Birdsong for our younger fans

Butch, Guy told that story to Willie Burns, Jim Gammage, Bud Hayden and myself after one of the games at a Cougar Cager club post game party. I think that Walter Blatel was there too, but not certain. Jim, Bud, and Willie kind of took me under their wings back then and I benefitted from the association by being privy to some of those conversations. They were older and I was mid thirties. Unfortunately, now I’m older and they are passed, I’ve seen a lot of friends pass away. Only Margie Hayden is left of the group. Oh yeah, I guess I’m left too.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Guy never told me that story but interesting. I did more talking to Donnie and Harvey

Donnie, Harvey, and Coach definitely had their own point of views of many a situation.

It was an NIT game, and I was there too. I left happy that the Coogs won, but also convinced that everything that I had heard about what a great player Larry Bird was absolutely true. - He excelled at every phase of the game.

1 Like

Me too - SeenItAllCougar - me too. Exciting ball game and good finish.

1 Like

Houston and Indiana State both went to their stars at the end of the game and the good guys won.

1 Like

Bird was was the leading scorer in the nation and Birdsong #2 IIRC.

I was there. I remember wondering who this goofy-looking guy Larry Bird was. IIRC he scored 40 points against us and we barely won the game.

1 Like