5, yeah we would be bigger than Tech, Baylor and TCU. Yes without a doubt.

check the record books.
before the last expansion of their stadium UH v UT held the attendance record. The don’t hate TT, Baylor, and TCU. They really really hate us.

1 Like

After not playing us in decades there are very few fans at UT who even know we used to play each other. Hate has turned to trivia.

1 Like

Oh yeah they hate us so much that they’ve refused to play us since 2002, despite having a 7 game winning streak.

We won the conference 3 of our first four years thumping UT 30-0 in our 1st year. Then the UT machine started its march to tear us down using their men in the NCAA (J Neils Thompson, President & Charles Allen Wright, Chairman of infractions committee – both on UT payroll) to hammer us and make sure we went down. Then the campaign of negative recruiting and press via their UT staff on the Chronicle. We still managed to go to the Cotton Bowl again in 1984.

We were down for a while, but then got back up under Pardee beating UT 60-40, 66-15, and 47-9 in 3 straight seasons. Then we went 10-1 under Jenkens before the downturn – and a search to find the worst coaches we could with Helton and Dimmel.

There was a stretch in the SWC when UT didn’t win the SWC and the team that did often got put on probation by the UT dominated NCAA.

3 Likes

They are afraid of a 1 game losing streak, they are afraid to let us on their big stage, they are afraid o what we can become again, they are afraid of our growing academic standing, they are afraid of our growing power in state government.

2 Likes

yes, I know they care. Their disdain for us speak for itself…

1 Like

UT fans don’t even know we exist. The “hate” you are sensing is really their lack of interest in UH. You have to actively participate mentally to hate. There is nobody home on the 40 acres when it comes to thinking about UH. We will always be a commuter school with an athletic program in their eyes.
Our wins over Texas happened so long ago that several generations aren’t even aware we played and as P5 and others have pointed out we really didn’t kick ass in CUSA or the AAC. We have been irrelevant on so many levels we are down to our last straw and the outlook is bleak.
We go have a decent smallish football stadium and a great basketball stadium. We are located in a great market that doesn’t care about UH sports.
I don’t think we make the cut but hope we do.

1 Like

Why isn’t UH winning AAC football championships?[/quote] and prior championships ? ? ? ? ?

Simple answer . . . . . Baylor Briles, A & M Sumlin, Texas Herman . . . . .

2 Likes