Defense

I’m more down on the offense than defense. King hasn’t been the same since the injury. Hopefully we can get the O going soon with 2 tough opponents on the road.

1 Like

If you have watched the 3 games played this season it’s beyond obvious that our cougars have an entire defense of players who just aren’t that good at football. Not being a sore loser and saying this because of the outcome of any of the 3 games played this year, but bc it’s the truth. We held Leach’s electric offense to 31 points which is damn good, we had a solid chance of winning this game, but I’m calling it as I see it & our talent on D is average to below average when compared to teams in AAC & other non power 5 conf.

Its frustrating having to continuously watch our starting safety Stuard be as lost as hell & do absolutely nothing while getting beat in coverage, missing easy tackles, & not really knowing what his assignments are. The kid plays damn hard and has passion & is fan favorite, but he is not a key starter on other good teams.

Our DB’s with exception of maybe 2 don’t understand what their assignments are in coverage and look so timid and confused when attempting to stop the run.

I guess we don’t have any depth at all at any defensive position or anyone on our practice squad who is any better then guys we keep putting on the field.

Does anyone else think that Cauthen our D coordinator & every other def coach realizes we have a talent issue & these are the guys they have to work with?

2 Likes

So you know what their assignments are? I saw a couple of plays where the WSU QB did a great job of looking the safeties off. Not sure if that counts as a missed assignment. Which plays are you referring to specifically?

Glad that we re-affirmed that little factoid

When did Leach invent Air Raid with an SEC line protection. I am not slamming. I just realized what CDH had been trying to get across for a while. He has to start a sifting process after every game. The onslaught of basic penalties are football 101

Correct me if I am wrong but were most of our defensive plays three defensive line men, with little to no blitzing? WSU had five linemen on offense. Is this why their QB looked like a statue waiting for a receiver and their outlet back to open up? I thought our new DC likes an attacking style.

1 Like

No panic. I just understand now what CDH has been subtly and not so subtly hinting about what he is having to deal with. Discipline

1 Like

The 3 man DL was extremely ineffective.

We have been told repeatedly that Cauthen is a 4 DL coach.

No he isn’t.

I now suspect that we do not have 4 DL guys who are good enough to be on the field at the same time.

Why in the world would you guys blitz with suspect corners? Gordon would have picked us apart even more. We have one corner that can play man. That is Damarion Williams. The rest cannot do that. Leach would have ate our lunch if we decided to bring pressure more often.

2 Likes

He threw one INT, and we should have had two more. Stuard’s drop in the 4th Q at the 3-yard line was huge.
Their team did not give up a sack to a blitzer all year last year. I think CDH played it right. But you got to catch the balls when they hit you in the hands. You need to make plays to win.

3 Likes

Last year was Leach’s best year yet at WSU after 7 years. In what is now Leach’s 8th year, we’ve had 4 coaches. And 5 coaches in 9 years.

We’re seeing improvement, they’re playing hard and not letting up. Doing things right takes time. If we’re still saying this in 2 years from now, concern is warranted. It took Leach 4 years to have a winning season. DH’s climb is not as high.

Patience, grasshoppers.

9 Likes

It would have been a tremendous play had he caught it. He laid out off-balance and his elbows hit the ground as the ball hit his hands. but it could have been a game changer no doubt.

6 Likes

WSU ended up scoring on that drive? Oh the missed opportunities. Hopefully, a with mix of more experience and getting some depth back, we’ll start capitalizing on these chances.

1 Like

You are aware that they always have a dump off man close to the QB. It is their system !!

How many conference championships does Mike Leach have in his HC’ing career? How many BCS bowls wins? Do you know his average per season W/L record?

Holgorsen has one in a watered down Big East with someone else’s recruits. Did you know Holgorsen’s W/L record is almost identical?

He also is 2nd all time in wins at wvu…and that’s compared to a guy who coached 20 plus years for them.

How does he rank in win percentage compared to other HCs of WVU? I’ll hang up and wait for the answer.

Somewhere around 3rd

That’s not bad for a 1st time head coach who had to compete for the majority of his tenure in the B12 when the other were in the Big East, Independent, or whatever conference prior to that.

2 Likes

I can’t believe we’re complaining about defense. Yes, we couldn’t penetrate one of the best passing O-lines in the country…but we held Mike Leach to pedestrian numbers for a whole half, and with a secondary maligned to infinitude for the past three weeks.

I was very pleased with what Coach Joe did to get our secondary ready.

What you’re really just saying is we weren’t successful in every aspect. And I can live with that considering the opponent.

1 Like