Dana Holgorsen Media Availability (4/12/21)

I’m not sure if this was posted already, but CDH’s latest spring ball presser, from yesterday. One thing I like about him is he isn’t into “coach speak.” He’ll call out players and himself (and his staff) if they aren’t performing (which they haven’t the past two seasons). So when he says he’s excited about this team, especially depth wise, I think we should all be as well. I’m going to enjoy breaking the team down as I’ll be writing “position breakdowns” starting in June. I’ll also be writing an article on how he and his staff is recruiting, via the portal. It isn’t going away. Some very interesting comments starting around the 20 minute mark.

6 Likes

Interesting, looking for 2 WRs

6, 7 or 8 schollies available

1 Like

When are the open practices? I’m thinking this Friday and Saturday. Also, is the Red and White game gone? Go Coogs!

Very much looking forward to reading what you have to say about next year’s team, Jim…

1 Like

Open practices are the 16th and 23rd

1 Like

Sounds like the defense is going to be good. He definitely isn’t fond of the WR room outside of a few guys.

I am excited about the defense. Lots of competition and lots of great players to fill those positions.

5 Likes

Sounds like Derek has been a beast, six sacks. Dana also explains why Anderson is moving closer to the line and how Belk is adapting the D. The numbers in the trenches help with practice. Dana says basically we can really practice now that we have the numbers. Good stuff. The WR notes are not promising and doesnt sound good for Bryson Smith(only because he was not mentioned and Dana named the few that were up to snuff)

Lack of depth at WR was mentioned several times.

Ditto the OL. Seems pleased with the 5 starters but wants more depth.

Ditto the QB position. Only has Ike as an upper classman backup. Said Massoud and Kopp were “only Freshmen”. Look for a transfer QB I predict.

Says future recruiting will be 2/3 Transfers and 1/3 High School “for the foreseeable future”. Said we won’t sign a lot of Ed Olivers out of high school and that some signees become developmental projects. Then they do not develop.

Get the sense that our Defense will be special. Essentially said he has no concerns with it.

My guess is our Offense will not lead the Nation in yards or points.

Field position could be much improved with a killer Defense. That seems to be a plan that could succeed.

1 Like

For the last 10 years, UH has usually had a reliable defense.

It’s just that the offense is lackluster when there isn’t a K or W surnamed qb under center. It may be a coincidence but its statistically true

I’ve been paying so much attention to basketball that I’m out of the loop on football now. Are there any transfer or JUCO QBs we have been actively recruiting?

I really wish Massoud had gotten all the back up QB reps last year instead of Holgy Jr. since it was a free year. That would likely come in really handy right about now.

1 Like

In discussing the D, my ears perked up when he said we were having a hard time blocking Derick Parish and that Logan Hall has been the best player so far this spring. Derick was impressive in the scrimmage last Friday as was Hall. I will probably be back out there again Friday and will try to be a little more focused on a couple of players and positions.

Interesting comments about QB. It sounds like Massoud and Kopp will need to really get it together soon to be ready next fall. I would expect nothing less from Kopp who has had 9 days experience and should normally still be in HS right now. It sounds like we will be looking for another QB to back up Tune, he said we need to have someone who can be ready if Tune gets hurt.

Oh yeah, another thing that caught my attention was the statement that our recruiting will probably be 60% transfer portal and juco in the future. So, be warned that our class rankings will suffer and don’t get worked up over it.

5 Likes

Salty D…Excellent, that’s what wins Championships

Very good interview, really like how he doesn’t hold back on sharing information. He got me fired up want to go see for myself this Friday.

2 Likes

I appreciate Holgorsen’s candor as well.

So much better than coachspeak.

Lots of Spring truths end up as fall lies

7 Likes

When are open practices?

April 16 and 23

Cougardue, who does CDH mention by name as receivers he is happy with?
Thanks, as i am not able to hear his comments on line as i have no speaker…

What time and is it in the stadium? Thanks