David Gibbs

Enough said.

4 Likes

Damn straight.

Ya Woo David Gibbs

1 Like

Consensus sentiment from the Tech message board after their victory

“As much as I like how David Gibbs came into a dire defensive situation and has made our defense average (which was a huge step), I’m not sure his defensive approach will allow us to become elite.

His typical “bend but not break” defensive approach (as we saw the first half yesterday, much of the Ole Miss game, and first part of the OSU game), will get abused against top tier offenses. I know the game situation yesterday forced his hand to put pressure on WVU to get back into the game but he needs to understand that is the approach (a pressure approach) he must go to all the time. When the opposition is stopping our offense we must do the same to theirs.
He has the horses to put pressure on teams but needs to consistently at the start of the game (not just when we are behind)
will be interesting to see how he tackles offenses such as TCU, OU, UT, etc
”

Da fu
 they thinking?!? C’mon back David and bring Spavital with ya.

3 Likes

Our defense allows 63 points once and the rest under 30 and a majority of fans are ready to replace the coach. Tech defense allows over 40 points 3 times and 2 good games and the coach is the answer to all of our problems? Seems like grass is greener syndrome.

13 Likes

What part of the current DC’s resume do you think is even in the same stratosphere as Gibbs?

5 Likes

The issue is that we’ve lived on both sides of the fence. On the Gibbs side we enjoyed slashing, attacking mayhem with great one-on-one tackling. On the Dorito side
urban blight.

1 Like

TT was missing their Center(started Fr), LT(started Fr)
WR Vasher and most importantly Bowman the QB. So CMD didn’t face same team as TCU to be fair.
A few weeks ago Gibbs was getting bashed here after performances you spoke of and before last night his D was giving up 6.1 yards per play
think was in 5s last night
CMD at 5.52
The TCU QB is not good. The TCU play calling was not good.
What TCU does have are DE that can rush the QB and win man vs man. 91 in particular . They got sacks rushing 3. TT also got pressure that way at times.
We also saw TCU blow a coverage that gave TT an easy TD
safeties let guy go deep down middle. We also saw a TT player drop a int right in his hands.

2 Likes

Where was the thread for the Iowa St DC when he held TCU to only 10 points and less than 300 yards???

I do like Gibbs though and wouldn’t mind him back.

5 Likes

My rant isn’t about Gibbs versus D’Onofrio. It’s about the same people that are highlighting Gibbs’ best games and D’Onofrio’s worst games are the same people that blamed Gibbs’ defense for losses to BYU, Tulane and Cincinnati back in 2014. It was the same old complaints too about playing a soft defense. Allowing teams to “dink and dunk” there way down the field.

I didn’t think you were a big fan of resumes anyway. You hated us hiring Penders over Pastner.

3 Likes

A bit confused on your reply. I feel like you are bouncing back and forth between TCU’s defense to ours and TT’s defense to ours. You are normally on point so I’m going to assume you took an Ambien before your post. (see who gets the reference)

Why would Gibbs come back to a G5 program and leave a P5, some of u people ain’t got good sense lol
He ain’t coming back just like KK wouldn’t come back unitil we are P5

I know who hired Gibbs at UH and it ain’t Levine.

Gibbs’ best games vs. Dorito’s worst? Which game was it that some facet of Dorito’s defense didn’t stink it up?

I have a theory about offensive and defensive philosophy and the need to align them.

With a high-tempo, quick strike offense, you leave your defense vulnerable to spending inordinate amount of time on the field. TOS is rarely going to be in your favor. The amount of time your defense has to spend on the field is an important factor in overall team success. The more time you spend out there, the less chance of winning the game.

To balance a quick strike-offense, it would benefit you to have a higher-risk, high-reward defense. Focus on big plays, takeaways, and getting off the field quickly. Attack on 3rd and long. Force a bad pass or give up a yard or two attempting a strip. This may make you more vulnerable to the explosive big play, but the goal is to get a stop, get a turnover, get your defense off and your offense on the field quickly - one way or another.

The No’D defense is the polar opposite of this. They focus on preventing the explosive play, allow the opposing offense to work it’s way up the field. Give up everything underneath. Bend, bend, bend, give up a few 3rd downs, and try to lock down once in the Red Zone. Prevent the big play at the expense of staying on the field. If you’re a Navy or Big 10 team that focuses on the ground game, time of possession, and pounding the defense play after play, the No’D defense may be ideal. You’re not putting the defense at risk of wearing out by continuously placing them on the field as you will possess the ball for a long period of time.

Right now, our offensive and defensive strategies do not align. We’ll quick strike on offense and leave our defense exposed to remain on the field for extended drives. Not only does our D wear out, but the No’D philosophy prevents our high-potency offense to come back onto the field. It may be counter-intuitive, but a riskier defensive approach may actual provide better long-term benefit for the team.

3 Likes

If he lost his job because KK was fired, not sure how many good P5s would go after him. Last time I checked an average Ole Miss dropped 47 on them, we had 49, and West Virginia cruised to 42 points. The OK State game was great, but not sure why anybody is going crazy about the TCU game. TCU offense only had 13 points in the last 6 quarters heading into it. Going back to the 4th quarter of the Ohio St game, TCU has been downright terrible on offense, averaging 3 points a quarter.

1 Like

Lol. I was just pontificating a little. I realize you weren’t comparing CMD to Patterson and TCU vs TT
I just threw that in as it was something that stuck out to me
Bowman seems to make TT a different team.

3 Likes

Not to take anything away from Bowman, but not having Vasher is also making a bit of a difference.

5 Likes

You are what your record says you are. What is Gibbs record as a DC?

Then who. ?