California Governor Signs NIL Bill

The NCAA did not create the P5 and G5 system. The courts and ESPN did. The NCAA fought against it.

2 Likes

The richest institutions already get the top athletes so nothing will change there. UH will still get its 3 and 2 star athletes so nothing will change there either. There is a chance that we could get better rated athletes being in a larger city. So I think this doesn’t hurt UH but could make UH better.

California is forcing the NCAA’s hand — and no, the college sports world isn’t going to end

First off, the NCAA’s “level playing field” doesn’t actually exist. The more money schools spend, the more coaches they employ, the bigger the stadiums they build, the better recruits they get. The boosters are already buying the recruits (and that’s not even speaking to the non-NCAA compliant payments).

Consider this: In the past three years in football recruiting there have been 97 players ranked as 5-star recruits by Rivals.com. Five schools (Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and LSU) signed a combined 55 of them, leaving just 42 for the remaining 125 FBS schools. Five schools got nearly 57 percent of the best players.

The current top five teams in the weekly AP poll? No. 1. Alabama. 2. Clemson. 3. Georgia. 4. Ohio State. 5. LSU.

What a coincidence.

In this case, even if the rich schools did continue their dominance and horde the best recruits, what changes? Well, other than the money wouldn’t go to associate deputy athletic director salaries and construction contractors for unnecessarily opulent locker rooms, but, instead, directly to players and their families.

1 Like

that is the definition of professional football.

1 Like

In that scenario, it talks about schools paying athletes but that isn’t what the Cali bill wants.

It’s interesting that Khator’s reported comments at TribFest last week don’t seem to be that opposed to the concept in general.

https://twitter.com/ShannonNajma/status/1177600824714977285?s=20

2 Likes

She probably knows it will benefit UH otherwise she would have voiced reservations about doing anything.

EE…agree 100%… Cali is broke and this is simply a money grab. State taxes basically start at 9.5% once a $50K threshold is met, and escalates to almost 17% at the top end.

How much would you care to wager that Cali will now claim scholarships as taxable once this goes into effect ???

And by the way, girls playing volleyball at USC will still get paid zero, while the WR will drive a Range Rover.

2 Likes
  1. Cain’t be unilaterally done.

2. Cain’t be NCAA making all the rules.

3. The student athletes are going to need their own counsel and protections.

The top marginal tax rate is actually closer to 13%.

Also, the state isn’t broke. Not anymore anyway. They have recently run budget surpluses and have established a rainy day fund. The local governments are another story.

I moved to California in 2017 and was fully expecting to get crushed in taxes but it didn’t work out that way. The state income tax has been largely offset by much lower property taxes (CA is capped at 1%). That said, I live inland so my sales tax rates are comparable to Houston’s. That’s not true everywhere on the coast.

3 Likes

Isn’t the ncaa an organization that colleges sign up to be a part of !!

Organizations have a right to make their own rules.

I believe this was upheld in court in favor of the NFL when an Ohio State player sued to be drafted before an accepted age.

He lost.

I believe there is a reason that this does not go into effect for 4 years.

California is in shakedown mode.

2 Likes

As much as I love a good California bashing, the truth is that Texas is one of the higher tax states when you factor in all taxes and all the fees most people have to pay (not as high as California, but not too far off). High property taxes, high sales taxes, toll roads taking over, yearly car registration/inspection, etc. So for average people we are a high cost state. We are a great state for people who make millions and don’t want to pay state taxes.

For college athletes, there will be very few getting big money so looking at state taxes would not make much, if any of a difference.

7 Likes

I believe this bill will help UH’s chances getting into the PAC. They want their player to have the opportunity to get marketing deals. playing and having exposure in BIG markets helps that.

A bookend of having the #2 and #4 most populated cities int eh country is a good thing.

I’m still on the fence if a athletically dedicated Rice would help, or hurt our PAC chances. On one hand, they’d have a premiere private school to pair with a large public school but then they might only want one in Houston.

With that said, my dream is still the ACC!

2 Likes

Colleges sign up to be part of the NCAA not the individual students.

If colleges have their organization then perhaps students need their own organization.

Perhaps the NASA (no pun intended)

The National Association of Student Athletes

Of course this organization can negotiate ALL conditions of being a student athlete including but not limited to all rules, regulations, eligibility, facilities, scholarships, room, board, travel stipends for family, tickets and other conditions of being a student athlete.

Do you see where I am going here.

(Without me going crazy)
Example, redshirt rule.
How about this for a proposal.
“As long as a student is making continuing progress to a first bachelors degree and or a first master degree they shall maintain eligibility to play in athletics without regard to how many years and or games previously played”

April 15th will have a new meaning to all the college kids.

2 Likes

If this system existed right now which Cougar player would be receiving endorsement $money?

King? Anyone else?

Oliver would have last year. Maybe Dane Roy with a local company.

I think this law is great! It doesn’t cost the Universities anything and it allows their athletes to market themselves in the name of capitalism.

1 Like

Why are people pointing fingers at either the State of California or the NCAA as a villain here? Some folks are missing the forest through the trees.

When conferences are paid $51,000,000.00 plus per team, per year, and coaches are being paid in the millions for a single year, college football has already been transformed into a professional form of league. It may not be the NFL, but it certainly isn’t your grandfather’s college football either.

The Genie left the bottle back in 1984 when the Supreme Court ruled that individual colleges could control game day television, and not conferences or the NCAA. Everything that has happened to college football since has a direct connection to that decision. College administrations have sought to protect their own interests and get the money, to the exclusion of others, and television executives have been more than willing to assist in that endeavor. Players are merely playing catch-up to get a piece of that pie.

5 Likes

What does it say on the scholarship papers the student athletes sign ??

I suspect it talks about all of the rules.

Again, in the USA, the student athletes have a choice already.

They don’t have to sign up to get a free education, room and board, etc…

They can just pay for an education themselves (like the vast majority of college students do) and then find a job.

2 Likes

They can already do that…just not while on athletic scholarship !!

It is their choice !

2 Likes