Covid-19 stats, projections, trends, graphs

Vaccines need to be rigorously tested because there is always a risk involved with injecting something in your body…masks are harmless.

Plus we can qualitatively (use common sense) understand why they are effective for a respiratory disease.

But…There are no shortage of these types of videos testing masks:

OK - thanks for posting. They all certainly show how the particles are impeded. Never have I tried to argue that they weren’t effective especially vs not wearing one. Hell, I have been a big prpoent for maks since the get go. Been weaing one since March.

I watched multiple simulations on many clips. The simulations are great and they definitely demonstrate that masks are effective and especially against an open cough. But remember I was asking for the Effectiveness Rating and Certification against the Coronavirus. Here is an example for N95 certifiation against the Sodium Chloride Aerosol Challenge (NaCl). Except, instead of using Sodium Chloride it is using vapor of Coronavirus. That was my question or inquiry. I haven’t seen it so far. Maybe its out there, but I haven’t seen what I was inquirying about.

The virus suspends itself in respiratory droplets. That’s how it spreads…so the droplet tests pretty much answer the question.

Now n95 masks are the most effective for sure, but they are expensive and the real ones are hard for non medical professionals to procure…so cloth masks are what are widely used. As we see in the videos, they are a hell of a lot better than no mask, but they do allow some droplets to escape. This is why until a vaccine is deployed, a combination of masks and social distancing is necessary.

OK - fine with all you are saying. But again I was comparing against a Coronvirus certificaiton like the one I posted for N95 certification with is demonstrating a high effectiveness rating.

I searched more on Nelson Labs that provides certification test services for masks. Ths is from Feb 2020 where they are using droplets test through the Sodium Chloride Aerosol test to project against protection against Coronavirus. But reading this along with US Department of Labor OSHA, it isn’t the material and its particular effectivemess, but more of the fitness of the masks that impact effectiveness than the mask material.

https://www.osha.gov/memos/2020-03-14/temporary-enforcement-guidance-healthcare-respiratory-protection-annual-fit

https://www.osha.gov/memos/2020-03-14/temporary-enforcement-guidance-healthcare-respiratory-protection-annual-fit

I still haven’t seen a test using actual Coronavirus aerosol.

https://fox17.com/news/local/covid-19-emails-from-nashville-mayors-office-show-disturbing-revelation

This is disturbing that I heard today with the Mayor of Nashville and the City lying about infections to keep their restaurants shut down which has significantly impacted people businesses and income and wellbeing. Pretty evil to lie about infection counts to keep the shutdown rolling.

“Emails between the mayor’s senior advisor and the health department reveal only a partial picture.”

It’s a Sinclair station. I’d toss it in the trash like most of the linked stories you post.

4 Likes

The thing about masks is that they have two purposes:

1. To protect the wearer by filtering air being inhaled.
  2. To protect others by decreasing the viral load being expelled by asymptomatic COVID carriers.

N95’s are most effective for sure, but are only really practical for use when you are knowingly going to be interacting with someone with COVID. They are mostly designed to protect the wearer…and yes fit matters a lot. My wife was an ICU nurse in the medical center during SARs, and whenever she entered a room with a SARs patient, they would fit test the mask before entering a room to treat an infected patient.

Mass use of cloth masks is intended primarily to protect the public from asymptomatic carriers. Chances are if someone is sick, they are not going to be out and about…but putting a mask on when heading to the store is all about protecting others in the event that you are unknowingly carrying the virus. Cloth masks reduce the build up of the viral load in public places if someone is infected, and decrease the distance the respiratory droplets are expelled. Those videos show that simply talking without a mask projects droplets a pretty good distance.

To me masks is mostly about protecting workers and at risk people who are out and about. Even young workers in a store are at risk if we do not mask up because they are spending hours in their workplaces, so if the viral load in a space is high, they could take a lot of it in.

2 Likes

Masks still being discussed in the
middle of Septmember .

This topic (masks) may yet end up being added
to the forbidden topics list on Coogfans.

4 Likes

I’ve seen more disturbing information withheld in the news recently.

In any event, COVID is pretty clearly spreading at bars and restaurants even if it wasn’t in Nashville in June/July. So they weren’t all wrong wanting to keep them limited.

2 Likes

You can’t have lockdowns and restrictions that are not evenly applied. This federal judge is correct:

It doesn’t make sense that you can have gyms open but bars with outdoor venues closed. It doesn’t make sense that you have restaurants open but bars closed. You can’t pick winners and losers, especially when the standards don’t appear to be evenly applied.

Here is a little more on the federal judge’s ruling:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2020-09-16/trump-appointed-judge-rules-covid-19-lockdown-unconstitutional

If it’s pretty evil to lie about infections to keep a partial shutdown which still helped save some lives, how evil is it to lie about the seriousness of the virus, downplay masks, and make jokes which led to over 200k deaths and counting?

Before you go on some rant about how business matter just as much as lives, I am one whose business has been destroyed by this. Would rather have that happen to me than my parents die. If everybody took it seriously starting in February/March my business and most others would be back to normal. Instead businesses are still struggling and people are still dying at over 800 a day.

8 Likes

The baby did nit have covid. read a post by the mother of the child and she told what really happened to the baby.

Amen, Fort Worth. My business did less than 10% of normal summer business, but my 89-year old mother in assisted-living facility is alive.

6 Likes

FW I can only imagine what business owners are having to face.

We had a chance to get ahead of this and we didn’t. And it never should have to come down to making a choice between a business or a family member.

It was political panic and pressure. Both parties first response was to protect the stock market.

The sad part is we are rationalizing 30k new cases per day and 800 deaths a day as being OK. We are plateauing now, and that does not bode well for consumer confidence and safety.

This week our company made the tough decision of having to start restructuring. The US market is the only market we are doing this in. No one could forecast the US would still be in this state going into the fall our European counterparts are in a much better place. I have to break the news to my teams on Monday. Everyday peoples lives are getting turned upside down. And it didn’t have to be this way.

3 Likes

This point is missed by some. All of the angst about the lockdowns is misapplied, IMO. Especially now that know what was understood (and not shared) in early February.

The “lockdowns” were a symptom of a larger problem. We had no clue what to do and were completely unprepared. That lost month could have been used to get us ready for what was to come. Instead it was lost.

We were completely panicked and reactive. Given our lack of preparation, doing anything else would have been next to impossible.

1 Like

Yes, so true. But people at the highest level knew and rolled the dice and it did not play out.

Ok, any administration was going to make a mistake. But the repeated mistakes, denials and misinformation is just maddening, when they knew the entire time.

Just like the story of the plan to send masks to every household via usps that was shut down. If it proves true, how many lives would have been saved.

2 Likes

Agree, mistakes happen and are expected. I can go with that. It was bound to happen with something like this.

But you must own and learn from them. That’s not happening at all. No admission of any even when it’s so clear. Maybe some of it is going on behind the scenes. We can hope anyway.

1 Like

Speaking of behind the scenes …

2 Likes

And the asinine previous guidelines are rolled back.
How can any person, biased or unbiased, allow this
to go on and not raise their voice about this.

3 Likes

Confusion is the goal

2 Likes