BOOM! - Michael Thomas c/o 2021 Commits!

How in the world does an opposing coach gameplan for our guard lineup? The weapons the Sampsons are reloading with have got to make AAC (and beyond) coaches wake up with nightsweats.

2 Likes

True on Thomas thatā€™s why I want him to play this season so he can put up big numbers in Kilgore.

1 Like

we definitely have some nba players on rosterā€¦you dont have to be finished product and all-legend to be an nba player
ā€¦dejon is a respectable shot a way from being nba caliberā€¦ ā€œconsistent grimesā€ is already nba ready, the issue is that he doesnt bring it every game ā€¦ mills game is flawed but he will make it to the nba at the very least on hype (he will be nationally hyped player by his junior year)-- his game has many flaws but so does trae youngā€¦
3pt shooting will define markā€“1 and dont to 4 year player on the table based around his shot-- (note HS percentages not great)

then theres sasserā€“with is measurable is likely a 4 year player, lower chances of nbaā€¦but he has a better chance that some of you are giving him ā€¦ive noted this before that he had almost identical measurements and stats as carsen edwards asa freshman, carsen edwards is in the nbaā€¦sasser might not reach that, but there is a pathway

@TJCoog he can dunk, was in multiple dunk contests in high schoolā€¦here is a workout video he put out yesterday with him dunking
https://twitter.com/m_sasser0/status/1284967111232827393ā€¦

also you noted his uncles, sasser as a freshman is more skilled than any of his relatives ever wereā€¦they had height but he has skillā€¦
and something random that i think about is sasser was only a freshman, and the shortest adult in his familyā€¦his uncles and dad are way taller, would be solid if the basketball gods threw him 2 or 3 inches since he is still growing lol but that beyond anyone control

3 Likes

I see Sasser as a slightly shorter Eric Gordon type player. Handles the ball well enough, but way more lethal as a spot up shooter. Very strong for his height and will be able to hold his own against taller guards. Agree with @pesik that another inch or two would be really helpful.

I like Grimes as a possible NBA prospectā€¦he has shown signs that he can dominate games and he has also shown signs he can run off and hide.
But I really look for him to shine this year, to take more of a leadership role and to be more aggressive on both ends of the court.
While I think Deeky is a key to this upcoming UH bunch, I really donā€™t see him as an NBA draft pickā€¦if he does attain that stature it will be because he has a good season driving and dishing and playing really good defense.
IMO Mills and Sasser could both possibly be four year players here, but there is always that temptation to try the spotlight early.
Not going to speculate on the newcomers, but Mark has all the tools. He needs to develop his three point shot but I agree with a previous poster, he has a bigger upside than Hintonā€¦

1 Like

Mills - yes he had a freshman game but another year in our program and he may explode. He has special kills just needs to cultivate them. He improved dramatically on defense and rebounding throughout the season. I see him I think Crawford and Williams at the next level.

Sasser - Donā€™t sell him short. He is a better creator and distributor than given credit for his first season. Probably a 3-4 year player to develop but he has a shot.

Mark has the tools to be a 2 and done but then again if he averages double figures for a NC team maybe 1 and done.

Jarreau needs to have a great season. He has the ability to be a 15 - 6 - 6. He does that and he will be the ideal G league player to be given big minutes for development

2 Likes

Iā€™m not surprised he can dunk and knew you would have the answer! I wouldnā€™t have been shocked if he couldnā€™t though just based on the way he plays. If he was in dunk contests in high school doing 180s, eastbays, wind mills, etc. that is kind of surprising to me, though. Itā€™s definitely possible that he was on a short leash as to what CKS let him do. But numerous times heā€™d pump fake and get by someone with a dribble or two and then get stuck and the guy guarding him would recover on him pretty quickly. I donā€™t remember him blowing by guys in the open court. Comparing him to Galen as a freshman for example I didnā€™t see the same level of burst, quickness, playmaking, etc. Though Sasser is obviously light years better as a shooter.

I only brought up his uncles to say that using that is kind of silly anyways, especially comparing someone 6ā€™6/6ā€™7 who made it to the league vs. someone 6 ft tall. Agree it would be a gift from the basketball gods if he grows a couple of inches.

No oneā€™s game has to be finished but I think there is a general understating on this board of just how hard getting to the league is. I donā€™t know what the average of players in a class who make it ends up being is exactly, but itā€™s probably around 50. Grimes is the only top 50 recruit we have. Of course who makes it isnā€™t going to fall exactly in line with rankings but it does show a lot of these guys are going to have an uphill climb.

I get that the comp for Trae Young isnā€™t supposed to be 1 for 1, but man. As a freshman Trae was 27.4 ppg, 8.7 apg, 58.5% TS with a 28.3 PER. Those numbers are just beastly and much, much better than Calebā€™s.

Also, on the Lou Will comp for Caleb, for what itā€™s worth he was a 5 star top 10 recruit.

For what itā€™s worth I do think he makes it to the NBA in some form or fashion but itā€™s not going to be easy.

lol saser wasnt doing windmills/360s in the video i watched, he was just catching fancy alley oppsā€¦most of the razzle-dazzle was in the pass --also i think the way we use our players somewhat hides their athleticismā€¦dejon and grimes have elite athlecism, outside of the occasional block its hard to tell for either based on houston filmā€¦dejon might have had 4 total dunks last season.when he was a dunkng machine at umass

sasser isnt as fast as galen, but sasser is better creator of the dribbleā€¦damian lillard and vanfleet (smaller guys) neither are burners and both are scorers in the league

theres an attempt to pigeon hole him into this ā€œspotā€ shooterā€¦when sasser as freshman showed way more off the dribble the corey as a junior ā€¦in the @smu, both cincy games, and @memphis (3 of the 4 were elite defensively) we just kept passing sasser the ball and he just kept scoring back to back to back (they knew where the ball was going).and he did it off the dribbleā€¦that has never happened at all with galen,or with junior corey, ā€¦and he will obviously get better

also i think you might be overestimating how hard it is to make the league if youre team is elite and you have the measureablesā€¦sasser is the only one without the measurables ā€¦
also trae young put up insane stats but his team was bad and he go to take every shot, mills played on a deeper team, most nba scout can discern the effects of depth

1 Like

I agree to an extent that we donā€™t have a system that highlights athleticism, but I for sure would say that itā€™s been very apparent here that Deeky is very explosive athletically. Same with Nate, Gresham and some others. I think Grimes is athletic but it doesnā€™t seem elite to me. If he is elite athletically then it may be hidden in our system.

Being in a successful program probably helps to bridge the gap on recruiting rankings but it just depends to an extent. Gregg Marshall has put 5 guys total in his tenure in the league. Only 3 guys recruited during the really good 8 year VCU run who were recruited by Shaka and Will Wade made it there.

And OU was worse in Traeā€™s year than we were last year but still made the tourney. Also, if Trae was putting up empty stats on a bad team because someone had to get them his efficiency should have been worse than Calebā€™s instead of much better. Trae was really, really good that year even though he hit a little bit of a wall during Big 12 play (he was consensus first team All American as a freshman!).

i watched a ton of Oklahoma games because of the trae young hypeā€¦they were a flat horrible team by the end of the year (won 2 of their last 12 games), and it was mostly becuase of how they used trae young, it was conspiracy mania everywhere that they didnt derserve the bid, but simply protecting the media darlingā€¦ putting up big stats and being actually good are different thingsā€¦oklahoma set it up to be the trae young show, everyoneā€™s job was just to setup trae young shotsā€¦a million screens, every set play meant for him, etcā€¦ mills was creating his own shots ā€¦its is guaranteed youngs numbers wouldnt have been like that on a good teamā€¦let me be clear trae young in college was better than mills was last year, but nowhere close to what the stats indicated

also nate has poor athleticismā€¦nate is 6ā€™5 and barely gets off the ground on his dunks/jumpsā€¦nate will be the 1st to tell you he isnt that athletic (said so in a few interviews)ā€¦between saying hinton now and before with chaney, ive come to realize you mix up ā€œhustleā€ and ā€œathleticismā€ a lot

grimes is on a whole nother level of athleticism compared to hintonā€¦its not close
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/992189486724468736

marshall only has 5 players, one was a walk-on, another other is 5ā€™10ā€¦marshall was recruiting MVC player beforeā€¦do you have high major examplesā€¦we arent in a mid-major like all 3 of your examplesā€¦last year was the first year this wasnt true, but before that the 1st 6 years of the aac, every starting 6ā€™4 or taller guard on any AAC tourney team left for the nba before their senior year (jacob evans, shake milton, landry shamet, semi ojeyeleā€¦etcā€¦)

Nate has burst. Heā€™s definitely not the athlete someone like Deeky is but he still plays athletically. You were saying Alley is really athletic and I do remember he had a bunch of dunks in his high school reel I think. Maybe Alley actually has a higher vert than Nate if they are both measuring in a drill but Nate plays with much more burst and quicker jumps. He jumps quick, flys down the floor on the break, etc. I didnā€™t say he was Ja Morant or anything but heā€™s athletic, or maybe has some physical abilities that donā€™t show up in standard measurables like vertical leap.

I probably overstated Chaneyā€™s athleticism just based on his reel. However, a 6ā€™7" dude covering the ground he did to make one of those blocks is an athletic play and you have to be a reasonably good athlete to make a couple of the dunks in traffic he did.

That dunk by Grimes is ridiculously athletic though so Iā€™m for sure with you there now.

Nate doesnā€™t have the great leaping ability but he is a runner and also has very good lateral quickness. His instincts and energy level are very high.
I think Chaney can give us some of what we lose with Hinton from the 4 spot.

Alley btw is a very good athlete. Raw in terms of skills and like CKS said can do a lot just nothing real good. For other teams he would have been our glue guy getting rebounds, playing great defense and throwing down some dunks. For last yearā€™s team we had his skills already on the floor in the form of more complete players.
The measure of a good basketball players lie much more in their skills set rather than athleticism. When you have both then you have some really good.

1 Like

If Grimes would show that kind of aggression in real games, heā€™d be unstoppable.

3 Likes

Sasser reminds me of Damon Jones and he had a great NBA career

1 Like

Really Mike?
I wasnā€™t very cryptic if you paid attention to a couple posts above mine.

Sure I was rude for responding to your claim that I must have it all figured out. Your response illustrates that you knew exactly what I was referring to and like his response you seem to be begging for an argument. If I ruffled your feathers in a previous post please send me a private message

Canā€™t we just get along?

1 Like

I donā€™t see Sasser in Jones.
Damon had an NBA height with tremendous athletic ability. He was as a good of a HS shooter I have seen, but never thought he fully realized his potential at the college level.
He was soft and didnā€™t play a lick of defense.

Sasser is tougher and more physical. He plays with the ball a lot better than Jones but DJ was good off the ball, Defense is no contest.If Sasser turns into that type of sniper from long range we are going to be tough to beat.

I always thought Hinton had heavy feet but had good enough athleticism. Heā€™ll go undrafted but hopefully gets with a team. Not having a Summer League sucks for him.

thereā€™s a rumor that 1 GM really likes him (from cbssports) which played a part in him coming outā€¦hopefully itā€™s true and not just a rumor, and he getā€™s taken late 2nd or gets atleast a guaranteed contract

3 Likes

The Charlotte GM really likes him