Boom - Robbie Armbrester

Getting back to the purpose of this thread. Glad Robbie has committed to the UH. It’s so refreshing to see the program in the mix for talented incoming freshmen and transfers.

2 Likes

I dont think that is exactly right - “the” PSJ lineup - as I remember it - was Olajuwon ©, Micheaux (PF) Drexler (Wing/small forward) Young (Shooting guard) and Alvin Franklin (PG). Obviously there were many permutations and some of this is more semantics than substance. IMHO - I don’t much are about height or position designation - Coach Sampson, errrrr - knows what he is doing and I am glad to have Armbrested aboard.

Is “Olajuwon” copyrighted? :smiley:

Kid still has a SR season to play and unless he is really special may have a season to sit while he is here.

Don’t see anyone sitting these days. They either play or they move on.

And I distinctly recall Guy V. Lewis saying that Michael and Clyde were the first two “forwards” that he ever had that started as freshmen. Today, however, with the 3 point line there’s an unclear line between being a shooting guard vs being a shooting forward.

That why culture is so important and a coach they believe in and respect.
Watching Armbrester looks like he has guard skills but if he is physical enough to play some 4 that opens a lot of doors.
Everyone can’t play, and as long as they believe their time will come in year 2, I expect them to be fine.
Shead may sit a lot this season but he will move into a bigger role the following season.
Walker will have to come in and really earn his time and possibly pay his dues for a season.
That is as all price to pay for being in a great program with a great culture.

1 Like

Charles Barkley was 6-6. He did pretty good against taller guys.

Listed 6’6 but closer to 6’4

1 Like

See rwcoog’s post. His actual height was less than his “billed” height.

Here’s a quote from his Wikipedia entry:

During his college career, Barkley played the center position, despite being shorter than the average center. His height, officially listed as 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m), is stated as 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)in his book, I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It .

For y’all Jonas Aidoo’s fan boys, here’s a new video of him “dominating” (He 's number #8)

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamieshaw5/status/1319429108749709313

That cameraman needs to learn how to zoom out. Geez!

the moment tennesse and kansas entered the aidoo sweepstakes, the likelyhood of landing him spiked really low…
ive kinda put him in the unlikely pile, but espn just upgraded him to a top 100 4star

Just wait until North Carolina gets in the fold :sunglasses:

Once we got Francis commitment, I kept saying we were done as far as big man goes in 2021.

With Chaney & White most likely returning next year, Aidoo was a dead issue.

but we were still recruiting him after francis committed… we would take aidoo if he wanted to commit today, which is why we not not be “done with bigs”…the staff could just pivot on the big they target (maybe a transfer) if they had already decide that last ship was going to be a big

Aidoo is definitely a long shot now. Probably makes sense to see how the transfer market unfolds in the offseason at this point.

We have

Francis
Powell
White
Chaney

As centers next year… Plus if any of our seniors wanted to come back they’re allowed for next year. I don’t know how a transfer big man could fit into the equation today.

It may not matter but it would be nice to have a big thats 6’10 to bang with the other bigs in the conference. Memphis has Cisse this year and Ayomide coming next year.

2 Likes

I’m just saying… it sure wouldn’t hurt lol.

1 Like

I mean what’s the point of getting a 6’10 transfer if he can’t sniff the court like Izundu back in the day or Meyer who won’t be able to guard those guys lol. Just for the sake of having a 6-10 guy ?! Lol.

I mean Chris Harris was a backup who didn’t play a bunch of minutes; but on offense defenses wouldn’t even guard him. It felt like we were playing four on five on the offense of side. You know damn well coach Sampson is going to bring talent over size at this point. And it has worked perfectly fine with him.

Powell is pretty much 6-10 who is physically going to get stronger and is a true center :muscle:

We’ll be okay. Now let’s go win some games. Go Coogs!!!

1 Like