California Governor Signs NIL Bill

Roger Goodell to the ncaa
“Why do we pay you all this money for?”
“What did you not understand about no minor league. You are our minor league. Get it?”
“Now call our lawyers and we will handle this”
But Roger it’s spreading all over the Country
“Did I not make myself clear?”

2 Likes

The NCAA is a private organization. This is not an issue about State Rights.

This is about the rights of an individual student.

Any other student who is not an athlete can make some money off their name. But not a student athlete.

They are prohibited by a unilateral rule by an organization that their school chooses to be a member of.

The students collectively need to bargain the rules. You don’t need to change a single law under my plan.

Even in those localities that prohibits collective bargaining by state employees.

This would be bargaining between two private organizations the NCAA and my proposed NASA.

Of course my proposed organization would take a fee paid by a percentage of revenue…not much .25% sounds logical.

1 Like

So, all they have to do is become a student who is not an athlete.

That is what I thought. It was a big 12 conference transfer rule.

I think we already had that if I remember my history.

His name was Carl Lewis.

He gave up his eligibility to make some money.

He was obviously special not everyone could pull that off.

Sounds as if it mirrors most large corporations.

1 Like

My point exactly. If any athlete believes he will be successful in that manner, go for it.

Reality is that only a small percentage have that fame/pull…

Unscrupulous/wannabeagents…will come in by the hoards trying to convince the athletes to go for it.

In the long run most will be hurt by the illusion.

Can’t…there are literally VERY FEW kids on very few teams (maybe 3 or 4 on a NC caliber team) who can make money off of their likeness.

Kids might have to strike a licensing deal with the Universities to be able to sell gear with school logos.

In all CFB there may be 500 kids who make any money.

Not really true.
Science students who invent some product while at the U do not get ownership of the product. The U does.

1 Like

Baseball does fine with college ball and the minor leagues. Maybe football will need to reduce their need for 85 players so more can join the NFL version of the minor leagues.

That is up to the NFL.

1 Like

I’m trying to think about the last 25 years. Would Houston at large had paid anything for appearances by any college player other than Vince Young? I think all this is going to do is legalize alums paying players and this is not going to end well for anyone, especially UH.

7 Likes

Those of you that say this will be especially bad for UH what about our current situation is good? What about our current situation gives us any advantage over similar schools and athletic programs in our state? We’ve been getting jobbed for years.

2 Likes

Oh so UT, TAM and maybe Bama’s alum are going to start paying for 3 and 2 star recruits. Those recruits that come to UH. Are you kidding?

This isn’t going to hurt UH. It may even help UH for those 4 and possibly 5 stars who want to stay home near their families and earn a lot of money honestly from business ads, autographs etc. within our large city.

Those little small town universities in the SEC and B1G will probably rely on their alum to help but we have the great equalizer, the city of Houston. I think Khator knows this and that’s why she is not so dead against it.

So if a top rated athlete wants to stay home, he can earn the same amount as if he would at Bama or Ohio State. Of course this doesn’t include the under table amount those universities may offer him.

In other words, not much will change for UH.

2 Likes

Nobody knows Matt.
What we know is what the ncaa and the cfp have done for College Football. I read on this site that espn created the cfp. Really? You think so. You are ignoring how the ncaa has benefited from it. Yes that includes the ncaa figure heads (check their salaries)
The media landscape changed in 1984. You (ncaa) are telling us you did not see this coming? They had plenty of times to “restructure” College Football. The ncaa only has itself to blame. Again, this is about controlling the money. Now they are no longer in control. Did you all notice the anger coming out of their lawyers?

2 Likes

The NCAA does not control CFP but I wish the NCAA did because maybe the system would be fairer like the basketball tournament.

No media outlet calls the championship game the NCAA College Football Championship because it’s not. The NCAA only gives the CFP a rubber stamp to operate.

Governance
University presidents and chancellors from all 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame serve as the Board of Managers and govern the administrative operations, with commissioners (the Management Committee) managing the event. A small staff in the CFP office in Irving, Texas, carries out the day-to-day responsibilities.

1 Like

This will not hurt UH.

At worse, we are where we are now. Not getting top recruits, in a G5 conference, and at a disadvantage compared to the blue bloods.

If this passes, it will only help us in my opinion.

Texas, Ohio state, Michigan etc will always have the cream of the crop and will use this to their advantage, but so will UH.

We have a LARGE city with multiple business opportunities and multiple donors with businesses who can use these kids to advertise and in turn, pay them money leading to us probably getting higher rated recruits.

Especially if they’re from Houston, and wanna stay home and make money to support their families.

There is nothing wrong with this law, even if it hurt us. Student Athletes should be allowed to make money off their OWN name and BRAND because the evil empire that is the NCAA has been doing it for years.

2 Likes

Well we should have known they were being run from “Texas” somewhere…the smell of Steak in Austin!

1 Like

https://247sports.com/Article/Ohio-State-Gene-Smith-college-football-players-profit-off-likeness-law-NCAA-136430507/
Now this is funny. The Ohio State AD, Gene Smith is very vocal against the California bill and have threatened them and now his own state is planning something similar. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes