D’eriq King - update

I don’t think that is a fair take, when the fact is, his HC asked him to redshirt.

3 Likes

I was in line behind D’eriq at an establishment here in Houston, all decked out in his Miami gear. I didn’t greet or speak to him, but seeing that just kinda rubbed me wrong…I don’t root for him…

8 Likes

King is a part of the K and W legacy of record setting UH quarterbacks

The rest of the team still cares about him, the coaching staff still cares about him

The only people upset are the mostly middle aged people on this board, most of yall never even played football on ANY organized level.

4 Likes

HC asked him to redshirt…he didn’t kick him off The team…redshirt agreement was mutual

1 Like

So how is that quitting on the team?

2 Likes

Didn’t folks connected to the program after the fact say that actually wasn’t true?

That’s my biggest annoyance with what he did, if true. That he let our program look bad and had Dana carry the heat for that for the rest of the season just to end up bailing on his teammates and coach at the end anyways.

And I almost never begrudge a guy for transferring. Maybe Mills a little because he kind of lied too, but his embellishment of why he left didn’t really hurt anyone so I don’t really care that much.

D’eriq is that you?

1 Like

I think some of this falls squarely on Many Diaz. He’s not that great of a coach.

1 Like

No, just not an old geezer and a young alum that actually played football

I’m just going by what Dana said himself. That after the Tulane loss he went to players suggesting to redshift. It was Dana"s plan to redshirt guys. Remember many players took this route. King didn’t need to, he could have transferred the next year as a grad student. But he did what coach asked. I dont see how he is a quitter when he did everything asked him while at UH

2 Likes

He even played receiver and returned kicks, both of which he was good at.

I really don’t ever remember seeing Dana specifically say that it was originally his idea (happy for someone to dig up a quote though) and he seemed really, really uncomfortable at that press conference. I remember King said it was Dana’s idea and Dana never did anything to contradict it.

After King left GoCoogs or someone who has legit information at times put out that it really did originally come from D’Eriq, or more likely his Dad.

1 Like

Then why did several players redshirt, not just King?

If King came up with the idea you don’t think he could have talked with other players about it and they decided to do it too?

And Dana’s “LFG” tweet right after King transferred is not a normal run of the mill post transfer tweet.

Its well known that Dana used the four game rule to redshirt guys. He came in saying our team was to young and his goal was to make us more mature. Its in most of the Press Conferences from that year.
This other talk is just sour grapes.

4 Likes

How is it well known?

And thinking players should’ve been redshirted earlier in their career is a lot different than asking you senior QB to redshirt in season.

I thought the whole thing was bizarre and at that presser thought Dana didn’t look like a guy fully on board with what was going on.

After seeing the tweet from someone that is somewhat reputable indicating that King came up with idea and putting the other facts together that seems more likely to me than vice versa.

1 Like

Memo to all: Most of us don’t care about King. Not against him, just not interested.

Am very interested in the QB’s actually on our current roster.

8 Likes

Also, who stopped after the fourth game? Was it anyone who wasn’t a senior? That seems fishier too if that’s the case.

Corbain and Car off the top of my head redshirted too, older guys. Dana wamted as many guys back as he could get. If don’t believe that then of course the conspiracies make sense. Sure King was the mastermind, makes me laugh.

1 Like