Coogs Conf record for 2020

Now we talking !! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Truth be told, I am thinking 5 or 6 losses this season in AAC play. The AAC is very top-heavy and, without strong PG play, road wins are going to be hard to come by against the better teams and going undefeated at home is really, really difficult. But someone had to say 18-0…

1 Like

17-1. Conference Champs (regular season & AAC Tourney).

Undefeated @ Home.

Road wins against Cincy, Memphis, Tulsa, USF, Temple, UCONN, SMU, and ECU.

Loss on the road to WSU.

Make it to at least Elite 8.

I am going with ESPN Matchup Predictor 13-5. Losses @ Memphis ,Temple, UConn, Cincinnati & WSU. I could see us doing better than that!

I could easily see UH losing 5 games. I expect for UH to go 1-1 against Cincy and Memphis and Wichita St. Then an early loss to Temple and one unexpected loss early.

Most important would be UH finishing strong against WSU, Memphis and Cincinati at Home, With road wins against SMU, USF, and UCONN,

Memphis and WSU will finish the regular season at 1 and 2 but I have no idea who is 1st and second.

What is most important is UH win the AAC Tournament and go into the NCAA red hot and possibly reaching the elite 8.

Of course I have never predicted UH BB rankings before so everything I write is absolute throwing something against a wall and seeing what will stick.

I am not saying it can’t happen but road wins @ Temple & UConn is pretty tough!

1 Like

A lot of teams are gonna lose games this year. Its that kind of season. 14-4 might be a 3-way tie. But I don’t say that because the conference is weak. I actually think its better top to bottom…just not two or three smokers at the top.

If we got fortunate and fielded the same number of tourney teams I think we could have two make the sweet sixteen. Our league can beat anybody.

1 Like

13-5.

13 - 5.
Our conference is getting stronger every year.
3rd place.
An invitation to the dance.

1 Like

14-4 - Road losses at Wichita State, Temple, and Memphis.
1 unexpected loss at home.

13-5

12-6 + 2 wins in the conference tournament, 3 more in NIT. Sorry guys.

My prediction is busted.

1 Like

Boooooooooooo!

3 Likes

I actually think 12-6 + 2 conference tourney wins would still generally give us a very good shot at making the NCAAs.

4 Likes

I think 12-6 is the threshold for making the Tourney. Plus 1-2 Conf Tourney wins should get them there. Anything worse than than that will get coffee nervous!

I was kinda thinking the same thing but I find myself happier when I’m pessimistic about my favorite team and they go beyond my expectations.

Side note…Nate Hinton is making it very hard to be pessimistic.

2 Likes

“When the going gets so rough and tough
We never worry cause we got the stuff.
So fight, fight, fight for red and white
and we will go to victory.”

Some of you folks know I’m big on the sims, which don’t accurately predict single-game outcomes, but rather, how teams match up with others.

I ran various 20-game sims on each of the Coogs’ opponents for the conference season home and away and was a little surprised (though pleasantly) they favored the Coogs solidly to heavily in 17 of the 18 games.

Believe it or not, Coogs came out on top pretty solidly in all four meetings between Wichita and Memphis, taking between 58 and 72 percent of the total matchups sims, which leads me to believe both might be a little slightly overrated… The only conference matchup that didn’t favor the Coogs was at Cincinnati (less than 40 percent winning percentage).

But I’ll go with a more realistic worst-case and say the conference record will be 13-5 or better.

2 Likes

Does The Sim know that Cronin is gone now? @ Cincy this season seems better for the Coogs than @ WSU and @ Memphis but none will be easy.