Can new "blue bloods" be established?

^^THIS^^

1 Like

We have 17 National championships, 16 in Golf. Why the negativity

2 Likes

Iā€™d add USC to the list, but otherwise it looks really solid.

Itā€™s likely that the only reason that UT only has 2 Heisman winners is that Vince Young most likely couldnā€™t spell Heisman if you spotted him the Hā€¦Eā€¦Iā€¦Sā€¦Mā€¦Aā€¦

This is a football thread lol

1 Like

Forget ā€œblue bloodsā€ letā€™s aspire to be ā€œnew bloodsā€.

I read an interesting article about Clemson and how their town lives and dies by the 6 home games they host there every year. Thereā€™s no real growth in those college towns when there are no other industries other than football. Houston has growth potential in spades. Sure we have to compete with other things for peopleā€™s attention, but the increased revenue is going to boost our marketing budgets, and winning will put butts in seats.

UT more is more like a purple blood. Need to pump those numbers up.

The problem is Iā€™m not sure attaining these numbers is possible anymore. These old schools collected all their titles when there were only a few program that got any media coverage, funding, and recruits. Now everyone knows UH and TTU and TCU and Baylor and aTm and UTSA and SMU exists and can watch their games and follow their programs on social media. No one school in any state has a monopoly on talent in that state, and top talent in any state has access to any school in the country. Flagship universities used to have a monopoly on in-state talent and if their state had the best high school talent in the country, then that flagship university would dominate for years.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t consider OU and Texas a blue blood.

But yes we can be a blue blood in 20 years if we dominate every sport and win atleast 10 out of the 20 years. The new generation will consider that blue blood.

1 Like

Negativity? LOL. This is a football thread on the football board. Iā€™m simply trying to state facts, and at the end of the day, we donā€™t need to worry about anything other than winning football games. If we can get to a place where we consistently do that, then weā€™ll be just fine.

Also - Iā€™m well aware and well versed of our history in menā€™s golf (hence my username). LOL

LOL @OU not being a Blue Blood.

Are you basing it on the last 20 years. Because if so then UH can definitely be a blue blood.

History, perception, money, fan support. That is why a Florida St or Miami never joined the ā€œblue bloodā€ ranks. Not a long enough history, smaller fan bases than the top college programs, less money, less perception. If the real UT or A&M had ever won anything of significance then they could be a part of the club easier than Florida St. If Tennessee or A&M went on some wild 10 year run with multiple national championships, they might jump into that category. Nebraska could probably jump back into that group if they got back to 10+ win seasons and another championship.

Pretty simple to join the ranks. Average over 80,000 in fans to games, be a top 10 athletics spending program, win multiple national championships (in different eras too), have top tier conference championships that span at least 6 decades. UH could easily be a blue blood by the 2060s!

2 Likes

Interesting question and what reality tells us.
The utau pimp is part of the list but does it belong. By the way how can a pimp belong to an elite? That is an entire different discussion.
Facts:
The utau pimp does not belong in the top ten even if you remove Yale it still does not belong.

Complete list per the ncaa

For all eyes to see Georgia Tech has the same number of Championships that the utau pimp has. Are they considered above the utau pimp? No and why not especially if you consider the utau pimp overall infinite resources?
So how do we define a blue blood?
Interesting articles.

There are many others. A blue blood is just a perception. Some of it might be true but it is just merely a perception.
UH is finally back in a power conference. Letā€™s just say that the BIG12 stays a power conference. We all know that the greater Houston area is one if not the best H.S. football recruiting area in the entire nation. We can assume that the utau pimp will be an SEC laughing stock or an after thought shortly after they enter the SEC freeway. Their momentous BIG12 failures speak for themselves.
That leaves many greater Houston area football players thinking about joining UH vs the sewer colors. I predict that we are going to ā€œmoveā€ mountains in the no so distant future. By leaving the utau pimp just awakened the sleeping giant. The biggest question for me is if the BIG12 retains the Power conference moniker.

There are only a few programs that pack 80k in a stadium. I mean very few. Avg attendance Div 1 is about 41.5k Blueblood has more to do with perception than anything and history. Instead of Blueblood I call them legendary programs too me they are OSU, Bama, OU,UT, ND,USC, Michigan Nebraska Not sure about Clemson, FSU, Miami but there close.

I would wait until we have at least 3 decades of consistent top 10 finishes and about 5 national championships before we get labeled a blue blood.

There are a number of schools listed below who are still not considered blue bloods but have won national championships since the 90s

LSU
Miami
Florida State
Florida
Clemson
Tennessee

What did we do when we were on a level playing field? SWC days, multiple championships and individual awards. After over 30 years in contrived purgatory we find ourselves again on a highway as opposed to a dusty road. With the right coaches and staff we can compete with anyone for accomplishments on the field and media recognition.

We need another Harry Fouke.

The answer is yes. But the odds against are astronomical.

Stating facts automatically exclude the utau pimp. The facts or National Championships are crystal clear he does not belong. You canā€™t argue with facts. Bringing other factors will create a perception. This is a huge difference friend.

You make a good point. I did a little research to support your argument. Itā€™s hard to compete with history and accomplishment.

1 Like