Coogs land Tx Tech DB Transfer

This is not just a Dana issue with transfers not working out. With the portal, the volume has increased dramatically so we will continue to have the potential for more not to work out but there have been heralded P5 transfers that never really panned out at UH. Some of it probably was talent level and some of it probably fit or coaching (Kyle Allen comes to mind). I recall a highly regarded Tennessee transfer on the DL that picked UH and was expected to crush the lowly C-USA OLs facing UH. There were flashes of that but in no way did he dominate.

We all want the best for UH. Probably best to avoid getting too high or too low on the program, the recruits, the transfers, etc.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Truth is that more than half of ALL recruits (HS or Transfer) don’t work out at any college FB program.

It’s simple math really - each year, a program wants to sign 25 new scholarship players so they have to reduce their roster to 60 carryover scholarship players (85 total - 25 new = 60 carryover.) And so with 4 previous recruiting classes (including a red-shirt season) there were originally 4 x 25 = 100 recruited scholarship players of which only 60 can still remain on scholarship - for an overall 40% wash-out rate. Then, when you consider that this includes all the redshirt freshmen, sophomores, juniors & seniors - this also means that while the redshirt freshmen & sophomore classes will likely still have more than 60% carryover, the junior & senior classes will likely have less than 60% carryover.

So in most programs, the senior class will have less (often far less) than 50% of their originally recruited players. And this doesn’t really change whether they were HS or Transfer players. So it’s normal and systemic and it is to-be-expected!

By way of example, the 2018 UH class (with QB Clayton Tune) going into the 2020 season roster had already lost 10 of the 24 recruited players - a to-be-expected wash-out rate of 42% within 2 years. And so next year (Tune’s redshirt junior year) we can reasonably expect to see the wash-out rate from his class increase to ~50% - which is typical and systemic across all of college football.

4 Likes

This sadly is true.

Still 1 is pathetic with 7 games played.

4-Star recruit at UT not panning out there:
https://twitter.com/247SportsPortal/status/1347667766296408071

4-Star recruit at Auburn seemed to be doing ok but entering the portal:
https://twitter.com/247SportsPortal/status/1347665489594642433

You never know with recruits now and the portal is a quick way to exit. I wonder if Elandon Roberts would have hung around for his breakout senior season if the transfer portal would have been there.

1 Like

Hasn’t the guy at Cincy been there 4 or 5 years !!!

The UT LB had a good freshman year and then got hurt last season. If he gets healthy, he will be a nice pick up for whoever gets him. Auburn RB looks solid, he is from south Florida so maybe UCF or USF will go after him.

2 Likes

Ell Ash.

I think Tennessee wanted him on the OL and he didn’t want to play there–that’s what I’m remembering anyway. Briles once said that that was the guy you have get off the bus first–intimidatingly big. But not a great career. As I recall, he had some injury issues (including a bout with MRSA or something like that).

2 Likes

Half the transfers don’t work out but then half do, same with recruits. Some transfers happen to work out very well.

3 Likes

4 years. Cinci has had 5 coaches since art was hired to our 6. Luke took over for a 4-8 tommy tubberville that had 3 winning seasons in a row. He went 4-8 his first year, 11-2, 11-3 and 9-1 and has basically been ranked since.

Also it just hit the news that their qb will use the covid exception and return next year. They are light years ahead of us and currently have a ridiculously good recruiting class for next year already while wrapping up a great year this season. I hate that we are behind anything that comes from a city where they put spaghetti noodles in their chili.

5 Likes

I also recall he had some good off the field issues that made him leave the volunteer state.

@qwanseeker how you doing brother? CDH got another one. :eyes:

1 Like

How about 4 years of coaches (Herman and Applewhite) that did nothing to help the program?
Herman rode the coattails of someone else’s work meanwhile undermining our team. Applewhite did us no favors other than ride down further into the ground what Herman started. Another few years of those two and we would have been U Mass.

We are still recovering from that gruesome twosome and from what I see, very nicely.

3 Likes

Really. Weak!!

Don’t back at me either w your :joy: . You’re acting abt 11.

Yes, I’m the one acting 11 when I’m just calling out a dude who he himself created a topic whining about our recruiting numbers. Don’t want to be called out, don’t make premature posts. Not sure where you fit into all of this. I guess uninformed complainers will continue to defend uninformed complainers. Oh yeah
:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yes xsmithcoog - all those premature posts whining about our early recruiting numbers are looking more and more
well, let’s be nice and say
unintelligent.

1 Like

Whatever. The recruiting #s are not good , the W/L recrds are not good , he’s not wrong. Just bc you are a Big CDH supporter, doesn’t mean us non- believers in CDH can’t mention the shortcomings so far these 2 yrs. UC is light yrs ahead of Coogs in both categories, I mention. Ok back to your thing now, u can include me also if u want.

Edit: I applaud the transfers but it still doesn’t do anything for the fact that he hasn’t made any inroads w H.S. Coaches in the Greater Houston area these last 2+ yrs. That’s where his long term success is going to need to come from.

All the complaints have been abt lack of H.S. recruiting two yrs running now. You use word “unintelligent” quite a bit.