D’Onofrio

Sorry, Tulsa will probably score 70. Excellent point. I concede.

UH does not have a lot of talent in the secondary. They brought in two P5 guys and you saw what they did, not much. Davis got hurt early in the first qtr. For those that want to blitz, who you gonna rely to make a tackle? The opponent makes too many yds after contact. Please tell me who in the secondary is going make a tackle?
If you get rid of cmd, you hope he takes the current secondary with him.

1 Like

Question for those that have played defense — what value does an extremely slow safety blitz add? I have noticed this over the course of the last two years we have guys “blitzing” in a very controlled manner — no speed. I played QB, definitely not at the college level— but playing that position that would do absolutely nothing to throw me off. Since it’s so slow developing, it gives blockers time to adjust and pick it up.

Just baffles the mind.

2 Likes

Tackling in the secondary, without a doubt, is a huge issue that should have been more than clear after last week. No improvements whatsoever this week.

You point is valid, I would have just liked to throw the true freshman a curve ball every now and then.

1 Like

Enjoy your vacation.

2 Likes

Yes, in a nutshell, I think this is the problem with the defense. No creativity.

3 Likes

U[quote=“rich2351, post:67, topic:13863, full:true”]
UH does not have a lot of talent in the secondary. They brought in to P5 guys and you saw what they did, not much. Davis got hurt early in the first qtr. For those that want to blitz, who you gonna rely to make a tackle? The opponent makes too many yds after contact. Please tell me who in the secondary is going make a tackle?
If you get rid of cmd, you hope he takes the current secondary with him.
[/quote]

Who was so talented on offense last year? We bring in a new OC and suddenly we can score in under 2 minutes, complete 20+ yard passes and score more than 20 points a game. The only place we don’t have talent on defense is at the coaching position.

1 Like

Actually you have to wonder the impact stevenson could of had the last two years? He’s been injuried the last 2 years. He has been the difference so far.

1 Like

A great pass rush can make a bad secondary look better. OTOH a bad pass rush can make a great secondary look bad.

5 Likes

Don’t underestimate the difference coaching makes. I said it about the OC last year and folks on here blasted me. Even claiming that since I have never coached football how would I know what’s on the coaching and what’s on the players.

Put me on the record that our defensive problems are with the coaching. We have the players to have a good defense. Not world beating defense but way better than what we saw today.

6 Likes

Get back to me when the initial contact/tackle count go up. Watching tcu vs OSU and tcu secondary was doing a very good job.

Orlando’s defense is putting pressure on the USC freshman qb and it’s working. Learn Donofrio!!!’

4 Likes

Man, I hate those so much. I have no idea the answer. Did you see the one where the guy “blitzing” slowed down and started acting like he was trying to fake out or juke the O-lineman like 3 yards before he got to him? Was just hilarious, never he got close to making an impact on the play. What in the hell are these guys being taught? Need more just pinning their ears back and making plays. Seems like we overthink everything. Just go make a tackle!

1 Like

I was just thinking that. While watching the game. I really miss him. It didn’t work all the time but it worked most of the time.

We did that last year too. Takes 5-7 seconds for the safety to get there and is most often completely ineffective. Makes me crazy.

2 Likes

I want to know what scheme Donifario could have ran tonight that would have changed the outcome?

Texas is blowing out USC

Dorito gave up 63 points.

Parse it all you want. He was 7 points better than Lamar’s defense.

5 Likes

Want to mae it look worse? TT had scoring drives of 6 yards, 31 yards, 38 yards, 50 yards, 51 yards, and 58 yards vs Lamar. Thats 6 TD drives under 60 yards including 3 under 40.

Vs UH the shortest td drive was 44 yards with other td drives of 57, 57, and 59.

So the TT offense had to have longer drives to score vs UH than against Lamar

Thanks