Can new "blue bloods" be established?

Every school starts somewhere right? Can UH eventually be a blue blood 20 years from now as long as we continue the upwards trajectory?

what’s a blue blood?

4 Likes

Don’t know but I wouldn’t count on it. Miami had some truly great teams and won national titles as did FSU and they aren’t considered blue bloods.
Explain to me how Texas is considered one?
To me it is an overrated phrase.

5 Likes

That was excellent.

My list of Blue Bloods:

• Alabama
  • Michigan
  • USC
  • OU
  • Texas
  • Ohio State
  • Notre Dame

UH will NEVER be a Blue Blood. You have to have HISTORY. Championships, Heismans, etc. We don’t have the history that the Blue Bloods do. We have the ability, being in a P5 conference, to be able to build a program that consistently competes year in and year out.

Upward trajectory? After we get rid of Dana we will have that.

I can imagine UH’s own Paul Revere riding by TDECU Stadium and hollering out - "the whiners are coming, the whiners are coming!

2 Likes

Sadly, no one will be inside the stadium to hear him

3 Likes

Win seven football NC within the next 20 years and we’d be as blue blooded as anyone.

4 Likes

Its an elusive term. The only way I can define it is the ability to be notable or great with minimal effort.
However, one of the prerequisites is usually broad-based regional support. This is the headwind for UH.

In that case we’d be Clemson, and I’d be damn fine with being Clemson

3 Likes

We have history AND ALL 3 MAJOR INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS!!!

We just need the championship…

1 Like

Miami won 5 football national championships and isn’t considered a blue blood.

5 Likes

There are only a hand full of blue bloods, imo. I’m not even sure I can define it. A name brand program that had great success over an extended period of time, like a dynasty of college football or something. Not sure. Alabama comes to mind. Notre Dame, Michigan, etc.

I don’t think UH will ever be considered to be a blue blood because UT and aTm will always be older and better funded programs and I think the term blue blood is really more a matter of perception.

I do think UH could be a perennial top 10 team and compete for championships. It takes leadership and donors to feed the beast, but it can definitely happen. What we can do right now is buy season tickets, show up and be loud every single game. It starts with support at the games. Success and donors will follow, rinse repeat.

1 Like

Oklahoma.

I don’t give a damn what they call is as long as they’re looking up at us in the standings at the end of the season!

2 Likes

I’m aware of our history, but when you look at the Blue Bloods, we are so far off. Here’s just a snippit of history from a few of them:

Texas

• 32 Conference Championships
  • 4 National Championships
  • 2 Heisman Winners

Oklahoma

• 50 Conference Championships
  • 7 National Championships
  • 7 Heisman Winners

Ohio State

• 41 Conference Championships
  • 8 National Championships
  • 7 Heismans

When you look at our record, it looks like this:

• 0 National Championships
  • 11 Conference Championships
  • 1 Heisman

Even if we were to win a Championship, we wouldn’t ever be considered a Blue Blood. You’ve got to have history - All Americans, Championships, Heismans, etc.

What we do have is the opportunity to be a top 25 program, year in and year out, and compete on the national level now that we are moving to a P5.

We have Frenchys

8 Likes

Fair enough… But UT isn’t in that same class either just looking at the numbers. They’re more deserving than UH but not close to those other schools.