Crow Time

Even then may be a little early. Not that Applewhite won’t deserve credit if we finish strong.

I remember one of these threads several years ago after year 1 of Todd Buchanan’s tenure as Lady Coogs basketball coach. Suffice to say that thread didn’t age very well.

I think CMA would have left with Herman had it not been for his 2009 incident

CMA should get credit for hiring CKB, that has been a great head coaching move. I think CMD needs to be seriously evaluated on whether he should continue as DC next year! My hope is that CMA will continue to improve as a HC, one way to do that is find a way to keep CKB!

I am crowing like a big dog because we are 8-1 against ranked teams.

Ok I mixed up my idioms.

he might have left for tu if he did not get the head coach job. Orlando would have stayed if he had been given the opportunity. No question he preferred here as head coach over there as OC.

I don’t think the 2009 incident would matter to the tu whorens. They have no moral compass when it comes to winning.

1 Like

As opposed to taking the HC job here? No way.

What always gets lost in these " he’s a great coach/ he sucks" “if you don’t like him you’re not a real fan/ if you like him you accept mediocrity” debates on EVERY HC is the simple fact, it’s s profession of these guys. One in which they’re getting paid 7 figures to produce

I don’t know. There has not been a UH head coach I didn’t like. To me, you just support the coaching staff. I couldn’t care less about personalities or any of that stuff unless maybe the guy is a total jackass. But I have supported every coach we have ever had and never said anything like, “Well, I don’t like him.” Just doesn’t make sense to me. Now I did come to the conclusion after the UTSA game in '14 that Levine would not be successful here and wrote a letter to Rhoades asking for a change, not that my letter was determinative or anything. I was willing to give Helton another chance after the 7-4 season in '99 that included wins at LSU and UNC; he also had a nice class lined up. I was iffy on Dimel in '02. He seemed as if he inherited the program at a real nadir much as Helton claimed that he had. But I was glad Briles was coming. I heard a lot of complaints about Briles, but I could tell he was an offensive genius. I guess I’m old school. I don’t decide for myself whether or not I like a coach based on some subjective criteria. As far as I’m concerned, he’s the face of the UH program, a major representative of my alma mater. Unless he does something that stains my school’s reputation or demonstrates that he cannot do a good job (and we’re 7-1 for like the 4th time in some 40 years) he’s going to have my support. Having said that, I agree that “the jury is still out.” But I’m flummoxed by these “I don’t like him” comments. Hard to see how people get there or why they feel the need to vent. Not like it’s at all productive.

5 Likes

Spot on Coog1!

From my perspective, CMA is doing a fine job for where he is in his career as a head coach. Coaches, especially new head coaches, should be evaluated after year 4 or so. It takes some time for head coaches to grow into the role. This concept is no different than new leadership people in practically any industry. What I can say is that based on his playing years, he has an intense desire to succeed. I do not think he will ever be outworked. He has also shown the willingness to address areas/issues that need it. This applies even when the bad decision was his. All of these things are a window into the man, and I am proud to have him as part of the Coog family. He has made mistakes, we all have. Even great coaches, includingour own CBY, made mistakes. He will learn from those. Like all past head coaches, he will forever be a part of the Coog family. Good or bad, I will support him through it all. I have never been selective in support of UH. I won’t start now. Go Coogs. 1-0 until we are 13-1.

6 Likes

Anybody still eating crow?

6 Likes

I don’t know Sam…Cheating on your wife/family in such an epic fashion that you are essentially banned from the same school where you were a hero qualifies as a total jackass in my book.

1 Like

This is between him and his wife so where it lies in you book means absolutely nothing. The self-righteousness of some folks is unbelievable.

1 Like

It wound up being more important than just him and his wife. It impacted a settlement of a 5 year old lawsuit where UT paid out $600k. That lawsuit would have likely kept CMA from being UT OC if he hadn’t been hired here

I forgot what down it was but smoo trotted out an empty set and CMD went with a single-high look and it looked like Cover 1 underneath. The safety of course let the WR run right by him for a TD. Our DB’s coach needs to go. If you’re the loan man back, you don’t get to guess, you start your back pedal and then break on the WR. That’s as basic as it gets. Maybe there was confusion, but in cover 1, the loan safety should be the last one confused about responsibility.

1 Like

There will be no crow served. EVERYONE above the age of 4 at the SMU game and watching on TV could see that the running up the middle for no gain was not working. Apple and Briles couldn’t figure that out and that’s a problem. Dykes had to be laughing about it. Why didn’t we hire Dykes instead of Levine again? These continuity hires really need to stop.

2 Likes

Crow. No crow. Doesn’t matter. What matters is attendance.

Major has presided over 2 straight years of 10%+ slides in attendance. In all likelihood, we average less than 30K per game this year for the first time since the year Levine was fired.

If attendance slides again next year, and it might with a much harder schedule probably meaning early season losses, the buyout vs lost ticket revenue math will dictate a change.

Next year’s season ticket sales will depend on how we finish this year. Will we finish on a high note and garner some momentum heading into the offseason? Or will we finish with a thud for the third consecutive year?

Ball’s in your court Major. It’s Missouri time. Show me.

4 Likes

What matters is wins. Attendance will follow.

1 Like

What matters is what Herbstreit says.

Lots of unhappy people after watching “soft zone” against SMU. Many times, the CB’s were 8 yds off LOS. Keeping the ball in front of D might have worked if coach remembered how King can pass the ball, & if the receivers remembered how to catch the ball. Too many “catchable” balls were dropped, and if it was only “one drop” that is too many . . . . .

1 Like