California Governor Signs NIL Bill

The NFL has already spoken and said that college is their Triple A football league. If they wanted a minor league, they would have created one long ago but they decided not to waste their time and money on such things.

Plus NFL teams have practice quads to pull from.

1 Like

This would make college sports more professional than professional sports!

1 Like

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a standard salary/stipend/etc.

The key words were “for us”… if there is an open market for players to be paid for by boosters, the University of Houston is done as a top-level or semi-top-level program.

Selfishly, I suppose, I would prefer a system where that is not the case.

2 Likes

So all 2018 freshman redshirt to get paid in 2023?

This is good.

AAC will be able to promote ourselves as P5, with the PAC 12 gone.

Odd that the law does not go into effect until 2023. Guess, it allows the well heeled alumni time to launder the money. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The Pac 12 will have to ditch the Cali teams and add 4 more teams. Khator and the board are working out details now. Can’t wait.

4 Likes

This is a round about way for California to raise more tax revenue since they are about $20 Billion in debt… The players may not realize that this will be income and then have to count their scholarship money as income also. Hell in California, the state income tax is something like 13%, I believe, so the student athletes will be coughing up a few coins.

Very clever California :laughing:

2 Likes

and that is why the ncaa and the SEC/ACC are against it. They can no longer control where top recruits will go.
It is about controlling the money. Hopefully the cfp is the next domino to fall.

2 Likes

Bingo, the NFL does not want to spend the money. That is why the ncaa and the NFL are in cahoots and have been for years.

3 Likes

There were not getting paid either. I have turned down jobs, even early in my career, because when factoring in the taxes, cost of living, etc, it was a losing proposition.

I’ll have to go on record that this is just bad news for college football. Probably college sports overall. Just glad I have a lot of other interests.

1 Like

Texas’ lack of a state income tax is a major factor in MY decision to call it home!

I am for the kids having more.

As a fan I understand that this can quickly get out of had and realize that the big guys in college athletics will try to hurt UH.

We need to get involved or get left behind.

1 Like

Does this mean that high school players can also now get paid? This is the second knife in the back of college sports. The first was the judge’s decision in the Georgia Oklahoma vs NCAA cause.

1 Like

The ncaa to top dog to California’s Governor top’s head.

All AD’s are panicking now. The ncaa has to respond so…

2 Likes

Already stated my views in the other thread, this will not end well for most. I am curious why there is no push against the NFL since a big part of the problem with their age limit for going pro. Age discrimination should be illegal here. It would also allow talented players to get paid for their skills immediately.

1 Like

I don’t think anything can be done to the NFL to force them to take younger players. Their rule is that you have to be 3 years removed from high school graduation to be eligible. No age mentioned. It’s a qualification for a job as it is for any business.

I think this whole thing will end up only benefiting the richest institutions. A&M will probably throw the most money and will benefit the most.

I like this type of chaos. F- the NCAA and their segregation on COLLEGE FOOTBALL :football:… I hope Florida follows in the steps of California and so does South Carolina & New York. The more the chaos, the better for UH football.

3 Likes

What if even the schools weren’t allowed to profit off of advertising? Private schools can do what they want, but taxpayer funded institutions should not be able to stack up based on commercial advertising value. Take that money out of the sports, and players won’t feel like they’re missing out. Coaches won’t be job hopping. TV contacts won’t determine championship participation.

There’s always a chance to turn back from going down the wrong road.