DCTF Houston Predictions

And we can ignore that they threw an INT into our end zone in the 1st half.

Isn’t that the defense doing their job or are you implying that a defense isn’t dominating if they are allowing no points about allow a team to cross the 50?

I think you are downplaying the game between Dabo and $75M Jimbo. It will be hyped by ESPN to the point of making us sick of hearing about it. This isn’t Tulsa vs. UT.

As far as fan / alumni support, I am not sure why the expectations are higher this season. UH is not coming off a NY6 Bowl win. The support will wait to see how the season is going before deciding whether to jump on board. In the words of the famous philosopher David Byrne: “Same as it ever was, same as it ever was”

1 Like

99% you set the bar really high, Houston isn’t a one horse town still and we all know it. Lots of alums from elsewhere that don’t give two tops about us, and plenty of folks who don’t care about football at all. Of you said 50 maybe 60% I’d agree with you. But 99 is a ridiculously high bar and unattainable.

His point is that it takes about 1% of the Houston population to sell out the stadium.

2 Likes

So you are implying that casual UH football fans, the 1%ers, won’t realize UH is playing a game against a coach that left UH in the dust because they will be too busy watching stories about Jimbo on ESPN or are you implying casual UH fans won’t care enough about the Arizona game because they will be so hyped for the A&M game they want to be well rested before kickoff?

It takes less than 1% of the Houston population to sell out a game. 8k-10k will be students and 15k-20k season ticket holders. Means the general Houston population only needs to buy 10k-17k tickets. So even if up to 99% of the population has better things to do, we still sell out.

I am saying that UH has weak alumni support for their athletics (we all know this). We can count on about 50% of the stadium to be full every game assuming UH is not below .500 for a couple of season. For there to be a sellout, there has to be a very compelling reason for the “casual” (very loosely used) UH football fan or just the non-UH college football fan to be motivated to fill the rest of the stadium.

My point about the A&M game is that the game could overshadow the national story, all-week coverage you referenced especially if the A&M game is the GameDay location. There may be some coverage given to UH vs. Arizona especially since Oliver is expected to be a high draft pick but I don’t see it being a major story. This will impact the casual fans if they are not pounded with national stories / media feeds about the UH game. And, if UH is not running discounted tickets, I think you will see some waiting to see how these early season games go before they decide whether to jump on the 2018 Cougar train.

Don’t get me wrong – I would love to see a packed house with lots of buzz but I cannot remember a sellout this early in the season except for the TDECU opener. When is the last time UH sold out a home opener other than when they opened TDECU? Granted most of the home openers were not against P5 teams. UCLA in 2011 was probably close. I expect 32k to 35k to show up – a good crowd but not a sellout. Again, I hope I am wrong.

‘12 was a sellout
last one we had until TDECU opened
Levine :sob:

‘16 was close, just missed out against Lamar. If that had been at night, would have sold out.

2010 was a sellout too. It was also against TXST.

It’s kind of cheating for him to say “for a home opener” since he obviously wouldn’t count OU and most of our home openers are against teams like Rice.

OU 71k
Louisville 40k

The Texas Tech ticket sales were a debacle. They held back single ticket sales until the last second and were charing around $40 for the upper deck corners. It looks like the UH ticket guru learned their lesson.

Oh last year’s ticket sales were an all-around travesty. I had heard prior to the season that they were going to use last season as a barometer to see how far they could push in regards to pricing as they were hoping to recoup some money for the department. Yurachek signed off on that whole-heartedly as he was expecting another '15-'16 type season.

Price hikes? Hello. General Admission in the end zone upper decks? Gone. Family plans? Gone until they realized season tickets weren’t selling. Mini-plans? Supposed to be gone until they realized season tickets weren’t selling. Yurachek and his cronies literally thought that CMA’s name (“he’s a star in Texas”) would help sell tickets even with the disappointing end to '16. Oops.

Honestly, if they were going to do all those things, the year before with the 6 home games+OU would have been the better time to do it. However, they were so worried about boosting ticket sales for the Big12, that they didn’t realize the demand was going to be high anyway coming off the '15 season. In the end, the department lost potential money because they severely underpriced tickets that would have probably sold at last year’s prices. Again, thank Yurachek for that as he (per recommendation from his staff) completely misread the situation both years.

Hunter was good for some things, but he had no clue on the fan engagement side.

5 Likes

Sorry I compared a home opener to other home openers. I don’t see the buzz leading into the season that will make it sell out even if both teams are 1-0. OU was Top 5 and UH was coming off the Peach Bowl win - much different. I am going to guess that most casual fans don’t know right now that Oliver is projected in top 5 in the draft, Briles is the OC and that Sumlin is now at Arizona.

It will be a good atmosphere - probably the best for this season unless UH is having a magical season again. But no one failed if it does not sell out.

I’m hoping for somewhere around the Tech game’s attendance last year (36K+), but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s less. Arizona won’t bring as many fans as Tech and just aren’t a national brand. There will be some that come out because it’s against Summie, but there will be some that stay home to avoid the 11 am start.

I don’t disagree with @shaggylives’ thoughts that our fanbase should fill the stadium because he’s correct, but I also agree with you that we’re probably all going to be disappointed if we expect a sell-out. Looking at how the schedule shakes out, my guess is that USF would be the first chance at a sell-out this year if we stay undefeated up to that point and they come in ranked.

3 Likes

Sadly, if our past is an indicator of our future, we didn’t even sell out our home game against Cincy when we were 8-0 and ranked 25th. I just hold on to a glimmer of hope that as more UH students graduate, our fan base grows even if season ticket sales have not.

Speaking of, anyone have a list of our season ticket totals since TDECU opened and what we have sold for this year?

I have trouble seeing USF being ranked and if they continue with these 11 a.m. starts, sellouts are out of the question. Night games at 7:00 on Saturdays with plenty of tailgate time against decent opponents are the key to UH sellouts
Having Case Keenum helps also !!!

This year, I feel that watching Oliver is worth the price of admission !!

3 Likes

It’s sort of a damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Remember when UH was so desperate for television exposure that they occasionally put a game on PBS? It would be awesome if every game early in the year were night games and later in the year were day games but UH football gets much better exposure playing an ABC regional telecast at 11am than on ESPN3 at 7pm. Even solid top 25 P5 programs have to bend to the will of filling up TV time slots that no one wants.

Look at the televised 7pm games for that Saturday:
PSU at PITT on ABC
Tulsa at Texas on Longhorn Network
Cincy at M-Ohio on ESPN3
Nicholls Collonels at Tulane on ESPN3
Southern Utah at Oregon State on PAC12
USC at Stanford on FOX

Which do you think is better for UH football exposure and recruiting? Playing at 7pm on ESPN3 or 11am on ABC?

3 Likes

[quote=“shaggylives, post:55, topic:12821, full:true”]

I’ll have to dig around a bit to find those numbers. I know they won’t release this year’s until they get closer to the season.

Well, since I don’t watch Home games on TV, I am going with the 7 pm game times.

And having attended UH games for 54 years, I don’t recall being that hyped for the “exposure” you mention.

So what you are saying, it would be most beneficial to UH sports if they blocked all TV games locally unless it’s a sellout?