Briles to interview at Tennessee

It is my understanding that the UH Admin and Briles reached an agreement on contractual terms, HOWEVER, the contract needed to be approved by the BOR. Thus, the contract has NOT YET been signed. Agreement in principle only. I want Briles to stay…but it’s not nearly as egregious as some make it out to be. Also, since there’s not a fully executed contract, if he left…there would be no buyout money tied to new deal. Only whatever buyout was under his previous (current) contract.

Go Coogs!

3 Likes

I would guess if Briles gets hired by a blue blood like the real UT or FSU they’ll pay the buyout of the new terms. It’s chump change to those programs (not to us) and we have an agreement in principle. They know those things and will accommodate.

Yesterday Vol radio said they’d pay the buyout of the new terms.

Just read on Twitter Freeze is taking the Liberty HC job. This increases the chances of CKB coming to knoxville. I don’t think it makes much sense football wise. The Briles offense may not work in the SEC. Briles does not want to be told to slow down.

Tennessee has only had good years with the Manning era. It’s pretty much a mediocre if not lackluster program for such a large fan base. If he goes there, he’s not staying put. You’d think that those people would see that with what he’s doing after committing to a new contract here. smfh

Good points. Briles is at a point of no return now. In case he decides to stay how in the world would he be trusted when he recruits? Something evidently happened that we are not aware of. Any which way you put it. This is highly concerning. Was there a “rift” between CMA & Briles? Only the two parties know. You would think Briles wanted to be here. You would have thought also that his future looked bright. He could have certainly made a huge impact in 2019 & parlay it with a HC G5 offer in late 2019.

1 Like

Official for Freeze

1 Like

Maybe his interview with Texas State opened his eyes to what was available for him as an OC at a P5 school and the business side of things kicked in. He has cleaned up his image with FAU and Uh stints. He has proven he does not need his dad by his side. So now if he sticks around here he will ‘only’ wind up with interviews at The Texas States of the world for the head coach job. But if he were to do it an SEC school or a big program like Florida State, now the P5 opportunities open up for him. If Baylor was not wholesale raping people he would probably have a P5 head coaching job.

Remember, there are only 2 types of people in coaching, those that you have fired and those that have not been fired yet. Let’s say he sticks it out here and we go 8-4 next year with a super stat offense and another craptastic defensive job (what are we expecting?). Then Applewhite is fired and say he gets the UH interview but we hire someone else. Then what? He interviews at the Texas States of the world? Becomes an OC at a P5? Why not just jump ahead and see what can happen? If he is the head coach here and has success he will be gone in 2-3 years anyways.

Schools like the Vols don’t care about that stuff just like they don’t care that CKB has been job hopping. They will hire and fire people recklessly until they win 7 games. Then if they are lucky enough to win 7 games for a few years they will become unsatisfied with that and hire and fire recklessly until they win 9 games and so on.

SEC schools like Tenn believe it is their birthright to poach from 80% of FBS schools whenever they want. They want to win now.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why you think CMA is toast if KB sticks around. I may be wrong, but I think CMA will be our coach for a few more years and will do us proud in the long run as our coach. Will he then leave, maybe; but I think that’s a few years down the road.

3 Likes

Is it safe to assume if Briles does bolt to TU or FSU that we lose Clemens as well?

I’m starting to agree with you Jacketgate and this CKB mess has made me more of a CMA fan. Why be mad that our coach is a horn when our own treats us like dog mess?

7 Likes

Just the opposite. Both Tennessee and Florida State have OL coaches on staff, each making well over $500K.

Unless one of those schools wants to eat another contract, there’s no room at the inn for Clements.

I don’t know who it is but the Vols OL coach is highly regarded they won’t let him go. Even if CKB takes this job it will be a short stay one way or the other.

Have to laugh loudly! Go back and look at the meltdown about CKB after the SMU loss. Have yet to read a single post from anyone who actually “knows” what the facts/circumstances are, other than he interviewed. Too many unknowns, but how many were touting him as our program’s saviour? “An exciting offense.” “Knows QB talent.” “Only offense that attracts our fans.” Etc., etc.
Welcome to Meltdown U. Welcome to the Coaching Carousel Conference - as if it was something new.

3 Likes

Worse Alumni ever. By the way, we the true Alumni, can careless about both of them or any other alumnus like them…traitors

2 Likes

My question why agree to an extension Kendall if you want to get away from UH so badly? I mean, you didn’t even wait a month before job shopping. If he decides to stay at UH it will look bad. Both Kendall and Art are unprofessional, greedy, and selfish. At least show a little respect to the University you graduated from. By doing this Kendall is leaving the football program vulnerable and especially in recruiting. This hurts the stability image of the program.

2 Likes

Leverage

Not that this means anything but at the basketball game vs Lamar I saw CKB with his entire family sitting behind me and I introduced myself to him and said I was glad he was staying and his reply was yes sir. His kids where doing the arm wave to womp womp so I got the impression his family was happy here. However $$ can make you love somewhere else also.

2 Likes

I don’t know why you’d say he “wants to get away so badly”. Tennessee might double his salary. It’s not like he’s interviewing at places that would require him to take a pay cut. It would also get him one step closer to a good HC job. Quite frankly, if we got rid of Major after next year I’d probably feel better about Briles for the HC job here if he lights it up for a year at Tennessee.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1071070530076200960?s=21

1 Like

Yes, but literally no fan base or administration has patience anymore. They both flopped and are in hot water early on.

1 Like