Cameron Tyson transfers to Houston from Idaho, sit one-play 3

No one wants a 7 footer who can’t hoop. But we want a 6-9 6-10 235+40 center. Blessed Fabian White but he’s only 6-7 who is not a jump and run athlete who will struggle for rebounds against taller centers and his defense would suffer ala UCF.

white will be at the 4…

Gresham or harris at 5 next year… Gresham at 5 his senior year
he just needs to put some weight on him…

also ledee at 4 not 3…alley at 3 not 4 (by that time)…sasser is a shooter at the 2, not a point

i think dejon goes nba next year…i think we will have a freshmen point guard …i think we will bring in 2 point guards, 1 of them will be the starter

1 Like

I could see Jarreau leaving early.

1 Like

It was meant as an initial rotation. Yes I think White plays the 4, same with Ledee.
I don’t really like Alley at the 3.

As for Sasser I just plugged him into an available spot

One thing to remember about Fabian is that he didn’t get to go through offseason S&C last year. With a full offseason to work on his body he may be able to give more minutes at the 5 than it seems like he would be able to at the moment.

2 Likes

but note by next year and definitely his senior year he will be one of our best scorers…

there is no way he can play the 5 at his size (with actual defense) without fouling …i can only see him as an occasional 5…i dont see sampson putting him regularly against some 6’10 240 guys pushing and fighting for potion, risking fouls against on our only big who has proven he can score regularly

1 Like

Yes he can, it is called body position and defensive rotations. Most matchups he will be just fine against while some others he will need a little more help.

He’s about the same size as Gresham, though not as athletic, and Gresham is a year older.

I don’t think he’s ideal at the 5 either, but if we have a situation where our 3 best “bigs” coming into or during the season are Alley, White and Gorham, I think you’ll see two of those guys on the floor together a decent amount of the time.

1 Like

Nate and Jarreau both said they were leaving for NBA next year. Or atleast going trought the process depending on how we do. Gresham said he was staying until his senior year. Money is leaving also. That puts us in a good position 2021. Take it for what its worth, they were joking most of the time but to me probably some truth.

CAMERON TYSON TRANSFERRING TO HOUSTON

When Tyson signed with Idaho, Vandals Head Coach Don Verlin said, "What immediately jumps out about Cameron is that he can really, really shoot the ball and that his range extends beyond the NBA 3-point line. "We believe that he has the skill level and the physical strength to come in and compete at a high level right away.

“He also fits the profile of the type of player that we want in the program. He is a really high-character guy with a tremendous work ethic and a passion for the game.”

1 Like

Our starting 5 next year will be either Gresham or Harris. White will only be a 5 when Sampson is running his small line up.

As long those two continue to play tough defense we will be fine,

the athletic part plays into it…and my point weighed in on his value as a scorer…that if Gresham goes down bring we can just rotate another…i think we wont mind taking a hit on Gresham…we’ll rotate harris, then we’ll rotate roberts…
i think fabian next year will be a 10-14pts scorer for us, his offensive value will out weigh the others

in the fan appreciation thing?

Yeah.

Dang forgot to include Roberts though there may be a chance he redshirts.
Really just brought it up for discussion. Nothing set in stone and I can see the rotations going in a variety of defferent ways.
For those who think they have it all figured out I can pretty much assure every scenario mentions in this thread and more will be considered.

1 Like

Of course they’re going thru the process next spring. Kelvin has already stated he would advise them to do so. Deeky will be a 4th-year Junior. Despite Progs’ saying Nate was overrated, I expect him to test the waters. That said, if both get drafted we would have had a hell of a season

2 Likes

…[quote=“coogrr72, post:97, topic:18742, full:true”]
Of course they’re going thru the process next spring. Kelvin has already stated he would advise them to do so. Deeky will be a 4th-year Junior. Despite Progs’ saying Nate was overrated, I expect him to test the waters. That said, if both get drafted we would have had a hell of a season
[/quote]

…and Progs goes on Double Secret Probation.

i wish i could have seen how they worded it

dejon declaring was a virtual certainty… he has to see where he stood with the nba with his age…
hinton is a bit of a surprise …

curious if he said test of the waters or go the nba next season, and how much of a joke it was

Yeah, i hope he goes. To me the guy is talented and could very well put on a show as a starter next season. I think he feels hes ready and that was always the plan. I remember CKS saying nate would stay till his JR but if he improves alot theres no point.

Side note. Idk if it was said but he also mentioned his nose didn’t affect him and it healed 3 weeks after it was broken. So no need for surgery. Ive been off for a while so dont know whats been or has not been said.

I agree but this came from their mouths not coach is all im saying.