California Governor Signs NIL Bill

Wow, doom and gloom. I see you took every negative aspect. That’s to be expected of some people but it’s not reality.

There is no way the NCAA is going to risk losing billions of dollars. They will have rules and regulations in place but let’s see what they have to say at their meeting this month.

Uh Oh! Not Texas!

I guess Texas wants to make sure they are on the right side of history too.

State Rep. Jeff Leach (R-Plano) wants Texas’ college athletes to get paid to play. Leach’s proposal is modeled after one recently signed into law by California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

“I’m not sure I’ve ever said this before – but the California Governor absolutely got this one right,” Leach wrote on Twitter. “I plan on working on similar legislation here in Texas that frees our collegiate athletes & allows them to earn money from the use of their own names, images & likenesses.”

The Fair Pay to Play Act does not mandate that players be paid. It merely allows them the option to get compensated. Female athletes, who lack viable professional playing options, stand to benefit the most.

According to the NCAA, of the 3,692 draft eligible female players, 32 were drafted in 2018. That’s about 1 percent. And as advocates such as Megan Rapinoe have highlighted, the pay disparity between professional male and female athletes is wide and deep. The maximum salary for a WNBA player is $113,500, whereas the minimum salary of an NBA player is $838,464.

Consider one example: Katelyn Ohashi. Ohashi, a former UCLA gymnast, performed a gravity-defying routine in January that not only garnered a perfect 10, but also catapulted her through the social media stratosphere. The number of views for her routine, a video hosted on the UCLA Athletics YouTube page, had attracted more than 64 million views.

For Ohashi, this moment could be the zenith of her athletic career. What if she wanted to return to her hometown of Seattle and host the Ohashi Gymnastics Camp or sign a sponsorship deal with a local car dealership?

Under the old system, she would immediately lose her scholarship. Under the Fair Pay to Play Act, Ohashi could capitalize on that narrow window of opportunity to secure private sector compensation. The money generated from the Nick Saban Football Camp may represent a blip on the balance sheet of the Alabama head football coach, but for a collegiate athlete, the extra funds could be a game changer.

Austin wants a piece of the pie.

2 Likes

All she would have to do is walk away from her scholarship, run the camp, and just like other’s who venture in business, take the risk of being a success or going broke. She can ALWAYS re-enter school and like most students, PAY HER WAY . . . . .

Can’t wait to hear the female athletes cry about being compensated like the men, just like the national soccer team very few people watch.

Senator Mitt Romney says Congress will act on NCAA: ‘We’re coming for you’

https://sports.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-ncaa-player-compensation-mark-walker-014505777.html

Romney…!!!

…I am sure they are shaking in their boots :sunglasses:

3 Likes