Class of 2022 Offers

Law: You know it comes and goes with Kinkaid and St. John’s…when I was in school, we sucked my soph year, then got a HOF type coach (Gary McMillian), and we went 21-1 my Junior and Senior years. We had loads of talent. I was a 6’4” 225 lb TE and was the SMALLEST guy on the OL…
If this young man has talent around him, they should be really good. I am always glad to see Private school kids earn D1 Schollies…

But no matter the records, the KS/SJS game is ALWAYS a toss up :+1::smiley:

TAPPS plays a very good brand. I know St Johns and Kinkaid are not exactly TAPPS but they play a lot of the TAPPS schools.

I went to a Concordia Lutheran v St Pius game two years ago expecting it to be sub par football. That is not the case. There were a lot of first rate athletes. On the level of 4a football.

I was impressed.

1 Like

SJS has a few TAPPS schools on its schedule this year.

https://mavs.sjs.org/team-detail?fromId=241919&Team=12234&SeasonLabel=2021%20-%202022&siteId=1232

One of them, the Village School, should probably be in the SPC, but isn’t.

Of course, Houston Christian, which should probably be in TAPPS, is in the SPC. Whatever!

My guess is that SJS will be mediocre, and that Kinkaid, provided this QB stays healthy, will walk all over their schedule and finish as the top ranked private in the State.

The SJS v. Kinkaid game, the oldest and biggest private school rivalry in the State, is worth seeing, even if it’ll likely be a lopsided Kinkaid victory this year.

Attendance typically 13-20K in Rice Stadium…for a HIGH SCHOOL game!!!

The game more or less serves as a homecoming/reunion weekend event for both schools at the end of the season.

1 Like

Law I was impressed with the level of play and the level of player.

If the SWC was still around and Rice got all the the TAPPS players…,Rice would be competitive.

1 Like

I definitely wouldn’t go THAT far. The privates do produce a handful of Division I-FBS signees each year (like Kopp), but you could never build a program off of them.

Of course, Strake Jesuit and Dallas Jesuit now play 6A UIL ball against the biggest public schools, so I’m not sure that they really count. I got it. They are private. But they’re so much bigger than the rest that it’s not really a fair comparison.

1 Like

Kinkaid recruits. That gives them an advantage. But don’t think Kinkaid beating SJHS this year is a given.

1 Like

I like judging recruits on who we offer and who accepts. The ones that accept our offers are the ones I want. If they don’t accept, they don’t matter to me.

Gang,

I just watched that guy’s hudl highlights. Whether at QB or WR, he truly looks like a man playing against little kids.

Besides him, I wonder if that #77 that Kinkaid has on the O-line is available. That dude looks HUGE!!!

Did you win a championship back to back years?

1 Like

77 signed with Dartmouth. We didn’t offer him for some reason.

Looks as though Kinkaid is the runaway favorite in SPC-4A.

Ya know what’s funny? 30+ years ago, back in my time, Episcopal School of Dallas didn’t even play football!

https://twitter.com/TXPrivateFBGuy/status/1415795122470592513/photo/1

1 Like

His QB play was mainly as a runner. I would think he is probably being recruited as a WR but could see some running plays for him as a QB, with an occasional pass thrown in.

I know 6 of the kids on the SJ team. None of them recruited.

Check out the other string about John Perdue at SJS. He’s a rare top athlete at St. John’s. I have a feeling that, barring injury, he’ll never leave the field for any play, and may be good enough to literally carry them to a great season!

1 Like

The father of two of them was a UH track guy

Yes, back to back. But at that time, we had no Championship Game (North/South, ie, St. Mark’s (Tommy Ebner alum), Cassidy, OKC Holland Hall, etc)…
McMillian was a truly great coach, won more games at Kinkaid than any other coach by a mile.
We had 5 guys IN MY CLASS who ran legit 10.0 100 yard dashes. Jimmy Stroope played at TCU behind Mike Renfro, Doug Mackay started at DL for Baylor, Max Bunch tried to walk on as a RB at Texas, but could have easily played elsewhere…

But we had a freak class. Privates just don’t have the depth or numbers. For instance, I am sure we would have beaten Memorial, but a Beaumont Westbrook would have beaten us 100-6😃