D allowed 468 yards passing, really? REALLY?!

Don’t confuse 'em with facts PRay.

1 Like

what i noticed in the last few games, is that they would rest oliver at times and this directly coincided with the other teams moving the ball effectively against us. in fact most teams would go no huddle hurry up as soon as oliver came out. you guys with recorded games can go check this out on tape.
what is scary is that without big ed, we are a mediocre defense at best.
the defensive front push and his penetration are disruptive to the QB and covers the poor corner play. when that pressure is missing any decent qb can move the ball against us.

2 Likes

Let’s all take a deep breath and enjoy this win. Major knows better than anyone else on this forum that we are not near where we could and should be. Every Coach aspire for excellence. It does not happen often or overnight. We are inconsistent and that is where he is concentrating on. I always look for improvement(s) at different areas for our Team. That includes how we perform from a fundamentals stand point. The “little” things are critical. You mentioned it numerous times Patrick and you are 100% right our bench has been a huge issue this season. I do not have the time to analyze our subs to starter ratio but this would explain why our defense can be so dominant and plain bad at times. Remember friends our starters are not machines and can’t play 100% of the time.
We have got two games to build on this momentum. Improvements, I just want to see improvements from week to week. Our bye week should help us greatly. I wrote should not will.

We lose we complain. We win we complain.

We found a QB and we won big.

4 Likes

Last years defense has 4 players on NFL rosters…Bowser, Malveaux, and both Wilsons and Jackson from 2015 team…how would you says Orlando had less talent. Orlando had 3 NFL DBs last 2 years…
DOnofrio has Winchester, Johnson(converted WR) and Myers(former walk on from Quachita Baptist) SMH
and FYI Kahil Williams didn’t play yesterday and Adams played minimally again. I don’t think Anenih played either.
Austin Robinson has played last 3 games at LB…former QB at UTSA. Godfrey has started last 3 games OLB no previous experience

2 Likes

Your schlick is getting really tired. This is not what we want here. You’ve made your point 1000 times.

4 Likes

To me it seems that we have the speed at CB to guard more closely between the 20s. So I don’t get why we don’t tighten it up. Maybe I’m wrong about our speed, but it seems like they can run on the edges with most of the WR we face.

Containment coverages work if you are protecting a small lead with little time remaining. The object we all know is to prevent a deep pass for a quick score. But when a team guards against the deep ball and shows a willingness to give up the shorter routes throughout a game, teams are going to take advantage. In the first 3 quarters, it doesn’t really matter all that much if your opponent gets 50 yards on one pass play or 6 shorter ones.

I look for both Tulane and Navy to throw much more against us. Tulane has averaged 18 passes per game this year. I would throw 30-40 if I were them. Navy has averaged 10 passes per game. I bet they throw 20 or so against us. Who wouldn’t? In 2015 Navy threw 106 passes in 12 games, about 9 attempts/game, UH game excluded. Against UH they were 13/16 for 312 yards and a TD. Threw twice as much nearly, yea, they were behind, but still, we knew they would have to start throwing and they still had success. Expect the same this year. I know they don’t have Keenan Reynolds, but our coverage makes throwing more just too enticing.

1 Like

If both of those teams throw much more than normal, we’ll almost certainly win both games. I’ll take that.

2 Likes

I expect we’ll win, too, if for no other reason than DK at QB. I’m just bracing myself for more bewilderment at why we don’t play tighter coverage on the corners.

I don’t care if it’s a running or passing team, or anything about stats. However what was most glaring was the lack of adjustments and scheming. The difference between Orlando and the current DC is the lack of delayed and disguised blitzes. We essentially let them go up and down the field, wearing big out a thin secondary, allowing their quarterback get into a steady rhythm. Once he got goinf he was money. Yes, the D made a big pick 6. That was the turning point in the game.

At some point you have to consider taking a risk with a few disguised blitzes. You have to disrupt the QB’ rhythm by forcing him into making quick reads. That’s what was so brilliant about Orlando.

I’m happy with the win, though!!!

If you’re in complete control of the game, as we were from the first quarter on, there’s really no need to change anything. The QB’s rhythm is irrelevant if he’s chasing a three TD deficit and an opposing offense that continues to score.

Sure, blitzes would make the game more entertaining for the fans, but why show them if they’re not needed to win the game? I got frustrated with the huge cushions on WRs and the lack of pressure, but it doesn’t matter.

Offenses like that are designed to neutralize a pass rush like ours. If they throw enough, they’re going to turn the ball over.

4 Likes

We blitzed like crazy yesterday. Sometimes on every down.

Anenih was in there. He was rotating with Godfrey at K.Will’s spot most of the game.

If Tulane and Navy decide to throw 30-40 times that’s probably to our benefit…

Our Cbs can’t cover…thats the problem. Speed is not the issue. Have you seen them in deep coverage? They can’t locate the ball. Johnson was beat yesterday and we got a break…illegal formation. Winchester had coverage and couldn’t find ball…TD. Myers gets beat deep and he’s giving 10 yard cushion. they are not good. Winchester dropped pic vs Memphis. Johnson missed popup yesterday. Our safeties have 4 pics each…8 of teams 12. McDowell got pic 6 yesterday. If we play press…teams will throw deep.

You say whats difference between 1 play TD drive and 6 play drive? The difference is that the other team has 5 more plays in which they might have a penalty or turnover. So if you know your guys can’t cover…you give up some underneath stuff. Our CBs can’t tackle either thats another issue. Also Kahil and Davis are mediocre tacklers…Kahil doesn’t use arms and puts head down. Davis sometimes whiffs…80 yd play vs TT and doesn’t finish…70 yard TD vs Tulsa.
ECU played man vs Dunbar with no safety behind…we hit slant for 75 yd TD.
BTW…thats why ECU gives up 46 per game and is ranked #129 in Scoring def.
UH is ranked 46…giving up 24.

3 Likes

ok. Have to rewatch. No box score entires for him

Actually…Uh has 17 Tos forced…which is tied for 26th. If Winchester didn’t drop ball vs Memp and Johnson catches popup vs ECU…would be 19. Oh…also Davis had int called back vs Temple because Johnson called for holding…so could be 20…you were saying?

The offense was awesome!!!..but lets remember that ECU was ranked dead last in Scoring defense giving up 46 per game…our receivers were running uncovered. Its not gonna be like that every week

1 Like

couple points…the defense actually gave up 35 vs Memphis…there was a KO Ret.
2nd…and I think Orlando is a great DC…Memphis got 34 vs him last year in 1st half and 48 for game.

3rd…part of the reason we had ball 23 minutes is because offense scored so quick and went tempo as well.
Apple white apparently didn’t care because he even had Allen throw deep on 3rd down late in game rather than run and punt. And use another minute.

1 Like

Yep, they had him playing coverage more yesterday than he had been, but ECU basically ate up our corners. Nice to see him expand his role a bit as he Probably will start next year.

1 Like