Ch 2 investigation into UH athletic department over UH soccer Thabo cases (update: current players respond to JD)

The injuries only affected the women’s soccer team, as far as I know but the S&C coach, Bowens aslo trained the Men’s Track and Field team, probably the women too. There were no injuries on those teams related to his training regimen. The men’s team, especially some sprinters, were very unhappy about his dismissal and during the indoor season were using #BowensMade or something similar on their tweets. I don’t use Twitter so I don’t know if they still use it of if Leroy told them to cool it.

1 Like

SO you LIVE iIn Northern Nevada. I Lived In Winnemucca Nevada For A Year in 2017. Too Far Away From The Coogs So My Wife And I Moved Back To Sugar Land!!

A 2 month old story where the responsible party has been dismissed and new policies put into place is not really "new"s. Hack job.

3 Likes

I happened to bump into the women’s soccer coach at the airport in Chicago last week. I had no idea who he was, but he was wearing a UH jacket so I started talking to him. Great guy!!! We talked about everything from Dr. Khator, to our kids and school, to soccer. I know next to nothing about soccer. He was telling me about how each athlete has a tracker in their shoes so they can monitor how far they run and if it’s a sprint, start and stop, etc. They use that in a game to monitor player activity and their substitution patterns. I know it was only 1 conversation, but would be shocked if this was a directive that came from him. Sounds like we had a rogue trainer and he was justifiably fired.

1 Like

Can I get Ch2 to do an expo on my old high school football coaches?

Folks would want to tar and feather then crucify them.

I hate to sound like (no I don’t) ‘old man walks uphill in the snow’…but damn…the shit we went through was three times as bad when I was 15-17.

4 Likes

You boys ain’t getting no water.

2 Likes

Rocketbill: Actually we live here in South Lake Tahoe NV. We are ahead of the curve, to take advantage of when UH joins the PAC 12 :wink:

2 Likes

Those hacks ran that hit piece months ago.

It’s called anti UH filler !!!

2 Likes

Here’s the report. My main takewaway is that this is definitely different from what was reported 4 months ago. Back then, Minor Bowens, the Olympic sports S&C coach was blamed and fired due to the claims. However, this report, coming directly from one of the players and confirmed by others, puts Bocanegra squarely in the cross-hairs for the Rhabdo.

So, did we fire a coach that shouldn’t have been blamed? That coach was also very tight with the T&F program and his firing has upset a number of the T&F athletes and the coaches as he was considered a big part of their success.

Not a good look for our department, even if it is a “hit piece.”

What happened during the workout: The grueling workout included up-downs, planks and shuttle runs, according to the player, who said many on the team were having difficulty understanding what was going on. "I was just so mad and confused because, of course, I was going to keep going 'cause I’m scared, but I’m looking at everyone else and people were crying, barely pushing themselves off the ground.”

Players were scared: The player said Bocanegra uttered obscenities as many struggled. “Get up, Get the F up. This is your fault. Get up,’ just, like, over and over again,” she said. She said the team was too fearful to speak up. “No one was going to say anything. Everyone was so scared.” The workout lasted for nearly an hour and the player said she felt “tortured almost” afterward.

Why the punishment? Two players on the team were accused of, “stealing food from the football players,” the player said. She said she and her teammates had planned for a quick practice. “Instead, we were punished for something that two people did that had nothing to do with everyone else,” she said.

2 Likes

1 Like

They never mentioned the times when Texas football players were robbing fast food places in the Austin Area under Mack Brown either, that only stayed local in Austin, but I remember.

1 Like

Punishing an entire group for the acts of one or a few is an idiotic way of discipline. I don’t know where the idea came from but it starts in kindergarten and lasts, I guess at least through college sports. Military personnel endure it their whole careers.

2 Likes

Its a team. When you mess up the whole team should pay. That method creates unity. This new generation doesn’t get that. back in the day 32 years ago, my High school coaches would be in jail for what they made us do if it was 2019. I had no issues with it back then and still don’t. My dad was a High school coach and AD for 40+ years in Texas, he said the day the took the paddle away was the day the teachers lost control.

4 Likes

It creates animosity if the team wasnt together to begin with. I dont get the food thing though. If they were hungry why not just let them eat. How much can 2 girls possibly eat? Other than that you dont become the best by not putting the work in some coaches have more colorful language than others. Michigan state basketball coach for example. Im not excusing because i wasnt there but weve all had those coaches.

2 Likes

Just playing devils advocate here. Does it actually promote unity or is that just what we were told? I can see that maybe it would create unity if there was no particular individual to blame. However, if there is someone to blame, the only real unity you will have is those who didn’t do anything wrong unifying in anger towards those that did. Unity comes with the pursuit of a common goal or the fight against a common enemy. Coaches should be very careful to not make the common enemy one of the other players or even himself.

I am totally fine with and welcome someone reporting on these types of problems as long as they tell it like it is. These athletes could have life long problems from rhabdomyolysis. Covering it up only makes it possible to keep happening. That would be a bigger embarrassment.

3 Likes

Ch 2 has been planning our demise for years!!!

1 Like

The lesson creates unity by making everyone accountable for their actions. It’s a bigger price to pay when everyone is puking.

I’m glad we are using that technology. It’s being used in kids select sports across the country to the point where you can outfit your kid with that shoe monitor and watch your kids practice / game on the internet.
All without taking salt tablets or getting water from a wet towel the trainer passed around for the team to share.

Adidas was the first i believe to bring that out. It was called micoach and it was used for running and soccer training. This was like 10 years ago so the tech isnt new but most professional teams get there performance or statistics from it.