D’eriq King - update

Dude we aren’t talking about Qanon we are talking about the possibility that a player with a very controlling Dad wasn’t super happy with the way his senior season was unfolding and wanted his son to redshirt so he could transfer and build up his draft stock then put that out there.

That’s not very conspiratorial and quite frankly Occam’s razor leads me to believe that’s more likely since other players have done that and no other coach had done this in season redshirt upperclassmen strategy.

But why the other players then? Why did Dana say he wanted an older team from day one.
That dad didn’t want to redshirt he wanted King to transfer then. King wanted to play. Dana talked him into the redshirt. He eventually transferred. Not Dana’s plan but not a quitter

1 Like

King had to redshirt in season and then graduate so he could transfer without sitting a year. The way it played out was the way it had to though he could have stayed away from the team.

I do believe he was conflicted and part of him wanted to come back.

You seriously don’t see how a player that hadn’t used his redshirt could see his senior QB do this in what was looking like a disappointing season and decide they should do that too? It really wasn’t that many contributors who did this.

Not that it matters but I’ve defended House, Tashawn, Joe Young, Sims, and Mills before his transfer close to home turned out to be FSU. I’m not looking for a reason to bag on King but it never fully added up to me and seeing someone who has had inside info indicate what I always thought I think that’s what happened.

I’ll find the vid with Dana saying it was his idea. You can judge for yourself

1 Like

I too am interested in the QB’s on the roster and look forward to the day that we have a good one. Oop, Tune throws another pick.

If you find a video with Dana unambiguously saying he came to King and suggested redshirting without a Herman-esque eye twitch then I will soften my stance on this.

Here’s the timeline from GoCoogs and it also has a link to the presser. Obviously he doesn’t give a source for the statement that Eric King called Pez saying DK was going to redshirt and transfer if they lose to Tulane.

If you really want you could point to things in the presser to make you think Dana wanted King to do this, but it really doesn’t seem that way to me. It seems much more like this started with King and they went down this path and gave the same option to other players afterwards. If this was Dana’s suggestion I think he would have been much more forceful to clarify it rather than kind of evasive in his initial statement and when he’s asked directly about it later. His “yeah” when he was asked if he was worried about King transferring seemed pretty truthful before hedging on it with coach speak.

It’s also noteworthy that the only two seniors to do this were King and a friend even though D’eriq said a bunch of guys were doing this. I don’t think Dana was forcefully telling other seniors to do this. He did redshirt Car who was good enough to play but that was a different situation.

Don’t forget that D’Eriq effectively called Chris Berman a liar in all this too.

1 Like

What does that have to do with anything. If it weren’t for middle-aged complainers this program would have the student section and twenty-five majorettes as a fanbase.

1 Like

I had forgotten quite a bit of this…

I wonder if he will quit Miami too?

7 Likes

Lolololol

Pearland with high quality snark!!!

2 Likes

Who am i to argue with GoCoogs

1 Like

Some of “old geezers” actually played ball and/or coached and have two valuable resources: time and $$.

1 Like

He made the decision that was best for him and he got his UH degree. Miami is a solid place to go to grad school. Alabama and Michigan State aren’t chopped liver. He’s fun to watch and I root for him like any other UH grad in grad school. Wish he’d stayed at UH but…

2 Likes

There’s nothing to really argue with GoCoogs about other than if you don’t believe him or whoever his source is about Eric King calling Pez prior to the Tulane game. The rest of it is just facts. I’m mainly basing my opinion off the presser and Dana’s tweet after King entered the portal.

It wasn’t a lot of players. It was just King and Corbin. And Dana never really says it was his preferred plan to redshirt King and seems to infer it was more about appeasing him than what Dana wanted to do.

And again, D’eriq effectively called Berman a liar.

If you want to say D’eriq can and should do what is best for himself, that’s fine. But I have a hard time wrapping my head around painting him as playing the good soldier by redshirting and then somehow at the last minute leaving as never being intended at all when his dad literally said that was exactly what he was going to do.

1 Like

When King struggled making reads against prairie view it became apparent he wasn’t going to run the offense well. Some on here have even suggested that Dana was going to bench King after the Tulane loss. I don’t think King quit on us, i just don’t think he fit with Dana

D’Eriq is just not a top level quarterback.

He wasn’t when he was here and he isn’t now.

He’s just lucky he got all those NIL deals at this point.

Just don’t like what happened with him here and all of the negative media fallout. No, he wasn’t looking good with Dana’s offense, but he had proven he could win here. To me, he bailed for greener pastures that apparently aren’t so much greener. I don’t know if he would have eventually gelled with Dana’s offense, but the likelihood would have been more yes than no. I’m not finding myself wishing him badly, but I’m definitely finding myself not pulling for him at Miami.

1 Like

I can’t root against D’Eriq King and I don’t root for him to fail. Maybe I’m too much of a bleeding heart, but I have a lot of empathy for the kid. He’s got a lot on his shoulders: starting QB for a major football program, lost his Dad (who seems to have been a huge figure in his life), and has a Mom battling cancer. That’s a lot to handle, maybe has nothing to do with football, but I don’t root against him.

13 Likes

I know a fair amount of people that got their degree from UH that aren’t “Cougars”. They don’t give a d…hoot about UH, have never given a dime more than tuition and fees, and never will. I put King in this group. He chose to quit. He chose to go to Miami. So no, I don’t consider him to be a “cougar”.

2 Likes