Boom - Robbie Armbrester

Wouldn’t you think he would be a bigger mismatch at the 4 because he can shoot the 3 and move like a guard, but still hold his own against 4’s be more beneficial for UH.

1 Like

i think both him and ramon are going to be developed as wings, like hinton, over here… but like hinton i expect both to be regularly put at the 4 …
jarreau or grimes who are points will be lined up at 4 alot next year

1 Like

The versatility of the current team and even more so with next year’s team is going to cause matchup nightmares for so many teams we play. What a time to be alive as a Coog fan!

2 Likes

Good post @2002Coog! I think we will cause so much more match up issues for other teams than what we will encounter ourselves.

I think @pesik mentioned that low post matchup concerns come into play big-time at the Final Four or championship game level…which, if that’s truly the case, a great problem to have! Sign me up for that scenario! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No UH2020 - Clyde Drexler & Michael Young (and 6’ 5" Benny Anders) never played guard while at UH, they all played forward.

The guards on those PSJ teams included guys such as Rob Williams & Lynden Rose & Eric Dickens & Reid Gettys & Alvin Franklin & Derek Giles & Renaldo Thomas…

2 Likes

Starters

Olajuwon
Micheaux
Drexler
Young
Franklin/Gettys

That was way back when the typical lineup was 1 guard, 2 wings and 2 posts. Modern day teams play a typical lineup of 2 guards, 1 wing, 1 PF and 1 C, but often the wing is more like a SG than a wing.

Jarreau plays forward at UH as well but he’s really a pg. That’s his natural position. Clyde and Michael weren’t really forwards, but it sounds like Guy V played 4 guards and Olajuwon. This year’s team may play a lot like that.

A did you know: He currently works for Rockets as a Advanced Scout.

Drexler was more a guard than Young. Young was the best outside shooter after Rob left

Can you pls give me ex of when you seen Jarreau play Forward. He never ever sets up in the post on offense n I’ve never seen him be asked to guard anyone down low. As far as rebounding CKS demands all his guards go to glass for rebounding. But as far as Jarreau playing in any Forward role, I haven’t seen it. :thinking:.

I did not know that. I miss watching the Chuck Wagon play. Dude was all heart.

1 Like

When he’s on the wing playing with another point guard. Particular when Galen & Corey where on the team. He used to play up on the wing position/Sf

Not for the 1981-82 team. The starters in '81-'82 were

Micheaux - F
Young - F
Drexler - F
Williams - G
Rose - G

Olajuwon & Anders came in off the bench

3 Likes

So we are talking about early in their careers?

I sure hope that CKS is an avid reader of coogfans so that he will have some idea about who, how and where to play the returning players as well as the new comers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

2 Likes

That kid handles the ball well for that size. His ballhandling (IMHO) is probably already more polished than Jarreau’s was his soph year.

Olajuwon definitely came off the bench in 1981-82 and
really blossomed in 1982-83 as the season progressed.
1981-82 was Rob Williams’ team. Rob was first team All-SWC, All-SWC tournament team and Midwest Regional most outstanding player.
Granted Rob disappeared at the Final Four, but Rob’s contributions to UH basketball can’t be overlooked.
He re-energized the program following a lull after Otis Birdsong left.
The youngsters may not remember Rob, but he jump-started Phi Slama Jama. And for those who go crazy on player rankings, if they had rankings 40 years ago Rob would have been a 5 star.

3 Likes

Also, if there had been a 3 point line, his and Young’s scoring average would have been much higher.

1 Like

Come on Mannnn! That doesn’t make him a Forward. He’s a Guard through n through. Ask CKS what position Jarreau plays and if he considers him ever of being a Forward/SF. Not happening. #Wrong

1 Like