Collegiate realignment, round 2? 12/03/2018

To me, it is not the flaws of “ the school”, but rather the arrogance of their athletic department !

I consider arrogance to be a flaw.

Well now, just HOW could the whorns be “left out in the cold”? Let us consider that question!

1. They have destroyed three conferences - three: the SWC, the Big 8, and the Little 12; they have ended up by screwing up their nest to such an extent that several members have fled elsewhere: Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, atm. And Missouri; apologies for leaving them out!
  2. Now those former members of their conferences are in the very conferences where the whorns might want to go: the B1G, SEC, PAC, SEC (again!); and sure to voice their opposition if the whorns now want to join them.
  3. The B1G would have to take OU before taking the whorns if they are to keep all members in contiguous states - not likely, considering the Sooner’s academics, and especially in view of some of the recent news.
  4. It is well known that the whorns think themselves far too good to ever be a member of the SEC, and most of the present members would resent that attitude mightily.
  5. The PAC has sniffed around once or twice, seeming to have an interest, but the whorns attitude of superority - and the LHN - seems to have gotten in the way. Besides, does anyone think that any of those prestigious universities in California, Oregon, or Washington would now be interested in playing second fiddle to the whorns? Thought not!
  6. And that leaves the ACC as a possibility. The whorns are completely outside their footprint too - would that be a problem? And, would they now consider giving the whorns some kind of deal similar to what they gave Notre Dame; two members with their own TV network? If not, that seems to leave the whorns with one possibility, whether it is their choice - or not: going the Independence route! But that would present a whole new set of problems: scheduling for their minor sports; travel expenses, etc. If they end up with those problems, they will have no one to blame but themselves!
1 Like

You seriously believe Texas could ever be left out? Heck dude I have no love lost for them, but I can’t imagine Texas ever being left out. Like it or not, they are the flagship program of the 2nd largest state, one of the richest university’s in the world, and powerful alumni spread out all over the globe. They can afford to be arrogant. Any future realignment Texas will be Front and center.

What’ll keep them tied to the Big 12 is the absolute power they enjoy in the conference, as long as the Big 12 is not too far behind the SEC and Big 10 in media revenue, Texas and OU will both be quite satisfied to remain. They are the top dogs and are guaranteed a spot in the CFB playoffs if they win the conference. In that they have probably the easiest path to the CFB playoffs of any conference champion.

Nebraska has no power on the Big 10. It’s Ohio State, Michigan and probably Penn state that run that conference. If those programs want Texas in the conference, Texas will get in no matter how much Nebraska may want to block the move. The PAC with all its troubles will jump at an opportunity to add Texas regardless of what happened in the past, same holds true for the ACC.

2 Likes

Everyone forgets about Missouri, they went to the SEC with ATM

2 Likes

As much as I would love to see this play out. That’s just now how it’s going to work. Texas is one of two programs that are going to deliver big fat pay raises to whichever conference it’s in.
Does anyone really want to deal with Texas. No, everyone knows they huge Richard’s. But everyone will deal with them, they just bring the possibility of too much revenue not to talk to them.

And with that much money on the table, the new kids on the block will probably be told to shut their mouths while the grown ups talk

TV killed the SWC more than any other factor. When Oklahoma and Georgia won their lawsuit against the NCAA in 1984, the clock started to tick for the SWC.

1 Like

Mr. P5_OR_Bust represents the UT’s arrogance perfectly! And I think he speaks for all of his fellow alumni at UT!

1 Like

Which part of his statement exhibits arrogance and not truth? UT is the most profitable athletics program in the country. Do you think the big 10 or SEC Wouldn’t seriously consider adding them in there millions of dollars in TV money?

I think Mr P5 or Bust is correct and I’m not a UT alum either. Sadly, the truth sucks sometimes but UT is not going to be left out in the cold.

He’s not saying anything untrue, just because it doesn’t make your Shasta roar isn’t really his issue.

Texas has a home somewhere, we can all hope it’s in hell. But it’s going to be in a premier conference.

Of course everyone forgets Missouri.

2 Likes

I was never arguing that uta WOULD “be left out in the cold,” only that their arrogance and insistence on keeping the LHN - MIGHT - force them to go Independent. And, I have no doubt that they would thrive there too. More’s the pity - there’s far too little “justice” in this world, alas!

1 Like

So just how much of those profits do the whorns share with their coference brethren? UT in the B1G or SEC would just make UT more money and no one else.

1 Like

Not true at all. Not even counting the possibility of wrapping the LHN into and existing conference network, adding UT would definitely add, or at least sustain it in a declining market, to the market value of a conference TV package at the next round of negotiations. See what Rutgers and Maryland did for the big 10

A good barometer would be to see what increases Missouri and aTM edit it to the sec As a net despite the fact that the TV contract was not Renegotiated when they were added

In college sports winning changes reality. If we win all the time a conference will take us. If not they won’t.

Not all conferences are a plutocracy. Actually it’s just the Big 12.

If you really believe that, there is a bridge in San Francisco you might be interested in buying.

1 Like