D allowed 468 yards passing, really? REALLY?!

I would say starting with Gibbs he used an attacking style to create more turnovers. McDonald, et al were not considered great defenders. They were good, solid recruits. But the attacking style he brought in and the turnover culture he created seemed to really take off.
The identity of the team was go get the INT (instead of the big hit) or try to strip the ball out if you could. That culture took off. It gave the O a ton more possessions. And it elevated the name of the LBs and Secondary.

Orlando was very similar in his approach, but probably better talent. But more than that, it seemed like Orlando put a ton of confidence in his players. And they responded.

With Dā€™nofrio it feels like he does not have confidence in his players. So he tries to keep them from getting burned.

I rewatched the game. When we played the DBs up ECU had a much harder time throwing. It took away the swing pass and bubble screens. And when we played off those same plays went for 7-10 yards. Even the announcers said in the 3rd Quarter that is looks like we decided to play a soft zone.

I think we have good players. I just hope our coaches put their confidence in them as well.

3 Likes

I wish we had a forum where we could ask him technical questions and his philosophy. He obviously has reasons, we just may not know what they are. Not saying I would agree, but I donā€™t think they are randomly doing things. There is purpose.

Rewatched game as well last night.
I agree with you on some thingsā€¦Orlando is more aggressive than DOnofrioā€¦no question. I know CMD and have watched almost all his games as a DCā€¦11 years.

CMD picks his spots. He is very detailed in regard tendencies etc.

Turnovers: last years UH defense ended season Tied for #78 at 1.4 TO per game
2017 defense has forced 17 TOs so farā€¦Tied for #24 at 1.9 per gameā€¦and we had Int by Davis vs Temple negated by def holding call on Isaiah Johnson, dropped pick by Winchester vs Memphis, dropped pick by Johnson vs ECU.
2017 defense has 12 Intsā€¦Tied for #17 with Alabama at 1.33 per game

I agree CMD doesnā€™t have faith in his CBsā€¦but what have they done to give him confidence?
Its not all their faultā€¦I. Johnson is converted WR and Myers is former walk on. Apple white said in post game presserā€¦they thought they would have Wilson who left early to NFL. These CBs have continually been beat deep.
vs ECUā€¦2nd qtrā€¦ECu has 1st and 10 own 42 ball on right hashā€¦score in 3 playsā€¦CMD brought pressure on all 3 plays.
Play 1ā€¦UH blitzā€¦ECU quick pass/bubble to boundaryā€¦T. Williams is one on one after catch, doesnā€™t get a hand on runnerā€¦10 yard gain.
Play 2ā€¦1st and 10 at UH 48 ball on right hash. CMD has Winchester in press coverage short side field. He brings pressure. QB throws back shoulder complete 14 yards.
Play 3,1st and 10 UH 34 ball on right hash. Winchester in press again vs boundary WR. CMD brings pressure again. Wr run a goā€¦34 yd TD. Winchester flails at ball.
At that point its 28-10ā€¦UH goes 3 and out and punts. CMD becomes more conservative next driveā€¦as he should in my opinion. If we get beat over top its 28-17 at half. ECU drives on short passes, Godfrey sack on 3rd down and missed FG by ECU.
Later in game I Johnson was beat for TD that was called back due to illegal formation penalty.
Additionallyā€¦Kahlil Williams was out. Although I think he is extremely inconsistent in his tackling and not a very good man to man defender, he is quick,experienced pass defender. With him outā€¦we had Godfrey and Anenih playing pass defense for 1st time. CMD has played Khalil man to man a lot on slot WR this year with varying success. He was beat vs Memphis in m to m and also flagged for pass interference on 3rd down early 3rd qtr vs memphis. Alsoā€¦Austin Robinson has been forced to play last 3 games due to M Adams injury. He has minimal experience prior and converted former Qb at UTSA.
I disagreeā€¦we donā€™t have good players at CBā€¦Orlando had 3 NFL DBs last 2 yearsā€¦lot easier to trust them.

3 Likes

Tackling and locating the ball can and should be fixed by the coaches, which weā€™ve discussed many times here. dropped balls whether by offense or defense is mostly concentration, especially when your not tangled up with the other guy like with Johnson and Manchester.

So yea, our corners play poorly but is it because they arenā€™t coachable or arenā€™t being coached? thatā€™s the big question in my mind right now.

Tighter coverages would likely yield more long completions like you said but they would also get some picks off those short outs, WR screens and such.

So itā€™s a trade off.

Just a side note, I think ECU played Dunbar right. Heā€™s not fast, it took forever it seemed like for him to get to the end zone. He just beat his guy who I guess isnā€™t fast either. The bigger problem for them was Dunbarā€™s size. I think he had 5" on the CB.

Can you use paragraphs?

The defense has been very good with exception of Tulsa game and second half of Memphis. Not sure what the complaints are about.

2 Likes

This is important because we donā€™t want our guys on defense to have to start over with a new DC next season. We want them to be able to read and react faster, due to it being their second year in the system. Without Bonner and Dunbar, Iā€™m guessing the defense will need to make 5-6 stops next season for us to consistently win. I wouldnā€™t change a thing either. We keep Dā€™Onofrio through next season, at least.

1 Like

Againā€¦my stance on what we blame on coaching is different than yours.
You sayā€¦".Tackling and locating the ball can and should be fixed by the coaches".
As if its that simple. I have 3 kids and I tell them what to do and whyā€¦and they donā€™t do it.

ALL college football teams practice tacklingā€¦and all teach similar technique. Head up, wrap with both arms, keep hips down, explode on contact etc. The issue is ALL teams practice these drills half speed or THUD. Because they donā€™t want injuries. So why have I watched Khali Williams tackle with his head down and not use his arms for the past 2 years? Because when the lights come on, some guys forget to breakdown and use proper technique.
ALL college football teams practice pass defendingā€¦and all teach similar technique. Everyone teaches Cbs to run with WR ā€¦watch their eyes and turn and look for ballā€¦rip their hands from ball etc. why doesnā€™t Myers look for ball? Why is Winchester flailing at ball ? Because they arenā€™t that good. Of course even good CBs get beat as wellā€¦comes with territory.

as far as interceptionsā€¦2017 UH has 12 in 9 gamesā€¦and several droppedā€¦tied at #13 rank
2016 UH defense had 7 ints in 13 games. Tied at #109 rank

Just a thoughtā€¦9 of those picks have been by safetiesā€¦could that be because app QBs get frustrated from having to throw underneath and force balls?

Re Dunbar etc, ECU pass coverageā€¦I think they gave up 3 one play TD drivesā€¦never covered Bonner.
I donā€™t have a problem playing Dunbar man to manā€¦but when you play zero coverage behind it and it doesnā€™t work, you get a 75 yd Td by untouched WR

2 Likes

Would we want Brian Stewart back when Rice fires their whole staff?

If Jennings leaves, maybe as the DB coach, but not to replace Dā€™Onofrio.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure the Dunbar TD was a bust on the coverage by one of the safeties. The CB was clearly beat.

Teaching technique is only part of coaching. How a coach deals with guys who donā€™t use good technique is another and very important part. I wonder if our staff knows how to do that part so it has effect.

Your conclusion means that our guys are uncoachable - meaning to dumb to use in games what they practice. I refuse to believe that.

We can agree to disagree. I never said the players were dumb. Your point of view assumes two thingsā€¦first that if you show someone how to do something, they will do it correctly by themselves. Second, that anyone can be taught anything.
You actually questioned whether the defensive backs coach has taught proper pass defense techniques. Thatā€™s part of his jobā€¦the most basic part. Iā€™m gonna assume all our coaches are teaching and reinforcing basic football skills. Iā€™m gonna assume that all D1 coaches are doing so.
Based on your theory we shouldnā€™t bother recruiting an Ed Oliver, just get a 2 star kid and coach him up right? Itā€™s about application of skills under pressure.
According to your post, only dropped passes are a players faultā€¦lack of concentration. What about players going offside? Do you think they are coached to do so? A football game is played by 22 football playersā€¦not coaches. And each one is a variable that determines the plays outcome. Letā€™s assume player 1 makes a great open field tackle in quarter1. Letā€™s assume same player missed an open field tackle in quarter 2. Was he coached on how to tackle or not?

1 Like

I think the timing will be off. Dā€™Onofrio got a three-year deal. He will be here for at least another. Not to mention, it would be difficult trying to justify firing him.

Arizona - 16 points (lowest of the year by far)
Rice - 3 points (lowest of the year)
Texas Tech - 27 points in a losing effort (their 2nd lowest of the year tied with OU)
Temple - 13 points (2nd lowest of the year, lowest at their place)
SMU - 22 points (lowest of the year)
Tulsa - I donā€™t want to talk about itā€¦
Memphis - 42 points (held them to their 3rd lowest point total)
South Florida - 24 points (lowest point total by far)
East Carolina - 27 points (middle of the pack)

That is four teams held to their lowest point totals of the year, and another three that are right there in the conversation.

You donā€™t fire a DC after that.

2 Likes

Just couple additional factsā€¦
Memphis was actually 35 by defenseā€¦7 on Specialsā€¦all 35 in 2nd halfā€¦Orlando gave up 34 in 1st half last year and 2 fourth qtr TDs for 48 totalā€¦and I have no issue with Orlando. Good DC
Tulsaā€¦It was 10-0 UHā€¦,Tulsa had done nothing. Postma picked off and returned to UH 1 yard line. TD on 3rd down.
Begin 2nd half Tulsa drives 93 yards in 19 playsā€¦Hold them to FG.
Postma intercepted again and return to UH 6 yard lineā€¦TD. And rest is history
Re Tech gameā€¦held them to 27 despite 5 turnovers for UH

5 Likes

It is nice to see logical thinking. Truly enjoy reading your post and thanks for providing numbers to support the arguments.

1 Like

This story expresses a very similar sentiment to what I was trying to say:
Aggressive