BYU front Line

Big Ed Oliver would beg to differ with you! And so would former Houston Oilers Curly Culp and Elvin Bethea, not to mention many former Coogs including the 1988-1990 era UH team’s guys like Glenn Montgomery & Keith Jenkins & Craig Veasey & Allen Aldridge…

5 Likes

You guys rare funny

These guys aren’t robots

I don’t think so. You can be taller than a guy the same weight; but if he has his shoulder to your chest, he will move you.

Just a reminder, our OL isn’t puny:

64 Bardwell, Dennis OL 6-7 305 Sr
77 Murphy, Keenan OL 6-3 298 Sr
65 Pancotti, Gio OL 6-6 310 Sr
70 Boatman, Jordan OL 6-6 325 JR
Unije, Reuben OL 6-5 303 JR
Bowman, Derick OL 6-5 250 FR
63 Faminu, James OL 6-6 350 FR
Nnanna, Ugonna OL 6-4 265 FR
67 Johnson, Cam’Ron OL 6-4 291 R-Fr
76 Paul, Patrick OL 6-7 330 R-Fr
79 Todd, Chayse OL 6-2 270 R-Fr
71 Banes, Max OL 6-5 301 R-So
75 Freeman, Jack OL 6-3 278 R-So
73 Lewis, Kameron OL 6-4 268 R-So
52 Jones, Braylon OL 6-4 315 R-Sr
1 Like

This
Our OL Is as big from top to bottom on the roster as I have seen. I am still concerned with RT

1 Like

Bowman and Nnanna need to hit buffet line.

BYU’s line will be very disciplined. They play a detailed, very precision-oriented scheme, much like a standard option unit.

BYU plays to win.

Plus they are 23 to 25 years old.

3 Likes

They are true freshmen. Wait until they have gone through a couple of years at training table and in the weight room; I expect both to be over 300 pounds by the time they are called on for significant PT. Their frames are large enough to hang a lot more beef on.

WHEN OUR SON PLAYED FOR WILLIS RONNIE PEACOCK
WAS THE HC.RONNIE CALLED ME AT SPING T AND SAID
I NEEDED TO TALK RICHARD INTO MOVING TO NG FROM
LB WHICH HE HAD PLAYED FOR 6 YEARS. HE WAS 5FT
8 !/2 AND WEIGHTED 180 LBS. VERY STRONG IN THE HIPS AND BACK AND ARMS.( RONNIE SAID HE HAD NO
ONE ELSE TO PLAY NG BUT HAD 2 LBS.THE 2ND GAME
WAS NAVASOTO AND THEIR CENTER WAS 6’ 1 1/2 AND
WAS 210 LBS. WAS ALL DIST THE YEAR BEFORE. SOME
ONE SAID HEIGHT WOULD WIN. A STRONG SHORT NG
CAN FIRE OUT LOW, GET UNDER BLOCKERS SHOULDER
PADS AND BLOCKER IS HEPLESS AS PADS SLIP UP TO
LOWER NECK AND YOU GIDE HIM ONE WAY OR THE
OTHER. THE CENTER WOULD FIRE OUT LOW. RICHARD
RIDES HIM DOWN AND GOES FOR TACKLE.HE MADE A
LOT OF TACKLES, MANY IN THE BACKFIELD.WILLIS WON
THE GAME. RICHARD WAS MONTGOMERY COUNTY DEF
PLAYER OF THE WEEK 5 SCHOOLS IN MONTGOMERY
COUNTY. SO POINT BEING A SHORTER STRONG DP CAN
CAN WIN THE BATTLE BECAUSE OF LEVERAGE.

3 Likes

I respectfully disagree here. You can’t coach height but this isn’t a street fight or the hardwood. Playing on the line is about leverage, technique, and motor. There are multiple times when guys are just big and strong, but slow and clumsy(see reason for CJC’s scheme). In fact, some of the best edge rushers in the NFL give up 4 or more inches to their counterparts. In fact, some of the most inconsistent pass blockers are 6-5 and above. Usually the more height the more room for error because it’s more body moving around.

Coaches have to look for guys who can execute a secondary move because every defensive linemen or edge rusher will eventually get blocked. How quickly a rusher resets and makes a secondary move determines if he can overwhelm a guy or put him in the spin cycle. That’s what separates a good player from a great player. Technique.

3 Likes

WHY DO YOU RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE, I THINK WE
ARE SAYING ABOUT THE SAME THING. SHOULDER PADS
WILL SLIDE UP( AT LEAST THE ONES WE USED) IF YOU
GET YOUR HANDS ON THE BOTTOM AND PUSH UP. THEY
SLIDE UP AND CUT OFF YOUR BRETHEN . AT LEAST IT
USE TO. RICHARD PLAYED 25 YEARS AGO AND I PLAYED
65 YEARS AGO.

1 Like

This is going back a good ways but does anyone remember Cotton Guerrant (I believe that is the way his last name is spelled)? Short thick defensive player from the 60’s. He had a good motor.

We do agree grayfox. I was replying to @ZX337’s post about size.

I think this season we’ll see some lopsided scores since schools are handling COVID differently. NAVY did not have any contact practices or scrimmages, which clearly showed in a live game against a formidable opponent.

As for UH, my concern is that we already have a thin d-line, and our best JC transfer is sitting out this season. We have a true freshman that apparently was tabbed as a starter so what does that say about the rest of the d-line? Is he really me that good or does tue d-line lack talent? We’ll see.

He really is that good. I’d take more HS wrestlers on the team. My grandson, a Jr at SJHS starting a q-back this year wrestled last year and I believe won all but one match. He believes even at a skill position wrestling is great preparation for football.

I agree. My son is an edge rusher who weighs 245, but is almost always double teamed even when he is out weight by 40+ lbs and can get around them. Anenih weighs the same and can get out of a situation easily and rush the QB with speed. Power can come in smaller packages.

3 Likes

I like undersized players with a lot of heart, maybe because i relate.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve enjoyed watching Derek play. He definitely is one of our guys who is held at an alarming rate. Lots of NFL guys have made a habit of turning speed to power. Once the smaller guy is on you, he’s on you! Those hands,arms, and feet better work together like a tightrope walker!

1 Like

Just asking but aren’t the Byu players generally older because they go on missions which helps maturity. It factors in on the playing field if true.