California Governor Signs NIL Bill

So, when recruiting, will donors be able promise to hire kids for their likeness? Kids sign and some auto dealer booster gives him a $500K contract? Every recruit can be legally paid for their likeness.

You do know that they already give similar amounts to recruits under the table. There has always been a bidding war for recruits.

We don’t know the final details of the NCAA NIL plan, but I assume they will have a capped amount. I’m not sure if they will allow booster to offer recruits or not but probably one or two players on a team may get the maximum.

Don’t worry, those 5 stars aren’t coming to UH anyway . . . unless we become a P5.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20191002/bill-would-allow-illinois-collegiate-athletes-to-be-paid-for-endorsement-deals

People, we will not like this. SMU should have a lawsuit for back pay since 1989. This is a catastrophe! The destruction of college football.

2 Likes

The NCAA and P5s are not going to let college football go away because a kid or 2 at a school might make $100K on the side. There is no way they are going to give up millions and billions of dollars.

The NCAA said that they want to figure out a way to make it fair for all schools.

In my opinion it’s not fair for all schools now because they have created the P5 G5 crap to make sure things will not be fair.

5 Likes

I was never in favor of paying college athletes. Then Johnny Online got in trouble for possibly selling autographs and my immediate thought was, it’s his own damn name and autograph. How can you tell an athlete he can’t make money on the side off himself?

This can definitely lead to something akin to signing bonuses, but that’s likely just bringing some of the money above board.

2 Likes

The destruction of College Football started with the creation of the cfp scam. You might rightfully argue that it happened way before. Even though the ncaa does not technically own the cfp it allowed it. They only have themselves to blame. Who knows what the future will be. At this rate staying in a g5 this is not sustainable for our institution. The key strategic move is to get a PAC invite. The biggest question to me regarding the PAC will be uta’s position. They refused the advances from the last go around but that does not mean they will say no now. The PAC might re-consider a possible re-branded utanetwork combined with their own. espn, fox and others are already at work in the background. When there is money there is a way. That way they could tell the PAC to not include us but uta might not have a choice. How did this play in this equation? Market, market, market. We represent a gold mine to be exploited. Again this is about demographics and the potential ROI that we represent. How are we going to be valued? Your guess is as good as mine but how do you think our geographical location plays out? Yes, baylor, ttech, okstate and many other Schools must be on high alert. The advertising possibilities are endless with this new College Football. There is one key point that has not been mentioned here. Who do you think advertisers target most? Broadly it is the 14 to 20 years old market.
What has happened with Football? Participation has gradually decreased. How does an 18 year old relate to another 18 year old? They surely have more in common than Fitzpatrick playing in the NFL. This could be a huge positive for children’s football interest.

1 Like

Alabama will have players dumb as a door knob but getting a full team of paid players. Will education matter anymore??!

A lot of their 5 star players already get paid under the table. There’s nothing new about that. I’ve read quite a bit of articles that have eluded to that but of course no one goes into details.

The difference is that now it will be above ground instead of under the table.

2 Likes

Does it matter now? If it mattered there would be no Thursday, Friday, Tuesday games in any sport. A lot of athletes aren’t allowed to take the major they want and are pushed towards easier degrees. They struggle to get classes because of practice times. Always having to make up tests and assignments because of their sports schedule. A prestigious university like UNC created fake classes for athletes. How much more can the education side be lessened??

Stop acting like this is new. All universities in D1 are paying players or agreeing to do things for players or promising jobs after playing or something illegal. Every single one of them.

4 Likes

Who is acting??? I clearly pointed out Education, as that is what college is about. Should we just make team names and just hire player to play for those teams? How long can one play for the team or school since education is no longer, or better yet, was never a part of it. If they are getting paid, then why should there be classes at all. The lines have now been crossed forever. Paying these athletes should have never been done, period.

1 Like

I’m against direct payments from schools at this point, but not allowing student athletes to make money off their likeness, image, or a business they created is ridiculous. Who knows what college football will look like in 20 or 30 years, but there will be almost no change by allowing players to make money on the side as long as the NCAA puts in good guidelines and regulations. There are zero logical reasons to be against this move. The biggest thing I see from people is what the NCAA is afraid of, the old give a mouse a cookie, worried about players expecting more in the future. Why are they afraid of this? Because it will cut into their profits. It’s going to happen regardless. The ones in control just don’t want to have to deal with this right now. “It’s going to be hard to regulate” isn’t a good enough answer for a billion dollar enterprise.

2 Likes

If this means they’ll bring back the NCAA football video game, I’m all for it

3 Likes

It is a fair and valid point. At the same time I have no doubt that Auburn for example got Cam Newton on a private live auction.
How many P5 programs are considered great Schools?
How many blue chips go to these same Schools?
This has been happening for many decades.
The ncaa without a doubt has turned and is turning a blind eye. Who knows the payback they are getting from these Schools.

2 Likes

The NCAA has issues. but is not a bad concept. There are problems with many big names school’s boosters paying off athletes to go to a specific school. That adds to an uneven playing field. (I doubt all the 5 stars would go to just the same 5 schools if they were not paid under the table) The NCAA has no power to investigate the situations. So the Cali passes a law the encourages the pay to play for a specific school unevenness. What if the states actually passed laws to help prevent the under the table payments and make them a crime to help level the playing field instead of encourage more of the same…

1 Like

Many state politicians and state governments are in lock step with the big state universities athletic programs . . . . .

1 Like

It’s not for payments, those will still go on even with players having the opportunity to get paid off their image. But to your question, why would a state waste taxpayer money to try to stop something that can’t be prevented? It can’t be done. What crimes are there? Remember in the FBI case, the victims were the universities. That is the only way they could make it a crime that the shoe company runners were hurting the schools by making the players ineligible. The FBI had so many more payments they found, but if it came from a school booster or if it was ordered by an employee of the school, there was no crime.

1 Like

“But to your question, why would a state waste taxpayer money to try to stop something that can’t be prevented? It can’t be done. What crimes are there?”

You mean crimes like fraud, unfair business practices, monopolistic practices. The government spends billions on crimes that cannot be prevented. Not even counting theft, assault, and murder. They also have many laws to help prevent unfair issues that can hurt individuals or businesses. The under the table payments do hurt schools like UH that seem to follow the rules a little more closely. Just look at the TV contract vs the American. Yes, the payments to players are not the only factor but it is rampant in the SEC and it makes teams like Auburn far more attractive than they would be outside of the state of Alabama.

1 Like