DCTF Houston Predictions

The offensive plan was terrible that day from someone who was there in person, we decided to throw 41 times on a windy day against a terrible team with a terrible run D.

1 Like

Actually, I don’t care if they televised the game or not, locally or otherwise, as long as to maximize attendance, you have the game @ 7:00 pm (or in the afternoon in October and November) thus maximizing the tailgating activity and thus the enjoyment of the game by the people who actually support and want to see UH football.

Sure, UH can use the money from TV
of course we do not get much even though after all these years, we have prostituted ourselves to these same networks !!!

In simpler words
>SCREW the TV networks !!!

Again, stop with the strawman arguements
who do you think you are 
CNN !!!

1 Like

Arizona would be a good time to sell out if we want to impress Pac12 for further expansion. Go Coogs!

4 Likes

I have never predicted UH to go undefeated, but this is the year. 13-0 with very outside shot at playoff (it would take absolutely destroying every opponent but it could happen). We beat Arizona last year with no offense and on the road. The offense will be vastly improved, as will the defense. Sumlin is a scumbag who cost us an undefeated season and if we can’t sell out that game, we don’t deserve P5. I don’t care what time the game starts, it should be over before halftime. We have Briles and Oliver for this one year so enjoy it. I watched Pardee refuse to score 100 against SMU. If the opportunity presents itself this year, please take it. Over and over. 13-0 with a few 100 point games just might get UH into the playoffs over a two loss Big/Pac 12 champ.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen any UH football hype spots on local TV during prime time? I don’t watch local TV much during prime time so I don’t know. Seems like running 15-30 second spots every 30 minutes would help get people thinking about the Coogs.

I know it costs money but if they want the casual fan to attend early rather than waiting 8 weeks for the hype to build, they need to spend the money, I think. Maybe our new video guy is working on it now.

3 Likes

I have been one to say, the current system at least gives us an outside shot at a championship but this year is not the year for that. Even a 13-0 team won’t make the top 4 by the committee.

Using RealTimeRPI as an example, this is our final 2017 ranking along with our opponents. Note, G5 teams rarely get a boost to start the 2018 preseason rating and RPI is more favorable to use than ESPN PI and Sagarin.

UH: 52
Rice: 141
Arizona: 68
Texas Tech: 63
Texas Southern: 239
Tulsa: 119
East Carolina: 101
Navy: 42
USF: 23
SMU: 54
Temple: 57
Tulane: 72
Memphis: 21

Neither Arizona or Texas Tech will be ranked before we play them, so literally our first chance of playing a ranked team is if Navy is 6-0 or USF is 6-1. So even if people take notice after beating Arizona and Texas Tech back to back, we would be lucky to be ranked 25th and would get passed up by other teams over the next 3 weeks.

In the end, our only chance of being in the top 4 would be 13-0 with at least one of our opponents making top 10 and 3 others in the top 25 by the end of the season. Can you picture 4 teams on our schedule finishing in the top 25, because I can’t. (maybe that is what you meant by outside shot though)

Depends on how big you win. Beating Arizona and TTU by a TD means UH may be #25. Beating them by 4 TDs is entirely different. We need to win by amazing margins, which is possible with the Briles offense.

2 Likes

Undefeated in 2016 would have been our shot to crash the CFP. Beating highly ranked (forgot the exact ranking) OU and then dominating #5 Louisville while going undefeated in the conference would have done it.

This season if we go undefeated (I agree that we have the possibility), we would not have the quality wins to get in, I just don’t think the schedule would be strong enough to break into the top 4. Definitely a Peach Bowl or whatever bowl it would be this year. Set up for the following season when we get OU at their place again? I’d be ecstatic.

2 Likes

Making unranked teams look bad doesn’t get you into the top 4 though. Even if we beat both of those teams by 4 TDs each, we just made sure neither of those teams are going to be in the top 25.

Also Briles’ offense in Houston put up 40 points against an AQ team only once. That was against a Mississippi State team that gave up more than 40 points 7 times that season. At Baylor, his offensive talent matched the opponents’ defensive talent. So the question is, does our offensive talent in 2018 match Arizona’s and Texas Tech’s defensive talent?

I think we should be happy if we beat both. I can’t picture a scenario where we possibly beat both teams 37-23, little alone 44-16.

I’ll point to 2015 when we beat Louisville on the road, crushed Vanderbilt and had a great comeback to beat 21st ranked Memphis. 10-0 with a top 25 win and two P5 victories, we were ranked 19th in the CFP.

I think a realistic goal is for us to finish in the top 15 to set us up for a big run in 2019 when we play at OU and home against Washington State.

Wake me up when a non-P5 team is voted into the Top 4 for playoff purposes. I simply don’t believe that will ever happen in the next 10-20 years.

I think UH has a better chance of being invited into the SEC than making the current 4 team playoffs.

4 Likes

He didn’t say we would have been in though. He said that was our shot. I agree, that was a best case scenario season. We started highly ranked, we beat two top 10 teams with future Heisman winners. The point he was making, this season isn’t set up that way.

Agree even if we would have run the table in 2016 we still would have only got a NY6 bowl game. UCF did not even get a sniff. Only way to potentially get int the conversation would be to go undefeated multiple years in a row.

1 Like

If we go undefeated this year, there will be a whole new coaching staff for the OU game. No Briles, No Oliver, No Major and likely no chance of beating OU.

1 Like

I think UH has a better chance of being invited into the SEC than making the current 4 team playoffs.

I disagree. There is a 0% chance of being invited to SEC. There is a better than 0% chance of making the playoff.

briles wont leave. if major left briles would be promoted to HC guaranteed.

1 Like

No hype spots, but Major was on KHOU Sunday night at 1030 (can’t find the video on their site). He’s making the rounds this year as he did that hour long spot on 790 a few weeks ago.

About time for the caravan in the city,surprised they haven’t been out there already. May not do it this year with all the transition in the Department right now.

Cool, then we’ll find the next coach. It’s our M.O and one day they’ll figure out it is the University and not the coaches that make UH great

It’s never going to happen, honestly, if we’re not in a P5 conference.

yeah no chance of beating OU
2003 (coach hired from outside) our first bowl appearance in 7 years
2008 (coach hired from outside) we won our first bowl game in over 25 years
2012 (coach promoted from within) offensive coordinator gets fired first game
2015 (coach hired from outside) we had our first ever 13 win season and beat 4 ranked opponents
2017 (coach promoted from within) first season with less than 8 wins since 2012

A whole new staff doesn’t always mean a school struggles.

Unless another program offered him a HC position first.