Birdsong for our younger fans

Here is a 1986 NBA highlight starring Otis Birdsong. You may recognize some other names in the game-- Robert Parish, Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Dennnis Johnson, Kevin McHale. If you don’t recognize the names, try looking them up. It is worth the time. In this game Birdsong scored 26 points, had 7 assists, and played great defense.

Otis Birdsong

4 Likes

Catch-turn-shoot. One of my top all time favorite players. So smooth.

2 Likes

So silk smooth and perhaps the best scoring guard we have ever had here…I still remember some of the classic games he had against a top five Arkansas bunch.
Bird could stop on a dime and deliver the goods…and besides that he was and is one of the nicest guys I ever met off the court.
I still remember Birdsong helping our Coogs recruit a kid named Moses Malone…didn’t work out but I still wonder how great we could have been with those two…

3 Likes

He still contributed to the Coogs’ by working with Olajuwon at Fonde all summer long.

1 Like

Ranks 112th in NBA history in FG%.

Nearly all of the 111 ahead of him are forwards and centers.

Exceptions: Maurice Cheeks, Magic Johnson, John Stockton, maybe a couple more I missed.

1 Like

First NBA guard to sign a contract for $1M per season

3 Likes

We can all be thankful Dream DID NOT follow Mo’s advise

Honestly Malone was a selfish individual who had his handout, but he played hard and was a good and formidable player for Dream to bang with as he was learning the game

Malone is one of the more underrated players in history. He is in the next group of all time great centers that include Wilt, Russell, Dream, Jabbar and Sabonis.

I consider Shaq, Duncan and Malone in the next group.

2 Likes

Malone once told Dream to “tell” coach Lewis to buy him a car lol. Needless to say Lewis had a fit and you could hear the screaming all over the athletic dept

3 Likes

I remember Otis Birdsong, he was one of the greatest guards in UH and NBA history. I was a student when he played and he was great otherwise he would’nt have been so good in the NBA!

Otis was the #2 pick in the 1st round of the 1977 NBA Draft.

1 Like

If I am correct, Moses didn’t play college ball. N’est pas?

And then Guy had to spend most of the preseason practices teaching him not to do those things Moses taught him because they weren’t allowed in the NCAA – and a lot not allowed in NBA except by the stars. And yes, the rules are different for big stars. For example; breathing when Jordan went by you resulted in a foul.

4 Likes

Mo was not college material and went to the NBA.
May have gotten someone put on probation

One of my favorite all-time Coogs! I can’t remember the opponent, but one game in Hofheinz I saw Otis score about twelve points in the first few minutes of the game and none of his shots had hit the rim. Nuthin’ but net!

Signed with Driesell at Maryland

Flagrant 1

I remember listening to a UH game radio broadcast in the 1970s where Art Casper was talking at halftime about UH recruiting Malone. We definitely tried to get him.

I talked to Guy in the Galleria the day before he left for Virginia to hopefully sign Moses.

1 Like

My overall point was that he made him a better player.

I will root for everyone to return and Sampson can make this work.

Every guy on this roster can help this team win games whether it is for 1,2,3 or 30 games.

I believe we also have a committment from a walkon expected to join us this summer.

That brings us up to 16 total players

1 Like