Coach No D

It certainly is a bad defense against any team that can pass. Not to mention the bad use of the best d lineman in college making him stay in one place and not letting him roam like Orlando did.

1 Like

It helps when youā€™re able to rush the passer. Name a decent edge rusher since Bowser?

If you donā€™t have a Bowser, then you have to adjust the scheme to figure out different ways to get different types of pressure on the QB

4 Likes

You have to pressure passing teams. While our secondary may not be the most talented ( actually there is no way of knowing with this coaching approach), you give any QB with an arm 10 seconds to find a receiver, he will.

The DC clearly doesnā€™t understand todayā€™s passing game and the defense needed to stop it.

Weā€™ll see if he can change, but I am not optimistic.

And, yes, he is wasting EOā€™s last year.

5 Likes

Coach Orlando already gave up more points on USCā€™s first drive then Stanford did all game long against USC. Best defensive coach ever! haha

1 Like

So, you are a Denofrio (so) fan !

Iā€™m not sure we really have good pass rushers. Chambers is as a DL. Anenih may be at OLB. But weā€™re nothing like we were when we had Bowser, Taylor, etc.

Iā€™m not an apologist for Dā€™Onofrio. Iā€™d have no problem bringing in a successful defensive coordinator from maybe a C-USA or Sun Belt school if we look up at the end of the season, and weā€™re giving up lots of yards and points to AAC opponents. I thought we may have turned a bit of a corner against Arizona. Wrong. Of course, there are a lot of teams Tech would blitz at home when they get on a roll but still . . . From what I can gather Dā€™Onofrio is a pretty good recruiter for a coordinator, and while I get that weā€™d like to see more blitzing (successful blitzing anyway), he just comes off to me more as a ā€œbend-donā€™t-breakā€ guy. That is a tough philosophy against Tech, which can take 7 yards most any time they want and then often turn that into 27 yards. Anyway, no one is getting fired three games into the season. Letā€™s hope opinions have changed by seasonā€™s end.

There is no reason to fire him now. CMD will be needed against Navy,Tulane, and some of these other run based defenses. At this point, it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Good Coaches adjust and throw different schemes. Dā€™onofrio clearly has not done either. I canā€™t base his recruiting on anything so far. We had scheduled to play against t-tech a few years back. This was no mystery on how Dā€™Onofrio had to prepare his defense against their offense. He had a year to prepare. The basic result is that I do not see any improvement from our last ā€œscrimmageā€ against t-tech. Bad Coaches are stubborn. Stubborn Coaches are often unemployed. I sure hope that I am 100% wrong and that he will get some answers from the billionth questions that are in his mind right now.

3 Likes

No EE, not sure if you follow the plot but every game Diehard has his obligatory ā€œwe would have a great defense if Orlando was our head coach.ā€

Update USC 2 TDs first quarter in three drives.

Updateā€¦ hasnā€™t scored since

He was pass rushing 3 guys and Ed was triple all the time.

Smu had 72 points and 350 total offense lol

1 Like

Look on bright side. We didnā€™t give up as many points as Lamer. Giving up 600 yards to a freshman backup QB reeks of incompetence

4 Likes

Lamar is going to finish in the top 8 in their conference. Tamp it down, cowboy!

Applewhite isnā€™t calling the plays. Briles is. We had 6 handoffs to RBs in the first half. Thatā€™s not a run-first philosophy. He did better the second half running, but the defense just got gassed, I think, and couldnā€™t get off the field, again.

Updateā€¦ didnā€™t score the rest of the game

If Iā€™m Major Applewhite, unless I see some major improvement over the next 9 games, Iā€™m looking for a new DC next year. That is, of course, Applewhite is still around.

He will get drafted if Trump reinstates it

1 Like

2 Likes