Craziness Poll: Only about half of Americans would take COVID vaccine if they had the chance

Mystik,

As I said above, I’d be perfectly OK with a foreign developed vaccine, from ANY country… PROVIDED that it is properly tested and approved by the FDA. Not every great medical discovery HAS to be made in America, although that would be nice.

Once a vaccine is FDA approved, however, no matter where it’s made…I’M GETTING IT…even if it means paying for it out of my own pocket.

I can’t understand anyone that wouldn’t.

I put anti-COVID vaccine hysteria on about the same level as the anti-anthrax vaccine hysteria from the late 90s and early 2000s…and I say this as someone is who received all six shots in the anthrax series as well as three or four annual boosters, and two smallpox vaccines during his military career.

Yes as long as it’s put through the normal scrutiny of the FDA I’m good. But if it’s not tested with the same rigor that the FDA would test any other vaccine, I won’t be first in line. Maybe give it a couple weeks. I will at least study it a bit more than I would say a normal flu vaccine, which I don’t think twice about.

I’m not not anti-vaxxer at all, but I’ve just seen way too much shortcutting safety measure to chase wishful outcomes amidst these months under covid.

If there is any doubt that the vaccine is safe, or if the pressure to push this out as quickly as possible means that it wasn’t tested as thoroughly, I will wait. Simple as that.

Which one? There may be 3 or 4 that get approved

Delmar,
I was wondering how this may work as well on the
multiple organizations working on vaccines. When
FDA approves the first one, do the others keep their
program going or just close up shop ? I assume not
every organization will submit their application on the same day to the FDA for approval. And each country may not just accept FDA as the de facto
authority.

And why would they? We’ve shown ourselves to be unreliable lately. I would take out approvals and words about as seriously as the world takes the Russian news.

1 Like

It seems to me that anybody that relies solely on the FDA is acting foolishly. And certainly folks in other countries aren’t really too concerned about what the FDA has to say about much of anything.

There will likely to be multiple vaccines developed and utilized in different countries just as there have been multiple testing techniques - and their selection & use will most likely be based upon their availability due to supply chain limitations.

And don’t be too surprised to see China try to corner the market on vaccines just as they did on PPD equipment.

Its amazing that so many answered “No”. Would be interesting to hear their reasoning. Which appears to be options coming soon, we all may have decisions to make regarding the vaccine.

I think it’s on par with seasonal flu rate for
vaccinations. I think it will be closer to 80% when
you consider 30% crowd will probably opt in as
has been pointed out. I would be in that 30% crowd
too.

OTOH, to really suppress the pandemic you may need the greatest number of vaccinations in the shortest period of time to be most effective ?

Curious who else you will rely on for your decision to
take vaccine a,b,c… ? And or country X, y, or z ?

2 Likes

I’m far from anti-vax, but it does worry me that fast-tracking a vaccine could cause us to miss long-term complications or side effects that might result. I probably wouldn’t get the vaccine on Day 1 for that reason. I still would eventually get it, after a length of time that made me feel comfortable that it was safe.

3 Likes

I don’t like the idea of being the first to take something or to blindly accept something because it has been approved by the FDA. Thalidomide was approved by the FDA; how did that work out?

being the first to take something or to blindly accept something

Red80,
Agree with you on both your points. Having
FDA approval is just the first requirement for me that has to be met. Normally I like to wait until late October or early November for even the seasonal flu shot ! With covid vaccine being rushed, I’m even more cautious. And just as an add on , there was the Swine Flu vaccine and outbreak of Guillian Barre Syndrome in the 1970s.

1 Like

It is a bogus poll uhlaw97. To have an accurate pool you need to have at least 1,200 to 1,300, Anything else will never be accurate. This is valid for current political polls. Furthermore the margin of error is at 4.2. These types of bogus are all over the media.

1 Like

Well, please excuse my skepticism/cynicism, but I somehow doubt that adding a mere 150 people to the poll is going to significantly change its results.

The truth is, the anti-vaxxers have simply WON.

That stat that one in five Americans straight-up won’t get a vaccine establishes that.

The stat that fewer than half definitely would reinforces that.

The indications of vaccine skepticism here on this string cement that.

1 Like

To be clear, Thalidomide was approved in the US by the FDA in 1998 to treat certain diseases like graft-vs-host disease. It was not approved in the 1950s as a treatment for morning sickness, which is why the US was unaffected by that crisis.

2 Likes

It also wouldn’t impact the margin of error much at all.

You don’t need as many in a sample as many think. There isn’t really magic number either. It just impacts the margin of error. The higher the number in the sample, the less the additional person impacts it.

1 Like

That is a weird take since it isn’t the government making the vaccines, but many different private companies. In fact, the success of it is a great example of why competition, and thus capitalism, is a good thing.

1 Like

Anti-vaxxers are a very small, but vocal minority.

With regards to the poll, my take isn’t that people aren’t necessarily anti-vaccine, but that there is a distrust of public officials with regards to anything regarding COVID. And given their track record thus far…can you blame them? I wouldn’t put it past public officials to pressure a vaccine being made public if it hasn’t been thoroughly tested. And that is not just a criticism of the US, but all public officials in the world too…i.e. Russia is pushing hard to have one ready by October. Their main priority is hitting a deadline, not ensuring that a vaccine is safe.

I’m not injecting something in my body or my kids bodies that hasn’t been through the normal rigor of clinical trials and testing.

1 Like

All the leading vaccine lines are just starting phase 3 trials, but have released their Phase 1 and 2 data. Russia’s hasn’t started phase 3 yet and the supposed data on Phase 1 and 2 haven’t been released for review to anyone. That’s pretty fishy. Even if they do release “data” do you then trust it from a government known for lying and that was keeping the data secret for a while in the first place?
No, is the answer.

2 Likes

Of all the people coming out with vaccines the one I trust the least is Moderna. My reason here is that they have never had any drug of theirs approved(to my knowledge) at this point in time. Pfizer, Astra Zenica, and Gilliad Science have. Those companies have a history. So while we wait, I think I would prefer someone with a history of success.

I had the first of two shots for shingles. I had a case of shingles in 2007 and never want to go through it again.

1 Like