Conspiracy Theory by Alan Moore

6 Likes

I think it has many motors going and many rudders all going their own desired direction.

We all live in a computer simulation…so what does it matter anyway.

1 Like

It’s true, better to have a shadowy cabal or government to ascribe things to that somebody is in control much more confusing to humanity.

No one wants to believe in we are all just subject to tides and forces. Things that result in without rhyme or reason making Gavrilo Princip possibly the most important geopolitical person for the last 120 years.

1 Like

I’d go with Edward Teller

you say ? I had to google that one … but I see the point. My knowledge being lite in that period of European history.

Per wiki…

On the way to the hospital, Lojka incorrectly turned onto a side street where Princip had positioned himself in front of a local delicatessen. After realizing his mistake, Lojka braked and began to reverse. As he did so the engine stalled and the gears locked. Princip stepped forward, drew his FN Model 1910,[21][22] and at point-blank range fired twice into the car, first hitting the Archduke in the neck, and then hitting the Duchess in the abdomen.[23][24]They both died shortly after.[24]

So, Lee Harvey is another hapless happen stance individual, but his actions consequences , though tragic, comes no where near the consequences of which lead to WWI, which sowed the seeds for WWII, etc…

I’ll leave it to the boards historians and military folk to correct and or comment on that take of history and the consequences.

Correct, that why he was a part of some of the first modern conspiracy theories. No one wants to believe that one ordinary man not a Churchill, a Caesar, or any other of History’s great’s changed the complete trajectory of the entire world with two shots.

Randomness is almost perfect.

No one can control,or forecast, anything.

Keeps things exciting! And allows us to know that we cannot believe or rely on certain persons, usually Politicians.

The Chaos is the conspiracy.

That’s what I find so interesting about conspiracies
of today. We have them for everything it seems. Aliens , football affiliations, elections, energy, disease,vaccines, etc…
Pick any topic, and thanks to internet, you can find a
willing group of advocates. Fascinating and dangerous time.

1 Like

Okay, I wasn’t for sure that’s a real book, but looks legit.
Have you read it ? Any good ?

My only comment, having not read it, is I’m not sure it’s just an
American phenomenon. Seems to be world wide.

It is a real book on Amazon. I just wanted to be a wiseass, so did a search on “conspiracy of conspiracies” and that popped up in the results. I was pretty confident this twist had been covered and would show up.

1 Like

Gav fired the shots, but consider the role of Sir Edward Grey and Alexander Izvolsky in suggesting what became the Anglo Russian Convention of 1907, in response to Bismarck’s (and the Kaiser’s) strengthening of Germany.

By ending the rivalry between UK and Russia, the last piece of the “entangling alliances” was in place, and Russia was free to promote Pan-Slavism in the Balkans, then owned by the Austro-Hungarians (where Archduke Ferdinand was crown prince, next in line). This Pan- Slavism included influence campaigns like supporting insurgent groups like The White Hand (Princip was a junior member, they organized the hit) in order to break their Slavic brothers away and get another front against the Ottomans, who had invaded and persecuted the Balkans for centuries.

Very similar to today’s Russian activity in Ukraine. Sometimes there are “great men” are conspiring or steering history, though not always the way they think.

“The Balkan countries produce more history than they can consume domestically.”

Author is an emeritus professor of Political Science at SUNY Plattsburg. This book traces the history of conspiracy theories in America. Seems like it would be an interesting read.

Thank you for background history and context Trent.

Soooo…this kinda DOES sound like a conspiracy on a grander scale at the
time it happened :crazy_face: ???

“a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful”

More like evidence that government’s public facing good intentions generally are poorly executed and lead to disaster. “The best laid plans o’ mice and men are aft gan aghley.” A fortiori, the petty schemes, if there are any, can’t possibly go as intended. Incompetence is a better reason to limit and gridlock government by design than is conspiracy.

1 Like

Cognitive Dissonance at its best

The question is are we even aware when we fall into these trap ? There are lots
of facts that can be perceived as in conflict with each other. In order to restore sanity
to our world view, we discount or entirely dismiss things that are perceived to be causing the conflict. Utilizing our own bias to to guide us.

No obviously not, there is a reason they still travel around the world and exist. Same with other weaponized aspects of human nature there are hardwired thingsin the human thought process that if you yank on those strings they have an incredibly high rate of success.