D’eriq King - update

Why do people continue saying he didn’t quit and he didn’t fit well in CDH system. Why not hold them accountable and instead say hey I have to adapt my game for the better and help this team. I’m going to show that i am versatile and show I take on any challenge. He quit plain and simple. Or can we not say that nowadays because everyone in today’s world is sensitive?

2 Likes

King got hurt on Saturday looks like his shoulder.

I have an oddball question: Is there something lacking in UH’s grad programs that these guys are going elsewhere? If so UH needs to up it’s game there too.

He should have gone to Jackson State with Corbin

1 Like

It’s extremely unlikely that has anything to do with it. Most of the time guys who already got their degree do the bare minimum they can to be eligible.

There are some rare instances like the olineman from Ok State who transferred here to go to law school at the same time, but that’s the exception and if we’re going to improve our MBA program or anything else doing so to keep athletes here for their 5th year would be really low on the list as to why we’d do that.

2 Likes

He doesn’t play here anymore so it’s hard to be interested.

6 Likes

Hmm, ‘middle aged people on this board.’ That counts just about everyone. Must be tough to face opposition from a group this large.

1 Like

Huh? Are you talking about Ward Jr?

Are we really crapping all over a college student for picking what is best for them? Y’all, King might have said he isn’t going anywhere, but later on chose to leave. Redshirting was the best choice for him to develop and stay home. Months later? Best for him to leave.

Personal note, I chose to NOT return to UH for grad school after graduating in 2020. UT didn’t work out and I hated it. 14 months later, two weeks before classes start, I drop all my moving plans to Virginia Tech and stay in Houston. It was the best choice for me at the time. And staying here was the best choice for me NOW.

UH did it’s job and got King the degree. College for some is a path to the pros and that’s it. For others, they play for their degree instead of pay for the degree. And very few, it’s a middle ground (Deeky, King, etc).

I hope he does well at Miami. He’s a Coog. He might go to NFL or CFL or wherever the heck FL. But if we are crapping on a player for choosing to leave and find what’s best for them at that age, then shame on y’all. Heck, even with Coaches (though Judas did lie but Judas didn’t deserve to get canned from UT).

King didn’t quit. He moved on and chose what was best for him. It didn’t work out for him here, so time to go somewhere else.

King is a Coog through and through. Best of luck with him.

Edit: This is the same case with Lael Lockhart and transferring to Arkansas. Everyone was crapping on him and the choice to go, esp with the term ‘go to a better grad school’. People choose what’s best for them.

Some come here for grad, others go elsewhere. They’re seeking a degree compared to JUST the playing time and opportunity. Some programs outrank this place far more than what shows up on US News. Let’s donate, talk up our program, and try to send our alums places. US News is a crappy statistic for rank.

Then again some of us did and contribute financially

1 Like

The guy who played Kick returner, WR and QB for three different coaches did plenty of adapting at UH

1 Like

Read what I said again lol, Idk how you got Greg ward out of that sentence :joy:

We can parse semantics but he did quit on the season. He bailed on teammates that had been counting on him midseason after getting all the first team QB reps preparing for the season and ultimately ended up leaving them anyways.

His decision meant Tune had to burn his redshirt.

The story made our program kind of a national laughingstock for a couple of news cycles.

He effectively called Mark Berman a liar.

His dad was right that sometimes you have to look out for yourself and in terms of what was best for himself he probably made the right decision. I don’t want him arrested or anything and I know he’s been through a lot in his personal life the last couple of years. But what he did isn’t particularly admirable and I’m not sure I’ll ever be at the “He’s still a Coog” point with him (and I’m sure he’s not at all worried about what I think).

If he’d just transferred after being unhappy during spring football or something I’d feel a lot different about it.

3 Likes

I couldn’t disagree with you more TJCoog.

I’m not going to waste my time writing a dissertation to try and salve your wounds, hatred and anger because it won’t make a difference.

I know two of the three guys (King, Chambers and Jarrid Williams) who transferred from UH as soon as they could get away from our head coach. Those three young men are upstanding fine young man and I wish them nothing but the best in football and in life.

Take your anger and hatred out on someone else; it’s not impressive. We should be supporting these young men and wishing them the best. But, that’s just my humble opinion.

3 Likes

He’s referring to this:

“I think the NCAA probably is upset with me right now because this wasn’t the intent of the rule," Holgorsen said.

“Four games is four games, and we can use it however we want to use it,” he continued. “We need to get older and we need to develop, and redshirting is not a dirty word. That’s been my stance since the day I got here. I’ve identified a little bit of a problem that exists here, and I’m going to do everything I can here to fix it.”

1 Like

Well that’s not what I heard he left but we can agree to disagree.

Lol wounds, hatred, and anger?

Your response is much angrier than mine.

I have zero beef with a player who decides to leave 99% of the time. The starting QB bailing midseason after being prepared to start the season taking the first team reps through the fourth game, calling the most accurate reporter UH has a liar, causing his backup to burn his redshirt without really being prepared to be the full time starter, and making the program look like a joke in national news cycles is in the 1% where I’m not particularly fond of it.

D’eriq I’m sure is a good young man overall. There are a lot of great, hardworking, young men who play football and it’s a zero sum game in that if someone succeeds someone else doesn’t in a lot of instances. I’d rather pull for guys who didn’t submarine a UH season on the way out rather than ones who did. I’m not actively rooting against him but I’m not particularly rooting for him either like I did even with someone like Joe Young or Tashawn Thomas.

2 Likes

There’s more dialogue between me and Cougardue on this, but go back and watch the presser if you really are interested in where this started. There’s a ton of coachspeak, but it seemed pretty clear to me from Dana’s statements and answers on the whole that going down that path probably started with D’eriq.

It seemed to me like D’eriq and/or his dad probably wanted him to sit out and transfer and after Dana and D’eriq talked D’eriq instead decided to sit out and plan to come back. His dad probably didn’t want him to do that and hit up Berman while D’eriq was either wavering or talking with his dad about possibly transferring.

I understand how it all happened and it doesn’t mean he is a bad young man. But it was kind of crappy, even if it was understandable.

Coogs took the high road. Came back to bite them in the ass (as evidenced is this thread) but was the right thing to do in order not to look bad in the future. Back door deal did not throw King or his dad under the bus.

2 Likes

King is being well paid to lose games at Miami.

4 Likes