California Governor Signs NIL Bill

I’m fine with this. I actually think this would help UH get more players. Playing in Houston opens up opportunities for promotion more than playing in Waco or Lubbock.

5 Likes

That is exactly what I was thinking. :wink:

Also if our athletes are on billboards and in commercials, hopefully they will be allowed to wear the UH logo. That’s free advertisement for the university and could help in recruiting locals.

2 Likes

Of course there is resentment. You have two humans beings there is going to be resentment about something.

How many people who watch football know the name of the guy playing Center except for Mom and Dad but everyone knows the name of the QB.

That is life. I am not of that Religon at all but I am a fan of Pastor Joel at Lakewood. He would have some good words to say about this.

I don’t have an issue with this…nobody should profit from anyone’s expense. However, I do have some concerns. First, for you California, you are stirring the hornets nets and it will NOT end well for you. There is a reason why everyone is leaving your state…they are fed up with your high taxes. If I was a kid out of high school, would I want to go to California or any other state with high taxes? A state with federal AND state taxes? Or would I want to come to a place like Texas? This could benefit UH. A lot of powerhouse schools esp up north and West have high tax rates. Second…is there going to be a standard amount the athlete receives? How is that amount determined? Third…for example a video game for NCAA sports, they would just come up with their own characters. Fourth…this opens up all kinds of manipulation and under the table exchanges. In one way I agree with athletes getting paid, but again, they are getting a free ride to college which is saving them 25-30K a year. There would have to be a lot of guidelines and if it sticks, get ready for higher ticket prices which would hurt the NCAA even more. Attendance is a problem now? Just wait.

2 Likes

I never heard a high school kid decide where they were going to live based on taxes.

I never heard anyone say that.

2 Likes

No one has heard of that because student athletes can’t make money. If Texas has a similar law, it would be better to go to a school in Texas with no state income tax rather than California who has a high state income tax. So when an advertiser pays you, you can keep more of your money.

I am not acting like this hasn’t been going on. It doesn’t as much as it used to because schools got sanctions for doing it. And yes, it opens up a serious can of worms.
You don’t need to be in a big market like Houston to profit from this. A&M boosters in Dilly Texas can now send $1M bucks to their favorite player in high school if he will come play for the Aggies. A bit of an exaggeration but close enough. It gets even better if I as a donor/customer figure out how to make this tax deductible by selling the autograph he sent me for a loss or something. Unlike the NFL which limits the salary cap, there is now no cap in college ball.

There has to be a better way.

2 Likes

Curious to see if Cali recruiting goes gangbusters now that an athlete can make a little cash on the side.

If so, it won’t take long for all other states to follow suit.

Question - can the NCAA just maintain its rule of player and the allowable ways they can earn money and kick out schools that do not abide? I always thought NCAA was an opt-in type of club. You can choose not to abide by their rules, but then you can’t play others in the league.

1 Like

new career path, college football agent?

2 Likes

Ah, a new industry. Helping the economy. :us:

Not yet. It’s up to the NCAA to put in limits and regulations. Not sure why you would be opposed to a bill because they don’t set limits. It is not their place to, this is to open up the possibility of making money off their image. If it becomes an open system it will be because the NCAA once again failed at their one job. These states stepping up with these bills is what is needed to get the NCAA to act.

Also if you actually read the bill, there is a system in place where every deal has to be done through contract and the university will have that contract disclosed to them. None of these deals can be in conflict with the athlete’s agreement with the university. It is well put together for the NCAA to step in and regulate. The university or NCAA can easily put into their rules or scholarship agreements that student-athletes can’t make deals with boosters for the university.

2 Likes

NCAA Must Adapt Or Die On Fair Pay-For-Play Bill

The NCAA will do everything in its power to stop SB 206 and the fair pay-for-play law from becoming common practice, despite the fact that votes in favor of the bill have been unanimous.

Somehow, the no-brainer idea that athletes should be allowed to benefit financially from their own celebrity crosses party lines. Even bills aimed at the lofty goal of saving the very planet we live on do not receive that level of support. Bills aimed at reducing gun violence are hotly debated in Assemblies and Senates, but everybody can agree that college football and basketball players deserve a chance at sharing a piece of the multi-billion-dollar pie.

2 Likes

NY may be headed to the same.

1 Like

Florida and South Carolina too

https://twitter.com/danmurphyespn/status/1178692122356207617?s=21

3 Likes

It’s hilarious to me the NCAA’s argument is basically we need more time to figure out what is best and asking states to hold off. You have had decades since big money came in to figure things out and put in plans. Now you have 4 years to come up with a good system.

Maybe we shouldn’t have high hopes. The NCAA has also had 100+ years to figure out a championship for football and never done that either.

7 Likes

This law will just bring the payments that are violations above board now. The big schools already have an advantage; they are seldom punished (beyond a slap on the wrist, in football, anyway) for their transgressions.

Of course I may be very naïve to think that the “below the table” payments will decrease. Being in a big market like Houston may help us in the long run, but there are many unknowns that will play out before all this reaches an equilibrium of some kind.

3 Likes

The NFL should just start Triple A football.
Those who don’t want college can just “go pro”.

7 Likes

Good. Go get that money, kids.