California Governor Signs NIL Bill

The article eludes to boosters and G5’s large markets as solutions for G5s to gain in the recruiting war.

Why is this law potentially good for G5 schools

I think it could go a long way in creating parity in college sports. Specifically, football.

We all know about the bagmen that circulate on the black market of the college football world. Bringing these players to light and making it above board is not going to alter the recruiting world all too much. In 2010 the top 10 recruiting classes were Florida, Texas, USC, Alabama, Oklahoma, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida State, LSU and UCLA. In 2020, guess how many of those same schools a decade ago are currently about to sign a top 10 class? Seven!

Schools like Tulane, SMU, and Houston can really capitalize off of their market and use the large pockets of their boosters to potentially become a national player.

SMU was a powerhouse in the 80s thanks to their boosters willing to pay for players. There’s no reason why the Mustangs can’t revert to being a power. Being in Dallas, SMU can entice recruits to be the face of college football in a big city with various endorsement deals from companies like Southwest Airlines on the larger end, or some popular Air Condition company on the lower end.

I could see Fertitta giving the entire basketball team tickets to Rocket games. That is if gifts aren’t illegal anymore. :wink:

Edit: Thinking about it a little more, P5s are probably pushing the NCAA against this law because of the potential benefits to some G5s.

1 Like

What is the potential advertising ROI for a player located in the greater Houston area vs smaller markets?
We are now seventh and climbing.

This is hugely important for any P5 invite.

1 Like

And the PAC12 is the only P5 conference with the most schools located in large cities. Perfect match for UH if this law is universal.

1 Like

In the age of cord cutting you look at maximizing your audience.
At a glance you can clearly see that the Houston media market is the one market that does not have a P5 program close to it. Is that a coincidence?

You can add West Virginia to the list.

Let em make money.
Soon teams will just be sponsored by the university without education participation.
This will be the NEW Div 1.
Where kids actually are students with classroom responsibility will be the new Div 1A(using old terminology).

Poll: 60% of Americans support college athletes getting paid endorsements

The latest Seton Hall Sports Poll, conducted by the Sharkey Institute at Seton Hall University, finds that 60% of people surveyed say student athletes should be allowed to profit from the use of their name, likeness, or image, while 32% said no, and 8% were unsure. The responses fall along familiar age demographics: 80% of people between ages 18 and 29 support the paid endorsements, but only 50% of people above age 60 do.

Meanwhile, 59% of people say the governing body that should oversee the issue is the NCAA, while only 27% say it should be up to state governments.

The poll is in line with my assumption that the younger generations would be more accepting of the NIL law.

1 Like

Good info but the survey sample size is too small. Prior to my BBA I worked for a polling company. The best surveys with non directional/opinion questions (very hard to do) are best starting with 1,200 people. That is why so many surveys are either wrong or very wrong. The major problem is that they can/are used for conveying messages. Political is one.

3 Likes

Ah!

1 Like

Chris, I had a great teacher that told me that in the 11th grade and I never forgot it. You are pinpoint accurate. I never go by polls since you can use 100 people or less and make it seem like you are talking for the masses. Thank you for you post!

1 Like

Actually California has our largest population and people are flocking there.

Going from 714 to 1200 changes the margin of error by how much? 1%? I think the most important thing for a poll is getting the correct group of people. I would bet if its all college football fans the numbers would be even higher for allowing athletes to profit off their image. I can imagine a few older people in that poll who don’t watch college football or follow the news had no idea what they were answering.

Earlier this year, a federal judge in California ruled in Alston v. NCAA that the NCAA’s rules on compensation violate antitrust laws and need to be expanded. But before the Fair Pay to Play Act was signed, Pesident Renu Khator, along with 21 other NCAA representatives, came out against its passage, saying among other things the bill was unconstitutional.

This embarrassing move is sure to land on the wrong side of history. So will Khator’s conservative style of leadership, which has grated some of her once-supporters and eroded her past progressive bona fides.

Since Khator is on the NCAA board of directors, this is not unexpected. She has to stick with the “company line” and I don’t think this will hurt her popularity.

Right now Khator is part of the NCAA or as some call it, “the Cartel”. Hopefully she can help the NCAA navigate through this process.

1 Like

We aren’t in a position to “lead the way” when it comes to these types of things. If we want to join a P5, we have to play along and build relationships. This is part of it.

5 Likes

Those would be people seeking a free ride !!

I read the piece multiple times. Mr. Drew Jones cites our leader multiple times and tries to make a point.
Mr. Drew Jones had the chance to interview Mrs. Khator multiple times before he came out for this piece.
Did he try? We do not know.
Did he mention that he tried to interview Mrs. Khator? No.
Mr. Drew Jones is a print journalism senior.

AAC commissioner Mike Aresco goes off when talking about student-athletes possibly getting paid

“What people forget too, and I wonder if these legislators in California even thought about this, we’re talking about the competition here. This isn’t the Olympics where people compete individually once every four years, this is competition across a broad spectrum of schools,” Aresco said. “You need to try and make it a level playing field.”

2 Likes

What a hypocrite. Remember friends he worked for all of the major networks including espn. He is the same individual that signed off on the New Year Eve Bowl thus accepting the cfp. What he is not telling you is that he is being paid off by the ncaa. Keep calling us P6 while we receive peanuts.

1 Like

There is something really strange about the NCAA being adamantly against student athletes having a part time job or making money from his YouTube videos.

A student on campus with a full scholarship can make as much extra money as he wants but a student athlete can’t earn a penny in his personal time. That doesn’t sound fair to me and particularly doesn’t sound like the American way.

Aresco is following the NCAA company line to keep control of the athletes and keep billions. We should not expect any commissioner, AD or school president to be for student athletes making their own money.

All those against the California law argues it’s unfair to other states but many other states are proposing similar laws. California has given the NCAA 3 more years to make a national NIL rule before most states make their own.

I can’t wait to hear what the NCAA NIL working group is proposing at the meeting this month. Before the California bill, they probably were just going to increase the stipend by $200 but now they know they have to do more.

3 Likes

So are the CA schools going to get excluded from Bowl Games? Probably not. Soon kids will not be required to go to class. The U will sponsor a football team. They will drop the facade of the student athlete. The star players often have no interest in the academics. They will practice as much as they like. Teammates will do the same to keep up. Those that want the education will go elsewhere.
There will be about 40 teams that can buy recruits. They will be the new DIV I.
DIV 2 will be for student athletes.

1 Like