Birdsong for our younger fans

Butch, the way Guy told it was that he called and wanted to meet Guy for lunch and at lunch he told Guy that Akeem should get a Cadillac. Guy told him that since Moses had no ties with UH and was not a booster, if he wanted to buy Akeem a Cadillac, he thought there was no reason he couldn’t that he knew of. Moses then told him, he wanted UH to pay for it. Guy laughed and said it would never happen. Moses then left and stuck Guy with the check.

No he went to the ABA. His final 3 in college were Clemson, Maryland and our Coogs. He had a grandma who lived in Houston

Hadn’t ever heard that version but could be true. I got my info from an assistant coach. Regardless Moses was up to no good

I can tell you a funny story about that visit but I better hold off

1 Like

Moses started out of high school for the Virginia Squires. I didn’t Google it.

Loved Mo as a Rocket when I followed as a child. However, one thing that has always stuck with me is he was the only person to ever turn me down for an autograph at the St Thomas pro/am league.

He was actually drafted out of H.S. by Utah Stars.

1 Like

Boy I was wrong on that. Funny how you think you know things and it’s just flat out wrong. I would have bet 100 bucks on that.

…and then there’s Moses Malone Jr. Had a cup of coffee with the Coogs in '98 but wasn’t with the team long enough to actually play in a game. My best friend’s son played against him in high school ( Moses Jr played at Friendswood High). He said he was a real pr***.

And then there was the incident where he sued James Harden for (allegedly) hiring a group of guys to beat him up after he criticized Harden for charging too much for his basketball camp.

Birdsong is an all-time great Coog, and not just for what he did on the court.

3 Likes

I think Malone Jr accused our staff of purposely roughing him up in practice. Teja Monceau a walkon was a black belt and was part of the story.
He belonged at ut with his sense of entitlement.

1 Like

I got to talk to Birdsong for a couple of minutes at one of our games about five years or so ago.

Genuinely nice guy.

1 Like

Lawbert, he was such a nice guy at that game to myself, and other fans, that I also was coming here to mention it.

1 Like

Red 80. You know, Hakeem did get a Cadillac (Anderson) his senior year.

1 Like

Re: Another story about what a great person Otis was, in addition to being a great ball player. During school, I was a member of the Cougar Brass. The Brass would have their season ending banquet at Angelo’s, a great seafood restaurant on South Main. Following the end of his senior season, the Brass invited Otis to the banquet. He was as nice and personable as anyone could be. We tried all night to get Otis to eat a raw oyster. He loved all the food, except for the raw oysters. He never could get one down. The thought of something slimy sliding down his throat, was just too much. Everyone had a great time.

Anyone remember the Indiana State game with Larry Bird at Hofheinz?

4 Likes

Was there and remember Bird taking that final shot at the buzzer. Looked much better than the fluke BYU beat us with this year. But Bird’s somehow rimmed out to our delight and relief

I was there and was sweating Bird’s last shot. Good thing it was played at Hofheinz. A neutral court might have netted a different result.

I was there, too. Great game—thought I was going to have a heart attack while that shot was on the rim.

1 Like

At the age of 19, when he was a lean and lanky 6-10 manchild, Malone had no trouble making the jump from Petersburg (Va.) High School to the Utah Stars of the ABA. Playing forward until he filled out enough to take the pounding at center, Malone was an immediate success in the ABA, averaging over 18 points and 14 rebounds as a rookie.

“Malone began his professional career out of high school after he was selected in the third round of the 1974 ABA Draft by the Utah Stars. He was named an ABA All-Star as a rookie and played two seasons in the league until it merged with the NBA in 1976. He landed in the NBA with the Buffalo Braves, who traded him after two games to the Houston Rockets. Malone became a five-time All-Star in six seasons with the Rockets.”