BYU front Line

So Navy was ranked 7 and we were 6. American Athletic Conference Football 2020 Predictions - AthlonSports.com | Expert Predictions, Picks, and Previews
BYU had a good scrimmage against Navy. The defensive front of BYU looked like the boarder wall to the Navy front line.
Do we have the power to keep them away from our QB and open up running lanes for our backs?

1 Like

Navy played like they had a screen door on a submarine.

11 Likes

Hahaha

1 Like

Navy played like they forgot how to swim in the middle of the ocean

3 Likes

We ought to be very worried about BYU at this point.

1 Like

Navy isn’t as bad as they looked and BYU is not as great, but BYU will be a formidable opponent and maybe a quality win on our schedule

1 Like

Yes, we ought to be worried about BYU, but I think that was also the case before they beat Navy.

Navy depends upon ball control to win. And that means running their option plays to get first downs and eat up the clock. But, Navy has essentially no passing attack. Despite being behind (and then way behind) against BYU Navy only threw 8 passes and completed 4 of them for a total of 30 yards for the whole game. - I think UH will present a bit of a different challenge to BYU than that.

1 Like

Both looked beatable to me. The byu qb chucked a few up for grabs.

2 Likes

The BYU offensive line is legit. But Navy, unfortunately, wasn’t a real test of just how legit they are.

As a BYU fan I don’t take too much from the game (other than bragging rights against a couple of good friends who served). I still think we are underdogs against you guys, but perhaps not a much as I thought before the game.

Our schedule, frankly, is so weak until we play you that I’m not sure it will be possible to accurately assess the Cougars until after that game.

I’m sure it will be a great game however. I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I was impressed by BYU Oline

3 Likes

agreed, stopping the byu running game will be the challenge.

1 Like

Navy, like UH under Yeoman, is triple option, and these teams are traditional slow starters. It often takes a few games to get the rhythm down.

we better worry about memphis first, lol!!!

5 Likes

Before people get to shaking in their boots about the BYU offensive line, maybe you should look at their sizes:

#…Name… Ht… Wt… Position Class
56…Clark Barrington… 6-6… 302… Offensive Line SO
65…Chandler Bird… 6-1…285… Offensive Line FR
67…Brady Christensen. 6-6…300…Offensive Line JR
66…James Empey…6-4…303…Offensive Line JR
71…Blake Freeland…6-8…300…Offensive Line SO
77…Chandon Herring…6-7…310…Offensive Line SR
69…Tristen Hoge…6-5…310…Offensive Line SR
64…Brayden Keim…6-8…280…Offensive Line FR
76…Harris LaChance…6-8…310…Offensive Line SO
74…Kieffer Longson…6-7…315…Offensive Line SR
70…Connor Pay…6-5…300…Offensive Line FR
61…Keanu Saleapaga…6-6…310…Offensive Line JR
63…Joe Tukuafu…6-4…301…Offensive Line JR
62…Elijah Unutoa…6-5…290…Offensive Line FR
68…Mo Unutoa…6-5…290…Offensive Line JR
72…Seth Willis…6-5…290…Offensive Line FR

They have some really tall guys, but they aren’t that heavy. A shorter guy can get leverage on a taller guy. So like it says in the Jimmy Reed song “Big Boss Man”, “Well, you ain’t so big, you’re just tall, that’s all.”

1 Like

I think I am falling into the camp of Navy is really not good. If Navy was halfway decent then you have to conclude BYU is a top 5 team. You don’t pop out of nowhere and become a top 5 team, Soooo…Navy sucks. You can’t get great quickly but you can get really bad quickly. We have done it a number of times.

Our Oline compares, we have a guy art 290, the rest are 300+.

BTW, we want them to be thought of as good when we beat them!

2 Likes

The BYU o-line and their running backs looked REALLY GOOD. Overall, BYU was bigger, stronger and faster. Navy had not done any contact work leading up to this game. But I do not think it would have mattered. BYU is legit.

1 Like

There line is plenty big to be real good or not good. Ther first game was a smashing success.

However you need to keep in mind Navy usually does not play very good defense and they had not been practicing with any contact.
Their coach set them up to for what happened yesterday.

1 Like

A 6’5’ 300 pound guy will beat a 6’ 300 pound guy all day long. You cannot coach height. Height is always an advantage.

1 Like

You can’t teach big. Period. 6’5" and 300lb+ across the line is an inpenatrable wall if coached right.

1 Like