Coaching Search Thread

Are we sure that is a legit guy? he only has 124 followers, no blue check mark, and no internet footprint anywhere outside of Twitter.

Maybe the firm would be better at search for a wifi provider and food vendors for the stadium.

The tweet is not reliable at all. Just some pro-wv dude trying to mess with people.

The search firm can be used as a buffer between UH and the agents. I’m sure we’ll deal directly and quickly with any targeted prospects.

That’s correct.

It was always my understanding that search firms just identify possible candidates that fit a certain profile given by the school. RK, HY and TF will make the final decision and I trust them to find a good coach.

Edited to point out Tilman’s KHOU interview. He flat out said we won’t be a stepping stone this time around because we’re going to write our next contract differently. We’re a good enough job to be able to pull that off even with really good, established coaches now.

1 Like

Correct.

I’m not sure that writing a contract with a large buyout is a good idea. Buyouts go both ways, you know. We could very well wind up handicapping our program by hiring a coach like Dykes or Mullen to a giant contract with a huge buyout and having him fail.

Buyouts only go both ways if they are written that way. In a true arms length transaction with equal negotiating power, they are usually equal, but one side (UH) can easily trade money for an unequal buyout.

I like Chip Lindsey from Southern Miss and Arizona State.
Great at developing QB’s

I, personally, would look long and hard at Dana Holgerson. Duarte said in a recent article that Holgerson coming here is not a pipe dream.

One name that could prominently emerge in the search is Holgorsen, who was offensive coordinator at UH under Kevin Sumlin. While a move from a Power Five school to the Group of Five is uncommon, Holgorsen earlier this year turned down a contract extension and would entertain a change in addresses, two sources said Saturday. The No. 18 Mountaineers are currently 9-2 and heading to a fifth consecutive bowl appearance under Holgorsen.

I love his offensive schemes. If he were able to recruit Houston, look out! His offense is explosive to say the least. Check out the longs for RBs and WRs from this year:

If we hire Holgerson, that means Orlando didn’t get the job and I can’t imagine he would stay here in that scenario. I don’t have any ideas for coordinators at this point, but I would want him to hit a home run for the DC spot.

I don’t think you understand the nature of college coaching contracts. A contract without a buyout allows the coach to move on but the employer must pay the remainder of the contract if he is fired for lack of results. For example, if we sign someone like Leach to a 5 year contract for $3 million a year plus performance bonuses, no buyout for either party and was fired after 3 years, the school would still have to pay the remaining $6 million on the contract. However after 3 years, if he takes a pay increase elsewhere, the school is back to starting from scratch again.

After the Levine and Dickey hires, we were desperate and I understand that we wouldn’t attract names like Sampson and Herman with a buyout. This is a tough business and we would be stupid at this point to hire anyone based on them saying “I plan to stick around” and not have anything in the contract that compensates the university if that was just something they said to get hired.

Having three coaches in 10 years move on to power 5 schools is enough. We need to find a coach that sees us as an opportunity to become something huge and not just as an opportunity to move on to something that pays more. Any coach that passes on a guaranteed $15 over 5 years plus bonuses because he would have to agree to the university getting paid if he left early, is a coach that didn’t plan to stay anyway.

1 Like

Way out in left (coast) field name…Mark Helfrich. Supposedly Oregon’s hired a search firm to replace him. No local ties. Had lots of injuries to deal with at UO.

Just another potential name for the pot.

Another thing to note on the coaching search: Hunter Yurachek is not afraid to think outside the box when it comes to hiring a football coach. The last football coach he hired: Joe Moglia, head coach at Coastal Carolina, former TD Ameritrade CEO, and holder of a career 50-15 record, and playoff appearances in 4 of his 5 seasons.

Gotta give them credit for the Chuck Martin hire at Miami of Ohio. He took over an 0-12 team and has them bowling this year after the Redhawks won their last 6 games of the season. They started 0-6.

1 Like

Would anyone be interested in having Brian kelly? I heard he had his agent contact us about the position, Notre dame had a really bad year and he has a few scandals under his belt but would he be a good hire?

FWIW, the Holgo contract extension seems to have not materialized, at least yet. Credit to @tccoog10 for calling this.

1 Like

Good discussion, some good points. No to Kelly. I’d roll the dice with Leach. It would be fun. Make him hire a real DC. Can you imagine the media splash?

Fun fact: We play both Texas Tech and SMU next year. The Mike Leach storyline in those games would be awesome

#CJK5H #RememberThe5

Everyone so focused on current college coaches. I wouldn’t be surprised if any ex-college coaches currently in the pro ranks is up for the job as well.